Which 40 teams should make up a new D I-A?

Looks like in their mock draft we made the cut at #12. The list is already questionable to say the least as Notre Dame was picked at #9.

Live Draft Here

Well, let's be perfectly honest. Can you imagine college football without Notre Dame?

Trust me, I try. Unfortunately they have such a sweet deal on TV I can't miss them without turning off the TV. :madash

sounds like this whole top 40 was based on a program's prestige, not the actual top 40 best teams currently

sounds like this whole top 40 was based on a program's prestige, not the actual top 40 best teams currently

Of course. You don't want simply the current top 40 teams. You want programs that have proven over the course of time that they'll dedicate resources to making good football.

Don't believe for a second that Notre Dame is going to stay down forever. They have too much pride and too many dollars from their alumni to be this bad for too long.

Oklahoma did it. USC did it. Hopefully Nebraska is on their way to doing it. There's a big difference between schools that have a football team and Football Schools. Notre Dame is a Football School.

Another great idea, but there is NO way anything like this will EVER happen. Too much money involved and too many hurt feelings. It is interesting to see the teams on there though and what people "think" what the top 40 is.

I'm not so sure it won't. Maybe not down to forty teams but there very well be some realignment in the near future. I don't think the NCAA will ever go for the promotion/relegation system ESPN suggested but by 2012 when the reclassification moratorium ends we may see that this type of paring down is what we're left with.

Another great idea, but there is NO way anything like this will EVER happen. Too much money involved and too many hurt feelings. It is interesting to see the teams on there though and what people "think" what the top 40 is.

I'm not so sure it won't. Maybe not down to forty teams but there very well be some realignment in the near future. I don't think the NCAA will ever go for the promotion/relegation system ESPN suggested but by 2012 when the reclassification moratorium ends we may see that this type of paring down is what we're left with.

And remember, the BCS is an off-shoot of something similar. Years (decades) ago, the traditional teams/conferences got tired of having the NCAA set the TV schedule and sharing that revenue with all the (then) D-1 schools. They sued (led by Oklahoma and Georgia), won the right to set their own TV contracts, and it started the creation of the "super" conferences (and the demise of the Soutwest Conference) in which conferences added teams and set up championship games, which pulled a lot of TV money from the non-traditional conferences. It's only been relatively recently that the BSC really made concessions to allow non-traditional conferences and schools to allow a (very limited) number a shot at the BCS.

I could see something similar to that being the catalyst for another "contraction" - the traditional power conferences and schools may get to feeling that they are losing out on revenue that is being siphoned off to non-traditional conferences and schools.

I'm unaware of this moratorium. Is this something that was put in place back in the 70s, or more recently, or related to the BCS contract, or what? Do you have a link to an explanation?

College football is the best thing out there, but I have no problems with trying to make it even better, if you can do so without ruining it.