Releasing Players from the Team

These players were given fair warning what would happen if they violate the rules. It's not a surprise, and they still do it. Gotta admire Bo for sticking to his principles and doing what he says he is going to do.

Players may have been thinking that Cody's banishment was not that big of a deal because he only has 3 games left, and Pelini was just trying to make a statement and might soften up on the next one, but now they know that this is how it's truly going to be, so they should keep in line.

:yeah

:yeah:yeah

You will also have people that feel that a no nonsense coach doesn't get recruits and that couldn't be further than the truth. What happens is you bring in non discipline problem guys to your program. The players that Bo decides to give scholarship when they sign they realize that that type of stuff is not going to be accepted at NU. As old as Joe Pa is; he is still cracking the whip at Penn. Coaches like basketball's Bobby Knight (though his methods were strange at best) you never heard about his players getting into trouble.

Pelini dropping two major contributors from the team in two years (Glenn and Castille) we think that it is great because we have a NO NONSENSE coach that won't back down on the rules that he set forth when he took over the program....

Three major contributors if you include Witt. (Remember, we only heard one side of that story). If Bo is going to keep running players off he had better pick up the pace in recruiting.

Witt left on his own. He wasn't dismissed. You're in a different ball park on that one.

Pelini dropping two major contributors from the team in two years (Glenn and Castille) we think that it is great because we have a NO NONSENSE coach that won't back down on the rules that he set forth when he took over the program....

Three major contributors if you include Witt. (Remember, we only heard one side of that story). If Bo is going to keep running players off he had better pick up the pace in recruiting.

Witt left on his own. He wasn't dismissed. You're in a different ball park on that one.

Right. He left the team. So did Eric Crouch a few years before. But that was handled in a different manner and had a different outcome.

I just saying, fine, attrite away all the good players you want. But NU better pick up the pace on bringing in good quality recruits to backfill the voids.

Look at it this way and think about the future. If Bo shows the world that being a big/small contributor to the team doesn't put you above the team, then our team isn't going to have guys who get in trouble. This will also help in recruiting the right guys to our football team and turn away those that can't be disciplined.

I'd rather recruit a 3 star humbled and disciplined quarterback than recruit a 5 star smart mouth piece of trash. Our teams in the 90's were so good because we didn't always recruit the best guys in the nation, just the guys that we could get the most out of.

Look at it this way and think about the future. If Bo shows the world that being a big/small contributor to the team doesn't put you above the team, then our team isn't going to have guys who get in trouble. This will also help in recruiting the right guys to our football team and turn away those that can't be disciplined.

I'd rather recruit a 3 star humbled and disciplined quarterback than recruit a 5 star smart mouth piece of trash. Our teams in the 90's were so good because we didn't always recruit the best guys in the nation, just the guys that we could get the most out of.

Good point about the big/small contributors both having to tow the line or be shown the door. Most of the players who “left” the team these past few months were not major contributors, and did not get much ink. Bo's policies seem consistent from the top of the roster to the bottom.

As for our 90’s teams, I doubt if the Peter brothers, Terrell Farley or Tyrone Williams would last very long under Bo. Probably a few of the others would be shown the door as well. But I’m sure we could make do without them right?

I'll add my .02...

Releasing players from the team is a vital and necessary option for a head coach.

These players are kids and if a coach allows these kids free reign a program can degenerate into "The Lord of the Flies" rather quickly. No player, whether he's a scrub, walk-on, a 5 :star stud or anything in between is above the rules. And, the fastest way for a coach to lose control over the team is the give preferential treatment to star players.

Bo said it himself. He's building a culture and he's building a program. It sucks to lose Castille, but the truth of the matter is that how many of you think we're going to be seeing NU in the news over the next decade for major law enforcement problems? We know how Bo handles rules and punishment, and we also know what kind of recruit he's after. I think we're seeing discipline filter through every facet of the program from the rules to the way the players play the game. It'll be Bo who gets the last laugh, even if in the short term it sucks to lose a talent like Castille.

some people might not like this, but bo making these decisions with the future in mind. while it might hurt us in the short term, setting these examples and cleansing our team of impurities will pay off in the long run. lets face it, we werent winning anything last year, and we arent this year either. if you are going to going to be making examples, now is the time to do it.

I'm pretty sure Callahan booted one of the best players on his team at one point for attempted coteamular strangulation. It happens, some players just don't belong on the team in the end.

If I’m not mistaken he kicked 3-4 guys off the team that were multi-year contributors. (Richie, Horne, Mulkey)

As far as Bo goes, where does he draw a line in the sand that can’t be crossed as far as the “no nonsense” stuff goes? We have seen multiple arrests related to alcohol where a simple “in house” slap on the wrist was passed out, yet Dixon, Glenn and now Castille get the boot no questioned asked. He has the right to run his team however he sees fit but I just wonder what the line is that has to be crossed before you are shown the door. Weed = banishment? DUI and MIP = slap on the wrist? :dunno

Disclaimer: I think someone smoking a joint is no different then someone drinking a 6’er but the law says otherwise so my view might be skewed a little bit. <_<

I think its kind of pathetic that there's so many on here criticizing Bo for enforcing some team discipline. Castille didn't just show up a few minutes late for a meeting and get shown the door. You have to be a complete knucklehead if you don't think he was given multiple chances to correct whatever led to his dismissal. Just because he's practically a starter doesn't mean the rules don't apply to him.

We as fans don't deserve to know all the details. If Bo or Quentin wants to share it with us, great.

Few things in life are black or white, there's a lot of gray. We don't know exactly what happened, though we've heard the rumors. I will trust Bo is making the right decisions.

Having said that... I know they're kids, but come on, stay clean for 4 or 5 years! You will never regret it!

It's difficult to make a judgment about whether Bo is being too strict when we don't even know what Castille did. How can we know whether the punishment was proportional to the violation?

That said, whatever Castille was doing, it at least sounds like he had some warning and a chance to correct it, in which case, if he didn't, I think dismissal would be appropriate.

It's difficult to make a judgment about whether Bo is being too strict when we don't even know what Castille did. How can we know whether the punishment was proportional to the violation?

That said, whatever Castille was doing, it at least sounds like he had some warning and a chance to correct it, in which case, if he didn't, I think dismissal would be appropriate.

If he did, what has been posted on this, and other boards, then it sounds like he was given a lot of chances. He might of been given private treatment, and there was the unannounced trip home. I am sure he was warned. The one thing I think we are missing is most of these kids are warned and never punished. We only have to look at Pius X, when there entire basketball(?) team was caught on the roof of the school, nothing happened. These kids with huge talent are coddled all through high school, and in college. I think Bo finally dropped the hammer, I think it shows a ton of backbone on Bo's part, and it send a strong message to the rest. I am sure they will put up with some messing around. These are kids, on there own for the first time, they will make mistakes, but once they reach a certain point that is the end.