Castille..

Does anyone else find it strange that we lose Castille and suddenly there's a whole host of people upset that we've lost a key part of our offense this year, when Castille's career stats are unimpressive at best, yet when asked why they're upset at losing him you most often hear that he was going to be good this year, his fumbles were going away, and he'd had a good camp. So because of this, people are upset about losing him.

But, coaches are raving about Zac Lee, he's the clear #1 QB, Pelini himself has noted how good Lee is doing to the national media, and yet there are about as many people here upset about our QB situation as are upset about losing Q.

Why are people upset about losing Castille, yet not happy about Lee?

Because it takes more energy to be happy than it does to be a pessimist.

I am not a hater, but I see the issue. You guys are going o need your running game this year, with a new starting QB. He played great against Clemson when he was needed, and he is a nice counterpunch in style to Helu. I think he would have been a good contributor, and the two backs provided insurance for each other. If Q had not been on the team last year, for instance, you probably lose to Clemson. Now you need him more, and he is not there. That is hard to minimize. Maybe Burkhead or someone else will really step up. if so, should be no big deal. Maybe Helu will be healthy all year despite the larger load. and again, if that happens it is not so bad. But I think given the unsettled spot at #2 RBa and the role Q was to play, it does hurt.

I think losing Q hurts more for the other things he did besides run the ball. He was/is a great blocker, both in Pass Pro and as a lead blocker. Just look at Cy's comments in another thread about what ISU players were saying in reaction to the news. They certainly are glad he is gone, he was very intimidating and punishing. Two things you love to have. I think the world of Rex, but he is not a punisher like Q was. Rex seems like he takes pride in having a complete game so I would think he will be alright in Pass Pro, which is big, but the lead blocking and intimidation factors will be tough to replace.

--EDIT--

My opinions of Rex are based soley on the litany of stories we have read or heard about how unselfish a player he is. He may suck at Pass Pro, but my guess is that he will be good at it because it is what the team needs to win.

I think losing Q hurts more for the other things he did besides run the ball. He was/is a great blocker, both in Pass Pro and as a lead blocker. Just look at Cy's comments in another thread about what ISU players were saying in reaction to the news. They certainly are glad he is gone, he was very intimidating and punishing. Two things you love to have. I think the world of Rex, but he is not a punisher like Q was. Rex seems like he takes pride in having a complete game so I would think he will be alright in Pass Pro, which is big, but the lead blocking and intimidation factors will be tough to replace.

What we don't know is how much of the benefit of Q's blocking was offset by trouble in the locker room. The guy may be great on the field, but if he's a problem off the field, what's that doing to team unity/chemistry? And how much damage to one are you willing to allow before protecting the other? That's what Bo had to decide, and it seems pretty clear that the overall package of Castille both on and off the field wasn't worth it.

Let's assume that whatever Q was doing was illegal. Even though he never got caught, apparently he kept doing it over and over. Eventually, he would have gotten caught. Everyone is sick and tired of hearing about LP and Thunder Collins. Maybe, just maybe Bo and TO wanted to keep NU from receiving all the negative fallout that would occur once Q was caught doing whatever he was doing. Same goes with Glenn. We lived without LP because Ahman stepped up. Who says somebody won't step up this year? I think we'll be ok.

What we don't know is how much of the benefit of Q's blocking was offset by trouble in the locker room. The guy may be great on the field, but if he's a problem off the field, what's that doing to team unity/chemistry? And how much damage to one are you willing to allow before protecting the other? That's what Bo had to decide, and it seems pretty clear that the overall package of Castille both on and off the field wasn't worth it.

I don't disagree with you, I was simply looking at it from a Field perspective. I have read and heard a lot about how Castille's loss was only big because of the "promise" he showed as a back. I think he made big contributions, just not toting the rock yet. No matter who you put back there, I am not sure NU has a player that can impact the game like Q did with his physical style of play and that is a loss.