Debate rages on about the best ever for Nebraska football

A little old...but Good Offseason fodder...

Debate rages on about the best ever for Nebraska football

By Brent Wasenius/Managing-sports editorSaturday, Aug 09, 2008 - 01:22:48 am CDT

It is the kind of topic that makes for great debate when football is still weeks away and your favorite baseball team’s winning percentage has dropped faster than Brett Favre’s popularity.

Huskers Illustrated recently came out with its top five greatest players at each position in the history of the Nebraska football team. It makes for great bar conversation or gives columnists something to write about during the heat of August.

Here are my picks for the all-time Husker greats.

Quarterback ��“ Turner Gill. With fans’ fondness for Tommie Frazier, this pick might be as popular as Bucky Dent running for mayor of Boston. Nebraska, however, was 30-2 in games Gill started.

In the two losses ��“ a Penn State referee debacle in 1982 and the 31-30 1984 Orange Bowl setback to Miami ��“ Gill led the Huskers on dramatic drives in the final minute. Only the Ray Charles officiating calls at Happy Valley and Ken Calhoun’s fingertips prevented Gill from two national titles ��“ something Frazier can claim. Gill, however, could win games with his legs or his arm and his mental toughness was just as strong as Frazier’s.

I-back ��“ Mike Rozier. 1983 Heisman Trophy and 2,148 yards rushing as a senior. Honorable mention ��“ Ahman Green. Dishonorable Mention ��“ Lawrence Phillips.

Fullback ��“ Tom Rathman. The magazine picked Joel Makovicka, but Rathman could do it all as a fullback and proved that during a long NFL career. The late Andra Franklin also is overlooked for what he could do on the field.

Center ��“ Dave Rimington. There’s an award named after him. Enough said.

Guards ��“ Dean Steinkuhler and Will Shields. The magazine picked Aaron Taylor as the greatest and no one can question the Texas native’s versatility. He was an All-American at two spots (center and guard). Steinkuhler, however, flat-out dominated opponents. Shields went about his work quietly, but was an All-American and eventually a perennial All-Pro.

Tackles ��“ Zach Wiegert and Daryl White. Wiegert won the Outland, was a consensus All-American and part of NU’s offensive line that controlled games in 1994. White started on the national champions of 1971 and unfortunately gets overlooked when talking about greats of the past.

Tight end ��“ Junior Miller. Only Johnny Mitchell comes close to stretching defenses like the 1979 All-American did.

Receivers ��“ Johnny Rodgers and Irving Fryar. The 1972 Heisman Trophy winner and the 1984 top pick in the NFL draft. Not bad. Honorable mention ��“ Todd Brown and Tim Smith. Brown was an incredible athlete and Smith also served as a punter. Neither one dropped passes.

Kicker ��“ Kris Brown. Some of Nebraska’s close losses to Oklahoma in the 1970s and early 1980s featured missed field goals. Brown, though, was money. Close second ��“ Josh Brown.

Defensive tackle ��“ Jason Peter and John Dutton. If this was based solely on NFL careers, it would be Duton and Neil Smith, but it isn’t. Peter looked like a Batman villain and hit like the Incredible Hulk. Dutton lettered in 1971 and was a fixture on the line the next two seasons before a long NFL career that included three Pro Bowls.

Rush ends ��“ Trev Alberts and Broderick Thomas. Alberts had an unbelievable senior year. Although he was hurt, he lived up to his All-American status in the Jan. 1, 1994, Orange Bowl against heavily favored Florida State. The "Sandman" could talk a great game, but he could back it up. Willie Harper, George Andrews, Grant Wistrom (picked by the magazine as the best), Jimmy Williams and even Derrie Nelson also could alter games.

Cornerbacks ��“ Ralph Brown and Tyrone Williams. Brown was a NU rarity in starting as a true freshman. Williams played in three straight national championship games and more than held his own.

Middle guard ��“ Rich Glover. He recorded 22 tackles in the "Game of the Century" against Oklahoma in 1971 going against All-American Tom Brahaney. Also won the Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award.

Linebackers ��“ Marc Munford and Ed Stewart. ABC commentator Frank Broyles ogled over Munford, including during the 1984 game against Oklahoma. "Keeeeiiiith," he said to play-by-play announcer Keith Jackson. "This Munford is something. And he’s only 19." Munford showed up for big games as did Stewart, who was an All-American in 1994.

Safeties ��“ Mike Minter and Mike Brown. Two of the greatest defensive leaders for NU. Minter even switched to linebacker for the Colorado game in 1996 after playmaker Terrell Farley got booted off the team for, well, being Terrell Farley. Honorable mention ��“ Bret Clark, Brian Washington.

Punter ��“ Kyle Larson. Earned All-American honors. Sorry to all you Darin Erstad fans.

Of the players that dribbled down their leg the possibility of earning millions in the pros, Terrell Farley gets my vote. Sure, LP had alot of natural ability too. But, man, I still put in old tapes just to watch Farley play. He had such a natural sense for knowing where the ball was and just freakish speed to get there.

Ah, well, another couple of coulda, woulda, shoulda athletes that had the world by the tail. What a shame :wacko:

The only obvious one to me is Gill. It's really hard to pick against a guy who led his team to 2 NCs and should have had a 3d.

It was nice to see a walk-on get mentioned, too.

I wish I would've watched Gill/Brown more in the CFL..Seems like one or both were leading the league in receptions before Brown got hurt.

Gill was a much better passer than most people thought.

The only obvious one to me is Gill. It's really hard to pick against a guy who led his team to 2 NCs and should have had a 3d.

I wish I would've watched Gill/Brown more in the CFL..Seems like one or both were leading the league in receptions before Brown got hurt.

Huh? Turner Gill was a walk-on???

Of the players that dribbled down their leg the possibility of earning millions in the pros, Terrell Farley gets my vote. Sure, LP had alot of natural ability too. But, man, I still put in old tapes just to watch Farley play. He had such a natural sense for knowing where the ball was and just freakish speed to get there.

Ah, well, another couple of coulda, woulda, shoulda athletes that had the world by the tail. What a shame :wacko:

Didn't Farley play in the NFL way longer than LP? Farley was a great college player as kind of a hybrid LB CB. They don't use many LB's of his size in the NFL. LP or Johnny Rogers dribbled way more down their leg than Farley did. I realize he had scrapes with the law and such, but he did go on to have a NFL career.

Huh? Turner Gill was a walk-on???

Naa..

Todd Brown.

He was on a track scholarship, but had to give it up to walk on for Football.

Tripple jumped over 50' in highschool.

Didn't Farley play in the NFL way longer than LP? Farley was a great college player as kind of a hybrid LB CB. They don't use many LB's of his size in the NFL. LP or Johnny Rogers dribbled way more down their leg than Farley did. I realize he had scrapes with the law and such, but he did go on to have a NFL career.

I agree about Farley. What a waste. I don't think he ever played past his suspension from NU. He just kinda sank into bolivia(as Mike Tyson would say). I think he is one of my favorite players ever with as much raw talent as anyone whoever stepped on the field.