Is everyone buying in the Baylor Hype?

Baylor will be better, a lot better, but in this league a better team doesn't always mean a better record. I can see a more technique sound, better statistical Husker team than last year finish with a worse record than last year. It is possible.

So what makes people nervous about Baylor? A couple things in my opinion, but in no way am I claiming them South champs.

1. It is a trap game down in Waco the week before Boomer Sooner comes to town. Thank goodness it isn't sandwiched between two huge games(we play the Clowns the week before). But it is a long road trip and if the Skers record is good eyes could be looking ahead.

2 Griffin is that good. He only set the freshman records of throws without a pick so his passing number were good and decision making skills are too. We have no one that can run him down if he gets outside. And last year he wasn't the same player in the second half after he took that monster blind shot from Pierre(awesome highlight). I am on the RG3 band wagon, thank god we are done with him after this year.

3. Up the middle with a DL, LB and safety, I'd take three from BU over what we have. The transfer from Penn St. is huge and will really help their D. Pawelek is probably the best LB in the conference and will be a first round pick I believe, early 2nd at the latest. And if Jordan Lake played for any big time school in the South everyone would know who he is. Huge hitter, smart defender. He brought the wood numerous times to our guys last year. These three are honestly better than Suh and anyone.

Like I said I ain't claiming they will own other teams, but Art Briles does have something going on in Baylor but is in the wrong state and wrong conference.

I am buying in a little. They played very well down the stretch, even in some losing efforts. Two of the last three games were against MU/TT and had chances to upset both. Losing by a combined total of 10 points.

What I'm saying is - a good coach/good team shows improvement over the course of the season. They did just that.

Now, here's where I'm angry with Griffin. Damn him throwing his first interception of the season in the Missouri game - a game they COULD have won without it. Jerk! :)

10/17/09 at Iowa State WIN

That's a game I usually look forward to. Remember a couple years ago when Baylor got their first Big XII road win EVER at Iowa State? Compelling stuff.

This match up is loosing it's luster, however, with Baylor all of a sudden trying to get better...

To answer the question - and I'm sure this has already been said so I'll agree with whoever said it - until they show me they have someone else besides Griffin, I'll pass.

Of course not. Never give up. Always fight. And always hope for the best. That said, we are in no way equipped talent-wise to hang with OU or Texas. Could catch them sleeping and with a bad off night and, at the same time, NU plays the best they could possibly play --- and we catch some breaks --- if all that happens then we might have a shot. But... such is very unlikely and, for all intents and purposes, no North team really has much of a shot at the South elite.

Not now. Not in the foreseeable future. It is what it is. Nevertheless cheer on and hope for the best.

I wonder if Kansas State thought this when they beat Texas. Twice.

I wonder if the Wildcats thought this when they beat Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship.

I wonder if Nebraska thought this when they played Michigan in the Alamo Bowl.

I wonder if Boise St. thought this when they played the Sooners in their BCS game.

You, of course, point out the exceptions. And.... Michigan in the Alamo bowl was not a particularly strong team. Boise State the year that they toppled OU was quite a bit better than NU (or any B12 North team this year). The KS upset was a shocker and that was awesome to see. Yet what you point out is what I point out too.There is always that glimmer of a hope that you might be that exception and pull off an upset.

That said, while OU or Texas may get upset once every two or three years, they will ride roughshod over this league for the foreseeable future. They have too much talent and too great a talent pipeline for anyone else to hang with --- now. Perhaps something will happen that we cannot predict.... a coaching change, a major set of violations, or a slow eroding of their dominance in recruiting as others begin to get some of what normally would be the OU/Texas cream of the crop (but if so, that would be a slow process). As it stands, I'd expect every year for the next 3-4 years to look like this one --- OU or Texas wins the B12 with essentially only each other as rivals for the top spot.

The rest of the B12 is well.... just the rest of the B12. Nationally, no one will care. Worse yet, NU is, currently, simply in the middle of the rest of the B12. But we care and hopefully we'll climb the pack and surmount Kansas, Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and A & M (right now NU is above A&M but they too are ascending).

Of course not. Never give up. Always fight. And always hope for the best. That said, we are in no way equipped talent-wise to hang with OU or Texas. Could catch them sleeping and with a bad off night and, at the same time, NU plays the best they could possibly play --- and we catch some breaks --- if all that happens then we might have a shot. But... such is very unlikely and, for all intents and purposes, no North team really has much of a shot at the South elite.

Not now. Not in the foreseeable future. It is what it is. Nevertheless cheer on and hope for the best.

I wonder if Kansas State thought this when they beat Texas. Twice.

I wonder if the Wildcats thought this when they beat Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship.

I wonder if Nebraska thought this when they played Michigan in the Alamo Bowl.

I wonder if Boise St. thought this when they played the Sooners in their BCS game.

You, of course, point out the exceptions. And.... Michigan in the Alamo bowl was not a particularly strong team. Boise State the year that they toppled OU was quite a bit better than NU (or any B12 North team this year). The KS upset was a shocker and that was awesome to see. Yet what you point out is what I point out too.There is always that glimmer of a hope that you might be that exception and pull off an upset.

That said, while OU or Texas may get upset once every two or three years, they will ride roughshod over this league for the foreseeable future. They have too much talent and too great a talent pipeline for anyone else to hang with --- now. Perhaps something will happen that we cannot predict.... a coaching change, a major set of violations, or a slow eroding of their dominance in recruiting as others begin to get some of what normally would be the OU/Texas cream of the crop (but if so, that would be a slow process). As it stands, I'd expect every year for the next 3-4 years to look like this one --- OU or Texas wins the B12 with essentially only each other as rivals for the top spot.

The rest of the B12 is well.... just the rest of the B12. Nationally, no one will care. Worse yet, NU is, currently, simply in the middle of the rest of the B12. But we care and hopefully we'll climb the pack and surmount Kansas, Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and A & M (right now NU is above A&M but they too are ascending).

You, of course, point out the exceptions.

Welll.... yeah? :dunno

It's proof that this doom-and-gloom attitude doesn't fly. College football isn't a landscape of giants and munchkins. There is parity, and parity means that it's simply not impossible to beat these teams, as evidenced by... (drumroll)... people beating these teams. How much better was USC than Stanford? How much better was USC than Oregon State?

I can give examples until the cows come home, and brother, the cows come home late these days. All we're saying is, don't write us off. We've got some talent. We just need to jell.

I agree that we'll likely lose to Oklahoma. I have that penciled in as a loss. But it's only penciled in. There's no ink anymore.

Oh yeah...Baylor is going to be super-duper great this year... <_<

Is that based on that amazing 4 win season (said wins including victories over stellar teams such as Northwesten State, Washington State, Iowa State and Texas A&M)...

Or maybe it's based on those games they barely lost...like the Missouri or Connecticut game?

Or maybe it's based on this amazing Griffin...you know...the guy that ranked 12th in the Big 12 in passing behind such amazing talents are Cody Hawkins and Austen Arnaud...and 10th in total offense finishing ahead of only Hawkins and Johnson at A&M?

This is a team that ranked dead last in Passing Offense and 10th in Total Offense in the Big 12....They lost half their DL and half of their DB's and a couple of studs off their OL...

Baylor beat 3 teams with a combined record of 8-29 and and a DII school....the three teams they did beat managed to finish 119th (Washington State) 114th (A&M) and 95th (ISU) in the final NCAA rankings.

Sorry, but beating two pathetic schools (along with the next winner of the B12 North, Iowa State...who was admittedly pathetic last year) and ALMOST beating a couple of other teams does not equal a team on the rise. Hey...ISU ALMOST beat Kansas and ALMOST beat Colorado! Where's the hype for the Cyclones?

Baylor.... <_<

Oh yeah...Baylor is going to be super-duper great this year... <_<

Is that based on that amazing 4 win season (said wins including victories over stellar teams such as Northwesten State, Washington State, Iowa State and Texas A&M)...

Or maybe it's based on those games they barely lost...like the Missouri or Connecticut game?

Or maybe it's based on this amazing Griffin...you know...the guy that ranked 12th in the Big 12 in passing behind such amazing talents are Cody Hawkins and Austen Arnaud...and 10th in total offense finishing ahead of only Hawkins and Johnson at A&M?

This is a team that ranked dead last in Passing Offense and 10th in Total Offense in the Big 12....They lost half their DL and half of their DB's and a couple of studs off their OL...

Baylor beat 3 teams with a combined record of 8-29 and and a DII school....the three teams they did beat managed to finish 119th (Washington State) 114th (A&M) and 95th (ISU) in the final NCAA rankings.

Sorry, but beating two pathetic schools (along with the next winner of the B12 North, Iowa State...who was admittedly pathetic last year) and ALMOST beating a couple of other teams does not equal a team on the rise. Hey...ISU ALMOST beat Kansas and ALMOST beat Colorado! Where's the hype for the Cyclones?

Baylor.... <_<

I must admit...a very coherent and rock solid rant.

Nice to see you back..and in good form CY.

You almost make me fear ISU this year....almost.