Short yardage back

Helu...

Helu was a better short yardage back anyway IMO. I have always thought that, sure Castille was bigger, but he seemed to be better on toss' and sweeps where he could get a head of steam.

Helu reminds me of Tiki Barber being a smaller guy who can really hammer out the short yardage stuff by just being patient and then finding the right hole and exploding through it for a few yards.

the question is, can Helu get the tough yards and carry the rock 14-20 carries per game for the season?

i think the answer is obvious, if you are going to make him your short yardage guy, then he can't be expected to be the every down back we need him to be. Castille had a knack for being THE GUY in short yardage plays and there is a price to pay for pounding the ball between the tackles, if done too many times each game, it takes it's toll. i would prefer to see Helu not be the short yardage guy on a regular basis.

Helu...

Helu was a better short yardage back anyway IMO. I have always thought that, sure Castille was bigger, but he seemed to be better on toss' and sweeps where he could get a head of steam.

Helu reminds me of Tiki Barber being a smaller guy who can really hammer out the short yardage stuff by just being patient and then finding the right hole and exploding through it for a few yards.

the question is, can Helu get the tough yards and carry the rock 14-20 carries per game for the season?

i think the answer is obvious, if you are going to make him your short yardage guy, then he can't be expected to be the every down back we need him to be. Castille had a knack for being THE GUY in short yardage plays and there is a price to pay for pounding the ball between the tackles, if done too many times each game, it takes it's toll. i would prefer to see Helu not be the short yardage guy on a regular basis.

which is where burkhead fits in.

Okafor or Ward.

I have to agree Jack here. I mean, if we really need a short yardage back, I think either of them is more or less our guy. Burkhead is a cut and slash runner similar to Helu. Ward is listed as 6'3 215 pounds while Okafor is listed as 6'1 225. If you're looking for height and power you might want to go with Ward because Okafor has always been a fast back and Ward has generally been that power guy.

With the departure of Castille, however, I think it's very possible that Zimmerer or another fullback could get the rock. But, he's young and he is still in the same weight range as Ward and Okafor.

Okafor or Ward.

I have to agree Jack here. I mean, if we really need a short yardage back, I think either of them is more or less our guy. Burkhead is a cut and slash runner similar to Helu. Ward is listed as 6'3 215 pounds while Okafor is listed as 6'1 225. If you're looking for height and power you might want to go with Ward because Okafor has always been a fast back and Ward has generally been that power guy.

With the departure of Castille, however, I think it's very possible that Zimmerer or another fullback could get the rock. But, he's young and he is still in the same weight range as Ward and Okafor.

Hate to disagree here, but Ward is actually a long strider that shys from contact a little. Okafor is a between the tackles guy that can run outside as well. This is from the Life in the Red Blog on the Journal-Star's website:

-

Rex Burkhead, 5-11, 200, true freshman. A Plano, Texas, native, he's having an excellent preseason camp by all accounts. Last season was named Dallas Morning News' All-Area Offensive Player of the Year. Recent winners have included Graham Harrell, Chase Daniel and Matthew Stafford.

-- Austin Jones, 5-10, 210, sophomore. A walk-on. Was a reserve last season, but didn't see game action. Averaged 5.9 yards and was team MVP as a senior at Smoky Hill High in Centennial, Colo. Half-brother of Menelik Holt.

-- Lester Ward, 6-3, 215, redshirt freshman. A native of Brenham, Texas, Ward was slowed by injury as a prep senior but still helped lead his team to a district title with 1,200 rushing yards. A long and lean RB who covers a lot of ground with each step.

-- Collins Okafor, 6-1, 225, redshirt freshman. An Omaha Westside grad, Okafor raised eyebrows with an 11-carry, 79-yard performance in the Red-White Spring Game. Excellent student.

-- Dontrayevous Robinson, 6-1, 215, true freshman. Robinson split time between tailback and fullback last season for a 13-1 Euless (Texas) Trinity team that was ranked No. 1 in the nation for part of the year. Appears to have excellent instincts -- a natural RB.

With Castille gone Who become's our short yardage back? And now do we see Suh in more fb type situations?

What exactly made/makes Q a better short yardage back then Helu? And I'm not sure that I am buying the "we NEED a short yardage back"... <_<

I agree. Q always seem to trip over the yard line just before the one he needed to get to. Helu will be just fine, i think with Helu's vision and slashing style he has a better chance at breaking that 3rd or 4th and inches into a huge gain. Q would just run into the line hole or no hole.

Ward, K Reed or SUH at goal line, we are situationaly deep. No one really knows the inexperienced guys accept those practicing with them this spring and fall. I like Ward on his speed and size for a whoe lot of situations, especially 3rd and short. Tall guys are good at seam running, if his hands are good he may have even more upside, he can hurdle and stride, thats difficult to imagine but it is a whole nother talent..

K Reed is 230 and powerful. Could easily play in the backfield when situation fits.

SUH at the goal line? hell yes.

if the oline is right with their assignments, we have the talent at RB to do the job, wont matter much who it is. The offensive coaching squad has the playbook and the players to fit them into any situation. Lee spreading the field is the threat no one will be able to counter without sacrifice, the run game will be there if the passing game is anywhere near where we should be with this group of recvrs..