Releasing Players from the Team

I personally have no problem with what Bo did with Q. We are not in the locker room and regardless to how much people think they know about the goings on in NU Football they don't. I read peoples post with there "sources" and it makes me laugh.

The only thing I want to see from Bo is consistency with his discipline. No one knows definitively how many chances Q had. But I do know a player was allowed back after "resisting arrest and criminal mischief" and a player that received a punishment of miss the last week of spring practices and the spring game for a DUI on a suspended license.

Agreed. I, also, have no problem with cutting someone who doesn't follow established rules. But from the outside looking in, it seems like there's a possibility that a guy like Teafatiller got a different set of chances than Glenn or Castille. AC's situation comes to mind as well.

The benefit of the doubt goes to Bo in a HUGE way for me. I am nowhere near that locker and I have zero idea what Glenn or Castille did. Everything I've heard from Bo so far makes me think he's straightforward and fair with these guys. I'm not doubting that.

dude, I made that same comparison yesterday and I got crucified... <_<

I personally have no problem with what Bo did with Q. We are not in the locker room and regardless to how much people think they know about the goings on in NU Football they don't. I read peoples post with there "sources" and it makes me laugh.

The only thing I want to see from Bo is consistency with his discipline. No one knows definitively how many chances Q had. But I do know a player was allowed back after "resisting arrest and criminal mischief" and a player that received a punishment of miss the last week of spring practices and the spring game for a DUI on a suspended license.

I just hope Q finds himself before he pulls a Thunder Collins.

Agreed. I, also, have no problem with cutting someone who doesn't follow established rules. But from the outside looking in, it seems like there's a possibility that a guy like Teafatiller got a different set of chances than Glenn or Castille. AC's situation comes to mind as well.

The benefit of the doubt goes to Bo in a HUGE way for me. I am nowhere near that locker and I have zero idea what Glenn or Castille did. Everything I've heard from Bo so far makes me think he's straightforward and fair with these guys. I'm not doubting that.

dude, I made that same comparison yesterday and I got crucified... <_<

There was one subtle difference between your post and mine. It's hard to spot, but see if you can figure it out. ;)

Pelini dropping two major contributors from the team in two years (Glenn and Castille) we think that it is great because we have a NO NONSENSE coach that won't back down on the rules that he set forth when he took over the program....

Three major contributors if you include Witt. (Remember, we only heard one side of that story). If Bo is going to keep running players off he had better pick up the pace in recruiting.

I think Witt ended up at Yale and if I were him I might have done the same thing. A degree from an Ivy League school is worth big bucks.

T_O_B

I'll add my .02...

Releasing players from the team is a vital and necessary option for a head coach.

These players are kids and if a coach allows these kids free reign a program can degenerate into "The Lord of the Flies" rather quickly. No player, whether he's a scrub, walk-on, a 5 :star stud or anything in between is above the rules. And, the fastest way for a coach to lose control over the team is the give preferential treatment to star players.

:yeah

Want to see what happens when a coach loses control of his program?, take a look at what happened at Oklahoma the last few years under Switzer.

T_O_B

:restore

I am on the bandwagon with people who are fed up with posters who question Bo's views and rights as a head coach. The guy doesn't take bs. Not from a starter or from a walk-on senior who might be in a few special teams plays during the beginning of the season.

This is what i view some of you are thinking....

1. we loved him as a Defensive Coordinator

2. we liked that he got the nod for Head Coach

3. we questioned his judgment on Glenns suspension/ of the subject

4. we loved that he posted a 9-4 record after a horrid season before

5. we are now questioning his views on ethics this, morality that

BOTTOM LINE!!!!! is, the guy turned our beloved team from a 5-7 shame to a 9-4 team with big aspirations for this year, with or without Q.

So lets just calm down with all the "Bo better recruit betterfasternow" talk. The man was offered a job by T.O., he came into work and he did is job. Plain and simple. If Bo dismissed a player then in my opinion they deserved it.

Cliff Notes:

-BO-KNOWS just like he did last year

-The sky isn't falling

-Let's play some freaking ball

-GO BIG RED

This doesn't mean that you should blindly support him. When something as drastic as a player getting dismissed occurs, I think it's healthy to be able to step back and question and ascertain the situation, rather then defaulting to 'bo is right in everythign he does'

Is Bo too strict? Just the fact that only a few players have been run off shows the answer is no. If 98% of the guys on the team can manage to stay on, then standards aren't too hard to live up to. Knowing what Castille or Glenn did is irrelevant. They did something that they knew they weren't supposed to, and it was something the rest of the guys could avoid. If it was just picking their nose at the training table, they wouldn't be the only one's gone.

I'll add my .02...

Releasing players from the team is a vital and necessary option for a head coach.

These players are kids and if a coach allows these kids free reign a program can degenerate into "The Lord of the Flies" rather quickly. No player, whether he's a scrub, walk-on, a 5 :star stud or anything in between is above the rules. And, the fastest way for a coach to lose control over the team is the give preferential treatment to star players.

A ) I agree with this in concept for sure.

B ) The problem with this whole thread is we do not know what really happened in either case. lots of rumors. I played college athletics, albeit Basketball, but I can tell you that any group of guys have their buddies and people they do not like, so even rumors from guys "on the team" can be prety darn useless if you do not know who is in with who. Due to the size of a football team, I would imagine it is worse about having different groups of friends within the team. I will just say this thread is ultimately pointless, because the quality of information we are going to get will not let us understand things in an unbiased way to really speak intelligently about the issue with out being unfair to someone, or everyone, involved.

I'll add my .02...

B ) The problem with this whole thread is we do not know what really happened in either case. lots of rumors. I played college athletics, albeit Basketball, but I can tell you that any group of guys have their buddies and people they do not like, so even rumors from guys "on the team" can be prety darn useless if you do not know who is in with who. Due to the size of a football team, I would imagine it is worse about having different groups of friends within the team. I will just say this thread is ultimately pointless, because the quality of information we are going to get will not let us understnad things in an unbiased way to really speak intelligently about the issue with out being unfair to someone, or everyone, involved.

:yeah

Pithy yet deliberate. Me likey.

Head Couch Pelini made a couple hard decisions. Decisions he probably knew would bring some heat down on him. He inherited a program that was put into a rapidly downward spirilling plunge by the former AD and HC. He came in and it seems that he has righted the ship and has it moving in the right direction. If that requires a strict disaplenarian then so be it. It is an honor to be a Husker Football Player. If the rules are a bit harder to follow, then so be it.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez

I am on the bandwagon with people who are fed up with posters who question Bo's views and rights as a head coach. The guy doesn't take bs. Not from a starter or from a walk-on senior who might be in a few special teams plays during the beginning of the season.

This is what i view some of you are thinking....

1. we loved him as a Defensive Coordinator

2. we liked that he got the nod for Head Coach

3. we questioned his judgment on Glenns suspension/ of the subject

4. we loved that he posted a 9-4 record after a horrid season before

5. we are now questioning his views on ethics this, morality that

BOTTOM LINE!!!!! is, the guy turned our beloved team from a 5-7 shame to a 9-4 team with big aspirations for this year, with or without Q.

So lets just calm down with all the "Bo better recruit betterfasternow" talk. The man was offered a job by T.O., he came into work and he did is job. Plain and simple. If Bo dismissed a player then in my opinion they deserved it.

Cliff Notes:

-BO-KNOWS just like he did last year

-The sky isn't falling

-Let's play some freaking ball

-GO BIG RED

This doesn't mean that you should blindly support him. When something as drastic as a player getting dismissed occurs, I think it's healthy to be able to step back and question and ascertain the situation, rather then defaulting to 'bo is right in everythign he does'

I can blindly support whomever I want, that is why we have message boards like previously stated. :clap

But seriously, we are all fans here. And I think for the most part we all respect Bo's judgment on these types of issues. I may have freaked out a little bit due to my lack of daily koolaid this morning.

I'll add my .02...

B ) The problem with this whole thread is we do not know what really happened in either case. lots of rumors. I played college athletics, albeit Basketball, but I can tell you that any group of guys have their buddies and people they do not like, so even rumors from guys "on the team" can be prety darn useless if you do not know who is in with who. Due to the size of a football team, I would imagine it is worse about having different groups of friends within the team. I will just say this thread is ultimately pointless, because the quality of information we are going to get will not let us understand things in an unbiased way to really speak intelligently about the issue with out being unfair to someone, or everyone, involved.

Going to have to agree with this as well. As it stands we are speculating and that is bad. Unless it's proven or information given, we really shouldn't just blindly comment about that which we don't know.

Didnt we get into some trouble in the 90s for people suposedly being to lax in decipline. I think this whole thing is silly. Bo is the coach and if he says dont eat friggin meat on friday because the goat gods dont approve then dont FRIGGIN EAT MEAT. If you are someone of importance you would think you would work harder on being a role model for your teammates and set an example for others. I dont know what he or anyone else did. But i know that bo is not going to throw someone off the team for not lacing up his shoelaces the right way. Whatever they did it was extreme enough to mean there banishment. Im sorry i wish all who have left this team well but if your not going to follow the rules then c ya. To me, to have the ability to play at a school like nebraska would be one of the greatest things ever. Not everyone gets to play college ball. Im sure there are hundreds of people who would love to fly right to take there place.

Didnt we get into some trouble in the 90s for people suposedly being to lax in decipline. I think this whole thing is silly. Bo is the coach and if he says dont eat friggin meat on friday because the goat gods dont approve then dont FRIGGIN EAT MEAT. If you are someone of importance you would think you would work harder on being a role model for your teammates and set an example for others. I dont know what he or anyone else did. But i know that bo is not going to throw someone off the team for not lacing up his shoelaces the right way. Whatever they did it was extreme enough to mean there banishment. Im sorry i wish all who have left this team well but if your not going to follow the rules then c ya. To me, to have the ability to play at a school like nebraska would be one of the greatest things ever. Not everyone gets to play college ball. Im sure there are hundreds of people who would love to fly right to take there place.

Speaking of useless rules...How about bringing back some Spelling RULES! (LOL)

Didn't we get into some trouble in the 90s for people suposedly being too lax in discipline?

I think this whole thing is silly. Bo is the coach and if he says "Don't eat friggin meat on Friday because the goat gods don't approve", Then don't FRIGGIN EAT MEAT. If you are someone of importance you would think you would work harder on being a role model for your teammates and set an example for others. I don't know what he or anyone else did. But I know that Bo is not going to throw someone off the team for not lacing up his shoelaces the right way. Whatever they did, it was extreme enough to mean their banishment. Im sorry I wish all who have left this team well but if you're not going to follow the rules then c ya.

To me, to have the ability to play at a school like Nebraska would be one of the greatest things ever. Not everyone gets to play college ball. I'm sure there are hundreds of people who would love to fly right to take their place.

Doesnt Matter what you think is fair or not you do not run the program!!!!!!!!

Just because this is football doesnt mean there are no rules if you don't want to follow the rules you will have to pay the price. He might not have gotten any warnings or multiple warnings I dont care, he didnt follow the rules and he got booted so be it. These kids are getting a full ride to play ball and follow some simple rules Ohhhh that is really hard. My Highschool baseball coach kicked kids off the team because he saw a picture of the kids with a beer in there hands over the summer. Coach said it is his rules or the highway its up to you if you want to follow the rules are not. Have to remember its a not a right to get to play its a priviledge.

nebraskachick.jpg

Do you think Melissa cares about rules?

Rules are for followers

logo1-sheep.jpg

Sorry..Just a moment of anti establishment..and tired of all the posts from "the man" trying to keep us all down with their overabundance of RULES! :bat:rulez:boxosoapgaah.gif.gaah.gif.gaah.gif.gaah.gif.gaah.gif.gaah.gif.

(Back to your regularly scheduled order).

Witt made it clear, he wanted a starter named or he quit... sounds like the primadonna BC would recruit, Freeman and Gabbert proved that.

Did Billy C. recruit Eric Crouch? I was just wondering. :dunno

Kid changes commitment from NU to another school = Prima Donna

Kid changes commitment from another school to NU = Heck yes! Welcome aboard <_<

Was Scott Frost considered a Prima Donna when he shunned TO for Bill Walsh because he thought that would advance his career? (Total individually based selfish reason)

Or when Joe Dailey switched from being a Syracuse commit to being an NU signed player? :dunno

Anyway back to the releasing of players thing. Any time a player is let go for whatever reason there is going to be questions about the way it was handled. Like has been said over and over again nobody here knows how many chances Castille and Dixon were given to get things straight. On the other side of it though we all know how many chances Hunter :wasted was allowed to have and he was never let go. If I’m not mistaken he was on the Unity Council last as well. That is one of my hang-ups with this whole thing. Why was he allowed to stay on for multiple DUI arrests yet Glenn, Dixon and Castille are let go no questions asked. :dunno