Tom Shatel on Castille

I am not making it about you and me....I am simply trying to prove a point that you would not want your dirty laundry aired for all to here....whether you think people care or not. It is pretty simple to understand that there are privacy issues and if the football dept. or athletic dept. wanted all to know I am sure they will hold a press conference telling us what happened...oh wait, that already happened when Bo said the program has rules and guidelines to follow.

Since this is not the first time there was an issue with Q, maybe TO told Bo that if something happens again, kick him off of the team. It is all speculation.

I do feel a little sorry for Q, but if he cannot follow the rules set by Bo and the program then he needs to suffer the consequences.

I agree that there should be consequences for rule infractions, hands down. I am saying as a 2nd year HEAD COACH that TO should have been consulted as TO beat the path Bo just went down. I think Bo should have been a bit more forthcoming with something more than "he broke a rule and now he is gone, end of story". I know thats not the quote, but an incident like this could hurt recruiting, team morale, etc. The players know the rules, the coaches know, etc. but for any prospective outsider who is thinkg about walking on or better yet, signing a letter of intent may think twice about playing for a coach that expects everyone to be on eggshells when he is around.

Okay, let me help you out.

1. Bo talked to TO about this, coaches dont kick kids off a team without talking with the AD. Bo doesnt have to ask permission to do it but he talked it out.

2. Maybe some recruits wont want to sign with NU maybe some will, most kids, just like adults, assume they are the ones that wont be screwing up so they assume they will be fine. Its like when you take a job that someone couldnt handle, you think to youself "well I can do that".

Name ONE person in the backfield that can hit the way Q did? He made teams fear him because they knew he was going to lower his pads and punish you, every down he played. Q brought that dominance factor, the factor that won TO 3 national titles. Bo should be more forthcoming in his decisions regarding team dismissals. Why does it need to be a secret? If you want people to see it as "you better not do this or else" then you need to tell people what it was he did that warrants dismissal.

Remember when Callahan disolved the unity council, well Bo just about did the same with this move. Helu is likely to get hurt this season, it doesnt even sound like he is 100% despite the reports contrary... and even then, can we really believe what Bo says now?

Personally, I think this stinks... just like Chicken Sh*t.

Suh

Anyone here actually know what the "team rules" are?

Or are they so outrageous that they must remain "Double Top Secret"?

Sorry if I ruffle anyones feathers..I know..The details aren't really our buisness...but...It'd be nice to know ahead of time (at least for our future recruits) so if it's something like not using your turn signals in traffic and you broke the stem of your turnsignal thingie on your car, you can get it fixed...or go to another school.

my guess is future recruits are aptly briefed on the expectations of playing for NU.

I agree that there should be consequences for rule infractions, hands down. I am saying as a 2nd year HEAD COACH that TO should have been consulted as TO beat the path Bo just went down. I think Bo should have been a bit more forthcoming with something more than "he broke a rule and now he is gone, end of story". I know thats not the quote, but an incident like this could hurt recruiting, team morale, etc. The players know the rules, the coaches know, etc. but for any prospective outsider who is thinkg about walking on or better yet, signing a letter of intent may think twice about playing for a coach that expects everyone to be on eggshells when he is around.

1. Prove that TO wasn't consulted. (Crosses arms, taps foot and waits.)

2. Why should Bo, or Castille for that matter, have been "more forthcoming?" What business is it of yours?

3. Prove that Bo made a rash decision and kicked QC off the team for his first minor offense.

4. So Nebraska is the only team which dismisses players for inappropriate conduct?

Thus far you've made quite a few accusations with absolutely no substance to back them up.

Remember when Callahan disolved the unity council, well Bo just about did the same with this move. Helu is likely to get hurt this season, it doesnt even sound like he is 100% despite the reports contrary... and even then, can we really believe what Bo says now?

This is the second time I've seen a reference to Bo disregarding the Unity Council. Is that insider information? Not being rude here, but I'm as curious as anyone else.

Holy sh#t I played high school footbal 84-87 and rules where rules no

questions asked. We had a player that was suspended for 7 games

because of drugs. That was freaking high school. It should be a privledge

to put that fing N on the side of your head and go by what the team rules

are PERIOD. I need a drink

I agree that there should be consequences for rule infractions, hands down. I am saying as a 2nd year HEAD COACH that TO should have been consulted as TO beat the path Bo just went down.

I think Bo should have been a bit more forthcoming with something more than "he broke a rule and now he is gone, end of story".

I know thats not the quote, but an incident like this could hurt recruiting, team morale, etc. The players know the rules, the coaches know, etc. but for any prospective outsider who is thinkg about walking on or better yet, signing a letter of intent may think twice about playing for a coach that expects everyone to be on eggshells when he is around.

Okay, let me help you out.

1. Bo talked to TO about this, coaches dont kick kids off a team without talking with the AD. Bo doesnt have to ask permission to do it but he talked it out.

2. Maybe some recruits wont want to sign with NU maybe some will, most kids, just like adults, assume they are the ones that wont be screwing up so they assume they will be fine. Its like when you take a job that someone couldnt handle, you think to youself "well I can do that".

Thank you, Teacher! I was just thinking along those lines, too.

Since we don't deserve any more explanation than we were given..and some of us have too much time on our hands...we might as well speculate what really happened.

According to my Pool Man:

#1) Bo called up Dr. Tom and told him he was seriously thinking of cutting Q loose for smoking cigarettes...only the illegal ones.

Bo admits to growing up where people drink way too much, and he even indulged from time to time in Baton Rouge after significant wins...but only really nasty people smoke that awful refer.

Bo: "I know you told me to stop bothering you with these small details..That it's MY team..I just didn't want you to find out about it on Huskerboard or one of the local papers".

Tom: "I appreciate that..It IS YOUR team and since you DID involve the Unity Council and given Q his chances to quit smoking..even sent those pamphlets to his Uncle who uses it to combat the chemotherapy effects..The team will probably be OK with this..Just realize it might cost you a win or two this season..Or not."

"And now there's one less reason to like Nebraska this season."

Well Tom, you can't have it both ways. Do you want to be Thug-U and go undefeated? Or do you want some integrity and have respect and not have a national championship? This is Nebraska, not Miami and Florida State. I want a National Championship as much or more than the next Husker fan, but I don't want my alma mater to be constantly associated with trouble-makers and criminals that make it the only way Nebraska makes Sportscenter highlights. What kind of example does it set if a spotlight player gets away with doing whatever the hell they want? Then EVERYONE is doing whatever the hell they want, and then you have a bad situation. I like Nebraska MORE than I did before this 'Q' thing, Tom. This is a college team, not an NFL training ground, as much as some idiot head coach a few years' back tried to turn it into. Nebraska is already behind the 8-ball when it comes to recruiting, so why should we stoop to take on a group of players who cannot represent the school properly? I honestly don't know if Bo really cares about these guys getting an education, I think he does, but most of these guys are NOT going to the NFL. So hey...how about getting a college degree while you're playing your ass off at a great school for a high-integrity coach? Sadly, this just doesn't seem to matter that much any more.

:clap Amen brother...this should have happened years ago...and by years ago I mean maybe back as far as the Osborne years. And there are kids out there that actually want an education, and want to play football even if they have to follow some rules.

Say this for Bo Pelini: He's apparently not in a hurry.

That is, he's not in such a hurry to win at Nebraska that he's going to compromise his rules or take short cuts with discipline.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090822/SPORTS/708229866

Very nice

The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20090822,SPORTS,708229866,AR). The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20090822,SPORTS,708229866,AR). The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20090822,SPORTS,708229866,AR).

I wish I could say that isn't the 5th time it's happened for omaha.com articles linked to on this board lately.

Cutting and pasting the article would eliminate the issue.

And can also get HuskerBoard in some hot water if the Weird Herald complains. Copypasta isn't a good idea. Take a paragraph or two to get the flavor of the article, then link to the rest. It keeps the source happy and helps disseminate the info.

Another board I belong to had issues with this, and it got close to becoming legal. Don't let that happen here.

I wish I could say that isn't the 5th time it's happened for omaha.com articles linked to on this board lately.

Cutting and pasting the article would eliminate the issue.

And can also get HuskerBoard in some hot water if the Weird Herald complains. Copypasta isn't a good idea. Take a paragraph or two to get the flavor of the article, then link to the rest. It keeps the source happy and helps disseminate the info.

Another board I belong to had issues with this, and it got close to becoming legal. Don't let that happen here.

Internet = free for all