Big 12 football coaches from worst to first

1. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma—the celebrity

More photographers could be seen shuffling up and down the aisles, and none of the writers dared to get up for a refill. All the side chatter stopped. Stoops was in the house.

There’s a commanding presence about Stoops in the way he talks and in his body language that makes reporters more afraid of him than other coaches.

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. :blink:

11. Dan Hawkins, Colorado—the overly excited jock

The Colorado coach loves excellence.

“If you’re not a high-standard guy, you’re a low-standard guy,” Hawkins said.

When he said those words, it reminded me of Ricky Bobby’s famous motto: “If you’re not first, you’re last.” And then I thought of his father’s take on it: “That doesn’t make any sense at all. You can be second, third, fourth. Hell, you can even be fifth.”

Hawkins might want to heed Mr. Bobby’s advice because the Buffaloes aren’t finishing in first place this season. Still, Hawkins remains a hopeless optimist — albeit an overly excited and somewhat childish one. Hawkins’ high-energy tactics were perfect when he was trying to resurrect Boise State out of nothing a few years ago, but it’s the Big 12. This ain’t intramurals, brotha.

11. Dan Hawkins, Colorado—the overly excited jock

The Colorado coach loves excellence.

“If you’re not a high-standard guy, you’re a low-standard guy,” Hawkins said.

When he said those words, it reminded me of Ricky Bobby’s famous motto: “If you’re not first, you’re last.” And then I thought of his father’s take on it: “That doesn’t make any sense at all. You can be second, third, fourth. Hell, you can even be fifth.”

Hawkins might want to heed Mr. Bobby’s advice because the Buffaloes aren’t finishing in first place this season. Still, Hawkins remains a hopeless optimist — albeit an overly excited and somewhat childish one. Hawkins’ high-energy tactics were perfect when he was trying to resurrect Boise State out of nothing a few years ago, but it’s the Big 12. This ain’t intramurals, brotha.

That attached picture is classic! :laughpound

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 21 2009, 08:46 AM) 454124[/snapback]

To be fair, Bo hasn't played LSU and USC in his bowl either. Yet.

But yeah, the ass kissing is intolerable. I'd put Mike Leach at number 1. He's done way more with the talent he's had to work with than any other coach.

Yes. And Bo has not played Boise State either.

And yes, Mike Leach has probably done more with less than any coach in the Big 12. With the possible exception of the Mangina.

Mack brown is the WORST coach in the big 12. He is more politician than coach.

There's a serious argument to be made for Mack as the worst coach. He has SOOOO underachieved with the talent he has. In 11 seasons at UT he has one conference championship and one national championship, all in the same year (2005).

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl Coaches# AP°

Texas Longhorns (Big 12 Conference) (1998–present)

1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2nd W Cotton 16 15

1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1st L Cotton 23 21

2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2nd L Holiday 12 12

2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1st W Holiday 5 5

2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 T–1st W Cotton 7 6

2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2nd L Holiday 11 12

2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2nd W Rose † 4 5

2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1st W Rose † 1 1

2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2nd W Alamo 13 13

2007 Texas 10–3 5–3 2nd W Holiday 10 10

2008 Texas 12–1 7–1 T–1st W Fiesta † 3 4

Texas: 115–26 72–16 Big 12 South standing

Total: 115–26

Until I saw that post from NewEarthHusker I never realized how bad they are stinking it up down there in Austin. 10 wins season in only 8 out 11 seasons. In the non 10 win seasons a miserable 9 wins is all they could muster up. For the life of me I cannot understand how Mack Brown keeps his employ averaging 2 losses a season and a laughable 77% winning percentage.