How much patience for Lee?

tmfr15

There is no way the season starts with anyone under center but Lee. That’s a given.

Should the guy turn out to be ineffective, however, say through the first four games of the season, how much rope would the coaching staff give him? Would it be time to forget Lee and let Green learn on the job so to speak?

I know it seems like Lee has had a good camp, but nothing is certain until games are actually played. Let’s be honest in saying that if he was the clear cut leader among the Qbs all along, he would have gotten into the game against Clemson instead of Witt.

There is no way the season starts with anyone under center but Lee. That’s a given.

Should the guy turn out to be ineffective, however, say through the first four games of the season, how much rope would the coaching staff give him? Would it be time to forget Lee and let Green learn on the job so to speak?

I know it seems like Lee has had a good camp, but nothing is certain until games are actually played. Let’s be honest in saying that if he was the clear cut leader among the Qbs all along, he would have gotten into the game against Clemson instead of Witt.

The problem is what's your definition of "ineffective?" What are the criteria points you are measuring or considering?

For example, if Lee is throwing the ball right where he's supposed to but the WR's aren't catching it, is that Lee's fault?

What about Helu, Castille and the running game? If the Nebraska OL isn't opening up holes for the RB's to run through, is that Lee's fault?

Let’s be honest in saying that if he was the clear cut leader among the Qbs all along, he would have gotten into the game against Clemson instead of Witt.

People point to this as a knock on Lee, and it's true that he never stole the #2 spot from Witt outright last season, but the prevailing wisdom is that they were essentially 2A and 2B, with very little difference between them. The main difference is Lee's scrambling ability, which better resembles Joey Ganz' than Zac Taylor's, while Witt was the opposite. I would bet dollars to donuts that if you gave the coaches a mulligan on who they put in the Gator Bowl after Witt's near-disaster, they'd have put Lee in instead. In that situation knowing (as the mulligan would let you know) that your QB would be flushed and running in the open field, Lee is your man, not Witt. The play was a pocket pass, not a run, and Witt is a pure pocket passer.

Regardless, Witt went in on that play, and pretty much every other mop-up play last year. But that was last year, and heading into the Spring it was clearly NOT Witt's job in the eyes of the coaches. We know that because, by popular rumor, Witt asked for some kind of assurance that he really had the starting gig locked up and Bo refused to give him that, and Witt left.

Tim Griffin touched on this in one of his mailbags in the Spring:

...And I don't know much of an edge that Witt really had over Zac Lee or Latravis Washington or Cody Green or any of Nebraska's quarterbacks after the 2008 season.

Sure, Witt was the player who Bo Pelini turned to when Ganz was dinged in the Gator Bowl. But Witt's struggling performance probably didn't do much to set him apart from the rest. It might have even brought him back to the rest of the other players. And if he was the favorite after the end of last season, it was by a very slight margin.

a lot of debate of the QB situation already, as of right now the only downer is not having Kody Spano as a #2. Lee is the man until proven otherwise, unless he breaks Ganz' record for most pick 6's in a season... :bang edit: that was a joke btw :)

Joe was good, but man he made a lot of bonehead mistakes... <_<

i don't see this happening, Washington would play before Green. what if is fun but really is a senseless game, bring on the season and let's see what the progressions show us......

The main difference is Lee's scrambling ability, which better resembles Joey Ganz' than Zac Taylor's, while Witt was the opposite. I would bet dollars to donuts that if you gave the coaches a mulligan on who they put in the Gator Bowl after Witt's near-disaster, they'd have put Lee in instead. In that situation knowing (as the mulligan would let you know) that your QB would be flushed and running in the open field, Lee is your man, not Witt. The play was a pocket pass, not a run, and Witt is a pure pocket passer.

absolutely and i suspect Witt saw Lee in his "rear view mirror" and that was part of his reason for moving on.....Witt had little composure and really didn't fit our system that well, we needed a guy with some "feet".

i don't see this happening, Washington would play before Green. what if is fun but really is a senseless game, bring on the season and let's see what the progressions show us......

This. I'm fairly certain that in the event of Lee stinking, Washington probably gets the nod over Green. I have no real basis for this, just the idea that NU putting a true freshman out at quarterback scares me to death.

:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh i didn't realize how scared some of us are of our QB situation. It will work out, it always does....

Don't worry, I just faxed my resume into Bo. I have a lifelong experience as an Armchair QB, I am a shoe in to fill in for Lee.

:laughpound

You and everyone else on this board. The only difference is some people have more armchair experience. :)

Yes but I also have experience in mentoring younger players. My 4 year old and 2 year old are virtual experts now. I can make sure Green is ready for the next season!

A very legitimate question. One that I really hadnt even thought of. I would suspect Lee will get the benefit of the doubt untill mid-season and that is if the offense is totally inept. Being he is the one with the most knowledge of the offense, i dont see anyone of the other guys being anymore ready than he is untill that point in the season. I really dont forsee this happening though, the other parts of our offense should be enough to carry Lee should he have a difficult time adjusting, which i dont think he will. Fingers crossed.