Short yardage back

Not to downplay the loss of Castille, but I never really thought he really excelled as a short yardage back. Just because you are big it does not make you a short yardage back. I always remember him just running into the back of his o-line and falling down.

I honestly always felt that Helu is the better choice for short yardage, but that's just my opinion. He's really good at recognizing where his blocks are and avoiding getting tackled at first contact.

That is what makes a great short yardage back.

The part in blue...No, you're remembering Dan Alexander. :lol:

who would you rather have: a slasher who finds ANY hole or can even move laterally into someone and knock them back to make one

or

a bruiser who runs only where the hole is whether it's open or not or 'skates' laterally to find some outside crease where he's not most effective

if you answered with the first--you want Helu...\

Look, Helu can do everything Castille had the 'potential' to do.

2009 Outlook

Sophomore Austin Jones is coming off an impressive spring practice and is expected to provide depth in a talented Nebraska I-back corps in 2008. Jones will battle redshirt freshmen Collins Okafor and Lester Ward for playing time behind juniors Quentin Castille and Roy Helu Jr. The 5-10, 210-pound Jones originally earned a spot on the Nebraska roster through a walk-on tryout in 2007.

Wonder if Austin Jones could see some short yardage duty. Anyone hear anything about him other than that on Huskers.com, above?

2009 Outlook

Sophomore Austin Jones is coming off an impressive spring practice and is expected to provide depth in a talented Nebraska I-back corps in 2008. Jones will battle redshirt freshmen Collins Okafor and Lester Ward for playing time behind juniors Quentin Castille and Roy Helu Jr. The 5-10, 210-pound Jones originally earned a spot on the Nebraska roster through a walk-on tryout in 2007.

Wonder if Austin Jones could see some short yardage duty. Anyone hear anything about him other than that on Huskers.com, above?

There have been several highlight stories on him lately. I know the LJS and I think OMW both had them in the last few days.

I happened to be watching NFL films tonight and they showed when the Fridge was a short yardage back for da Bears. He did pretty well as a rookie. 2 TDs in 5 carries, for 7 yards, and at least one of those non-TDs was from well outside the goal line. Plus he caught a TD pass.

So I wondered why they didn't keep using him that way. For the rest of his career, Perry carried 3 times, lost 2 yards, never gained positive yards, and fumbled twice.

I still remember being p.o.'d that Perry got a TD in the Super Bowl while Payton watched. Payton deserved that one. Payton was also one of the more effective short yardage carriers because he hit the hole quickly, and could leap over the line, or dart to an opening.

More important than the back is getting the push from the line.