Do we need tempered enthusiasm?

craigsker

never good enough. stop it folks. you all did watch the random struggles because of sloppy ass play that went on today with big name programs, right? our 'sloppy' led to a 49-3 win. straight out of the gate, mistakes made that should have honestly turned into more points...but they didnt. hmm...

never good enough. stop it folks. you all did watch the random struggles because of sloppy ass play that went on today with big name programs, right? our 'sloppy' led to a 49-3 win. straight out of the gate, mistakes made that should have honestly turned into more points...but they didnt. hmm...

I think people are just thinking, like pelini, that as good as this was, it needs to get better if we want to win certain games. Of course, you can always say this after a first game, thats the fun part.

Yes we should not be enthusiastically translating defeating a lessor opponent to being a great program ourselves. Nebraska football is not so bereft of success that we need to go crazy over beating a minor football program who came here to get beat for he money.

On the negative side, FAU was beaten soundly by all major teams it played last year and was beaten by teams like Arkansas Sate and Troy and middle

Tennessee State.

On the positive side we beat them about like Texas did last year --they won 50 something to 10.

But to take away some sort of "aren't we great, bring on the best of the Big XII" from beating a school that nobody on the street has likely heard of is getting carried away.

Look at it like we arranged a scrimmage with the third string of a good BCS program and we dominated them in all phases of the game but learned that we have more work to do.

Like a good running back that scores a touchdown, hsnds the ball to the ref and head to the sideline instead of looking like he has never been there before or has a bad case of fleas -- the Big Red should focus on this team improving and developing the skills to defeat a ranked team on the road in a big game.

There is a lot of work yet to do. GBR

Look, I'm as excited as anyone over this win today, but should our enthusiasm over this win be tempered? Not to discount FAU, but they're not a perennial powerhouse.

I'm with coach.....I'll celebrate tonight.

The B.C. era has taught me one thing: Never take a Husker victory for granted!!

I celebrated with high enthusiasm! :)

:wasted

Big win? NO...Nice win? Yes....

It was nice to see us come out and dominate on both sides and walk away with a solid W with no major injuries. Lets enjoy it for a few days and get back to work; focus on Ark St who rolled there opponent like 61-0 yesterday....we all know about Blacksburg in 2 weeks.....no letdowns this week

GBR

I for one think it is a great win although there are some things we need to get fixed. We held them to the fewest points we've allowed in the past 3 seasons (including this season thus far). Last year's team probably would have finished this game off with a 38-21 win or something like that, so I think we made a ton of huge strides this off season.

I can't wait to see how we play against VaTech. I still think they are a better team, but if we can execute like we did last night and keep points off the board, then we are in good shape.

Don't forget, Rusty Smith is the most prolific passer in Sun Belt history and the pre-season Player of the Year, so we definitely weren't going up against somebody who didn't know their stuff.

:yeah

And they played well enough to reflect in the score.

Big win? NO...Nice win? Yes....

It was nice to see us come out and dominate on both sides and walk away with a solid W with no major injuries. Lets enjoy it for a few days and get back to work; focus on Ark St who rolled there opponent like 61-0 yesterday....we all know about Blacksburg in 2 weeks.....no letdowns this week

GBR

I did a double-take on the score! I was listening to a Huskers podcast interview with Steele several weeks ago and he mentioned Ark St. will be the toughest of the 3 Sunbelt conference teams. He was spot on about FAU using the non-conference games mostly to get experience for backups. I know Ark State played a total cream puff, but that score is pretty amazing no matter who's playing who.

we're huskers! we are used to getting all jacked up and then having our hearts ripped out! i'm even looking forward to it not happening til new year's day one of these seasons