SIGNED QB/ATH Jamal Turner

Ohio Pete

Rivals teaser I think is advertising that he's lighting it up in our elite QB camp

The Rivals update only asked Jamal how he thought he did. No report from anyone actually there.

Still have heard he struggled throwing the ball, which shouldn't be surprising. Jamal just isn't a drop-back QB at this point, which is why camps like these are good for him.

Rivals teaser I think is advertising that he's lighting it up in our elite QB camp

The Rivals update only asked Jamal how he thought he did. No report from anyone actually there.

Still have heard he struggled throwing the ball, which shouldn't be surprising. Jamal just isn't a drop-back QB at this point, which is why camps like these are good for him.

scout one says he didn't participate in many drills and has a broken thumb, i'm assuming on the non throwing hand.

Haha this is why I ask u guys, always got the info

I love this kid's attitude. Can't wait to see him competing in Scarlet & Cream.

Jamal Turner has seen the highlight plenty of times — the quarterback breaking tackle after tackle until finally there were no more Gators, just an open pasture of green grass and a cue to start the Nebraska fight song.

So you might imagine the rush Turner experienced more than a week ago when a man leaned in for a handshake and said he was Tommie Frazier.

"I didn't even know it was him until he introduced himself to me," Turner said.

Always quick on his feet, Turner pointed down at the number he was wearing. "Look," he told Frazier.

No. 15.

That just happened to be the number Turner had been given at Nebraska's Elite Quarterback Academy, headed by offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

"It was fun," Turner said. "I felt like I was a student on the campus already."

Yes, Turner can't wait to be a Husker. The quarterback commit from Arlington, Texas, is working hard so that he can enroll in classes at Nebraska in January.

And yes, he's plenty aware that Nebraska received a commitment on Saturday from another four-star quarterback — Bubba Starling of Gardner, Kan.

Never wavering in confidence, the 6-foot-1 Turner will concede one point: The 6-foot-5 Starling is indeed taller.

"But a better athlete?" said the easygoing Turner. "Come on now."

The quarterback from Texas said he knew NU would add another quarterback to the 2011 class and embraces the competition.

He's already working on putting together another highlight tape to show more of what he can do.

"I'm working on that to show people that, 'OK, now it's serious,'" Turner said.

What's certain is that Nebraska now has commitments from two of the most highly-rated quarterbacks available in the 2011 class.

Rivals.com ranks Starling third in the country among dual-threat quarterbacks and Turner sixth. Scout ranks Starling eighth among QBs and Turner ninth.

Currently at 175 pounds, Turner said he hopes to pack on 10 or 15 more before he arrives to Nebraska this winter.

Obviously his goal is to be quarterback but Turner will keep an open mind if asked to contribute somewhere else.

"I'd be the guy that would play slot receiver and then go play lockdown cornerback. Be both sides. I just want to get on the field," Turner said. "I love the game and I'm all heart. If I can't make it at quarterback then, 'Oh well.' I know I'm an athlete and I can keep it going."

As for all this Big Ten stuff?

Plenty has been made about how Nebraska's move to the Big Ten might affect Husker recruiting in Texas.

Count Turner as one Texan who is thrilled about the change.

"That's exciting," he said. "Oh my (gosh), play Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, I'm happy about that move. That's a smart move. Again, the university gets more money. Big 12, what, gives you 12 million a year? The Big Ten gives you 24 million a year? It's big for the university. I'm happy about it."

Turner doesn't think there's much to the theory that Nebraska is going to lose out on Texas recruiting due to the conference move.

"When people start noticing how Nebraska's winning national championships and getting a high ranking every year, that's going to get people's attention right there," he said.

"Look at how the program has changed in one year. They had a good year this year, an OK season, and the recruits are going crazy. I think Texas recruits will still look at Nebraska like they are now if they just play good ball."

Like Starling, Turner excels as a multi-sport athlete.

But Turner plans to give up basketball this winter at Sam Houston High so he can arrive to Lincoln early.

He likes hoops. He loves football.

"I'm anxious. I want to pack up and leave today and start working out with the team," Turner said. "I can't wait to get down there and be part of the team and learn. I'm just so ready to learn. I'm ready for them to mold me into this awesome quarterback that I know I can be."

LINK

This kid obviously bleeds Husker red. No matter how Jamal's career turns out, I'll always cheer for him a little bit extra just because of his true love for the University. Honestly, since I've followed recruiting, I can say he displays a love for NU that I have not seen from another out of state recruit. Plus he just seems to be a really great kid.