Compared to the elite programs in the country, this recruiting class is pitiful. They have got to do a better job w/ recruiting, somehow, some way.

Easy, easy. The sky isn't falling. Wait at least until signing day to enter panic mode. We don't have that many fewer recruits than we did last year at this time, and that class turned out solid. It'll be alright.

really, looking at some of the other good programs, we are in denial when it comes to recruiting and our accomplishments at this point in the process. i am not saying Pelini and his guys aren't good at recruiting, but this is a damn tough place to recruit. other than the coaching and game day atmosphere, we fall short in everything else that is attractive to today's recruits.....

Hunter, as usual, you are spot on.

For this reason, NU will never return to national prominence --- unless they can win, and win in big games, with inferior athletes. What I mean is this --- if Pelini can get his 2nd tier/3rd tier athletes to beat, semi-consistently, the Oklahoma's and Texa's, the Texas Tech's of the world --- then, and only then, will recruits overlook the recruiting disadvantages of Lincoln and only then will we land some top talent. If, as is expected, Pelini cannot get his troops to over achieve and beat teams that they have no right in beating (VTech, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas tech and others like this over the next few years) then expect that NU will not be able to attract major recruits with consistency and that NU will be forever consigned to a tier 2/tier three status as a program.

It is a tough reality. But the fact remains --- NU will have to win with much lesser athletes than their top competition before we will get a consistent flow of top athletes. It is that simple. Over achieve now in order to not need to over achieve later. If not.... NU remains out of the top 25 programs nationally... for the foreseeable future.

I agree and disagree. Yes we are going to have to win to be able for a lot of recruits to take notice and bypass what we lack compared to other schools. However, we don't have inferior athletes compared to texas and oklahoma, we just don't have as many good athletes as they do. You can't tell me Allen, Suh, Baker Steinkhuler, Dennard, Hagg, Helu, Keith Williams, Ben Cotton, Mcneil, Castille, Hickman, Holt would not play at OU or UT. Throw on top of that the potential we have in Josh Williams, Jason Ankrah, Cameron Meredith, Compton, Fisher, May, Whaley, PJ Smith, Andrew Green, Burkhead, Dijon Washington, Cody Green, Antonio Bell, Cooper, Mendoza, Chris Williams, Eric Martin Kyler Reed and we are right in the mix as far as athletes go. Are we on the same level? No, bc if I were doing this for UT or OU I would need a lot more room. Our last two recruiting classes appear to be very good compared to any class Callahan had except for the 07' class. This year is off to a very rough start but if we can a couple more recruiting classes like the last three we will be right where we need to be. But I agree, winning cures all.

I really hate to be negative, because regardless, I do and will bleed Husker RED forever, but NU will NEVER regain the dominance that we all knew growing up. First, the main reason that NU even built that tradition was the fact that NU's facilities were "one of a kind". Now, every major program in the country has a weight room, indoor faciltiy, etc... that is just as good as NU. Secondly, the fact that our staff had "zero" turnover helped tremendously. That has been destroyed and was eventually going to happen anyway, due to the age of the staff at that time.

The only way NU can even compete with the Big ones is by winning on the field. This will be tough, given that we will have largely, second tier players. It is up to Bo and Co. to coach these kids up and get them to acheive more than they think they are capable.

4 commits is very, very concerning, especially because we typically lose a few as the season moves on.

I really hate to be negative, because regardless, I do and will bleed Husker RED forever, but NU will NEVER regain the dominance that we all knew growing up. First, the main reason that NU even built that tradition was the fact that NU's facilities were "one of a kind". Now, every major program in the country has a weight room, indoor faciltiy, etc... that is just as good as NU. Secondly, the fact that our staff had "zero" turnover helped tremendously. That has been destroyed and was eventually going to happen anyway, due to the age of the staff at that time.

The only way NU can even compete with the Big ones is by winning on the field. This will be tough, given that we will have largely, second tier players. It is up to Bo and Co. to coach these kids up and get them to acheive more than they think they are capable.

4 commits is very, very concerning, especially because we typically lose a few as the season moves on.

I truly, TRULY, do not get the pessimism re: recruiting.

FACT: Last year at this time with over 24 schollies to offer, we had 6----SIX------commits.

FACT: This season, with significantly FEWER schollies to offer, we have 4 HIGHLY REGARDED recruits.

FACT: EVERYONE WHO SEEMS TO BE IN THE KNOW SAYS THAT 2011 IS SHAPING UP TO BE A BANNER RECRUITING YEAR FOR NU.

And this nonsense about NU only getting the leftovers for 2010 simply comes from is not looking at who is still on the boards. We are in the mix for a number of 4* kids in 2010 and from what I just read, we will get someone inked in the next week or two. Maybe more than one.

I have never been accused of being a kool-aid drinker, but this ongoing blood-letting is just getting silly.

FACT: Last year at this time with over 24 schollies to offer, we had 6----SIX------commits.

FACT: This season, with significantly FEWER schollies to offer, we have 4 HIGHLY REGARDED recruits.

FACT: EVERYONE WHO SEEMS TO BE IN THE KNOW SAYS THAT 2011 IS SHAPING UP TO BE A BANNER RECRUITING YEAR FOR NU.

And this nonsense about NU only getting the leftovers for 2010 simply comes from is not looking at who is still on the boards. We are in the mix for a number of 4* kids in 2010 and from what I just read, we will get someone inked in the next week or two. Maybe more than one.

I have never been accused of being a kool-aid drinker, but this ongoing blood-letting is just getting silly.

Well, apparently he is not a KU commit either. Link

I absolutely agree!

Hey mister, take that optimism somewhere else...there's only doom and gloom here. :laughpound

Well, apparently he is not a KU commit either. Link

Thanks for the link.

I don't want to get in this kid's head but when all is said and done, if he isn't KU I'd be shocked.

as jayhawk fan linked, it is worse than fans thought. he didn't go to mommy's U but just quit NU! makes one wonder if all the rumors of coaches indiffernce to continuing to court recruits, not returning calls and overal ineptitude in the process is troubling. these koolaid drinkers who claim it is not a problem are rationalizing nonperformance by this unproven coaching staff. KU and MU are getting it done with quality players and to those who feel NU is back baby? Have to wait to see what transpires this fall as have to go to Lawrence, Waco, columbia, blackwater and Boulder! Plus those who think T Tech is down havn't been paying attention to how Mike Leach reloads on the fly, inserting a new qb without missing a beat and their D was much improved last year. This is going to be a very tough year and those who are talking about playing for big 12 championship are very premature. By the time Nu plays MU on thursday on National TV, will have a much better idea of who huskers truly are.

sorry to disagree but NU's D wasn't all that last year, only fattened up statwise against the weak opponents at end of year. against the hated Tigers when the games actually mattered they didn't even force one punt and didn't even slow up the Sooner offense. bo hasn't proven anything yet, with only two returning very good defenders and too many unknowns, all this optimism doesn;t seem warranted. What were the coaches thinking last year in not bringing in a ton of grt wide receivers? One juco retread in the class and a converted rb? the returning players are nothing to get excited about, so who is Lee supposed to throw to?

And Pellini's shortsightedness about not giving his backups PT when Huskers were being blown out by MU and OU will come back to haunt Big Red, why didn't Lee get on the field? there were at least 6 games he could have gained exp at for this year, where huskers were getting beat up or were doing the beating. Plus all this bleating about all these RS's? If they were that good why wern't they playing instead of walkon's and backups? Now the D is too dependent on good athletes with zero experience.

as jayhawk fan linked, it is worse than fans thought. he didn't go to mommy's U but just quit NU! makes one wonder if all the rumors of coaches indiffernce to continuing to court recruits, not returning calls and overal ineptitude in the process is troubling. these koolaid drinkers who claim it is not a problem are rationalizing nonperformance by this unproven coaching staff. KU and MU are getting it done with quality players and to those who feel NU is back baby? Have to wait to see what transpires this fall as have to go to Lawrence, Waco, columbia, blackwater and Boulder! Plus those who think T Tech is down havn't been paying attention to how Mike Leach reloads on the fly, inserting a new qb without missing a beat and their D was much improved last year. This is going to be a very tough year and those who are talking about playing for big 12 championship are very premature. By the time Nu plays MU on thursday on National TV, will have a much better idea of who huskers truly are.

sorry to disagree but NU's D wasn't all that last year, only fattened up statwise against the weak opponents at end of year. against the hated Tigers when the games actually mattered they didn't even force one punt and didn't even slow up the Sooner offense. bo hasn't proven anything yet, with only two returning very good defenders and too many unknowns, all this optimism doesn;t seem warranted. What were the coaches thinking last year in not bringing in a ton of grt wide receivers? One juco retread in the class and a converted rb? the returning players are nothing to get excited about, so who is Lee supposed to throw to?

And Pellini's shortsightedness about not giving his backups PT when Huskers were being blown out by MU and OU will come back to haunt Big Red, why didn't Lee get on the field? there were at least 6 games he could have gained exp at for this year, where huskers were getting beat up or were doing the beating. Plus all this bleating about all these RS's? If they were that good why wern't they playing instead of walkon's and backups? Now the D is too dependent on good athletes with zero experience.

Congratulations, first post and you already get a Troll Alert award.

downriggerillastration.jpg

Patent-Troll.jpg

these koolaid drinkers who claim it is not a problem are rationalizing nonperformance by this unproven coaching staff.

sorry to disagree but NU's D wasn't all that last year

Plus all this bleating about all these RS's? If they were that good why wern't they playing instead of walkon's and backups?

This unproven coaching staff won all the games they we're supposed to, including a victory in the bowl game that most experts thought they'd lose.

3rd in rushing defense in the conference behind Texas and Oklahoma...21st nationally. Pretty good, but with room for improvement.

2nd in the Big 12 and 55th nationally in total defense.

6th in the conference in scoring defense and 80th nationally.

8th in pass efficiency and 82nd nationally.

While the numbers for our national rank are mediocre the numbers of our conference rank are much better. In three of the four major defensive categories we're in the upper half and in two of the four in the upper third ranking of the conference.

I'm not sure what team you're pulling for but my guess is that Nebraska beat you and/or our defense, statistically speaking, was better than yours.

As for playing walk-ons and back-ups and saving the redshirts...you're joking right?