Green the starter by Conference time?

Billyball

Well it is refreshing to see that others, including a knowledgeable Husker who attended the game shares my thoughts that Green may possibly be given an opportunity to lead this team, out of MERIT and/or necessity this season.

Granted he may not be up to the task and the Big Red will go as far as Zac can take us. I can live with that. I do however think there is a ceiling on that plan. I don't think those who claim Zac and these recievers are as good or better than Ganz and last year's WOs are truly knowledgeable fans.

When we face a real defense and you lock in on a reciever, you will get shut down. When you throw behind a reciever against a good defense you are not going to be successful and you will have some 'pick six'. 1. Lee is not going to run much.

A simple playbook with a 2. great athlete that adds another dimension to the game might well be better than a long playbook with a less athletic and versatile player when we play the biggies. 3. Options well run with Helu, Burk. and Green will worry any defense in the Big 12. Only time will tell.

If our passing game under Lee does not really click against topflite opponents, our running game will get shut down. To me the obvious answer if that does happen, is to try Green. We'll have an idea as to what the coaches are thinking (again they would not have pulled the redshirt in the first game of the season to have him back up Lee for 2 years) as to when they use Green. Only in a mop up role or gets some snaps earlier in the game? If that happens you will know that the staff is thinking they may need him to start. Or so it seems to me.

I hope we are a dominant offensive team clicking on all cylinders or we try Green by the time we play Misery and then the rest of the Big XII. Fans can differ on how to get to the next level where we want to be. GBR

1. Where do you get this? I think Lee will run a LOT . . . we just haven't shown it because we haven't had to.

2. Lee is a better athlete than Green. (see the strength and conditioning tests from the spring.)

3. See number 2. Lee, the FASTER ATHLETE, could run the option as well or better than Green.

One other quick scenario to think about. I just can't believe that Bo and Company would do this, but how many "highly" touted QB's have to lost to transfers that they were not going to be the starter played a role in? I mean, if you have a kid that is deemed the FUTURE of your program, but you don't show that you believe in him, is he going to stick around? Green could have probably went to a lot of schools and started. If we don't show confidence in him, it will only hurt confidence in himself. Maybe this is way of base, just another possible scenario that is playing a role.

This is the dumbest single post i have ever read. There are so many points that are simply laughable.

1. Lee locked onto the WR. You could see this from the stands. Ok. It doesn't matter that the game plan was designed that way. A simple plan with plays designed to give him 1 or 2 options only. This was done because it was his first start.

2. Lee isnt as good as Ganz. Hmmm Lets see. He is faster, he is stronger, he has a better arm. He has yet to make one stupid decision that cost us a game where as Ganz had 2 and tried to have 2 or 3 others (see Colorado in 07 and Clemson last year)

3. Green just looked more in command. He ran like 10 plays. completed 2 dump passes and threw the other way too hard. He had a good run, 1 good run against a beat down D on an inferior team. WooHoo he walks on water.

I could go on and on but i wont. Instead, i will ask a simple fricking question. DO YOU TRUST OUR COACHES?

If that answer is yes, then shut the hell up with the Green starting. Wats himself has said that Lee graded out much higher in the spring and much higher in the fall and higher for the first game. He has also stated that Lee is our starter period.

This is just another one of those absolutely stupid threads that makes me think I'm the only person over the age of 12 on here. Geez, we had one game, and Lee performed fine, yet some of you Crystal Ball readers now see a change at QB within 3 weeks?

What are you smoking? Green is a great talent, and should have a good future with the Huskers. What has Lee done to allow such a bold, however stupid it may be, assumption?

Pretty soon somebody will probably come on here and point out that Green performed better on their Playstation season.

Actually, you are completely wrong. Did you ever think that we don't have another QB on the roster even remotely good enough to play in the Big 12? I think that is the case and because of Kody Spano's injury the coaches had their hands forced to play the back up in case Lee goes down for the season with an injury.

Wow, some people really stretch with their reasoning about things.

BTW, ever heard of this guy Bradford? He won the Heisman, got hurt, OU didn't have anybody ready with real game action to replace him, they lost to BYU.

THAT IS WHY YOU PREPARE YOUR BACKUP, NOT BECAUSE YOU THINK HE IS GOING TO ALL OF THE SUDDEN UPROOT YOUR STARTER.

Jesus Christ, I have a headache in my eye from the bullsh1t being spewed on here over Green because of 1 play against a tired, beaten down SUN BELT team.

So this has nothing to do with Watson even making comments that the difference between the #1 and #2 QBs is quickly disappearing.. You're absolutely right, Green is terrible. Lets all go home and come back next year when Lee is even more seasoned than he is right now because Green will obviously never play. His redshirt wouldn't have been burned the first game if he wasn't going to play this season for considerable a considerable amount of time.. we also played LaTravis Washington in the first game who looked more than capable to be a back up QB.. Not a 10 win great QB, but capable to run plays and throw the ball. If we were merely worried about a backup to the starter, why even burn CG's rshirt and why not just prep Washington to take over Lee should he be injured? By your reasoning that is more logical for the program.

Wow, okay.......

#1-show me these comments from Wats, linky linky. Even if that is true, the gap was so wide that Lee was made the starter 3 days into camp. Easy to close that gap a little, huh?

#2-show me where I said that Green is terrible, are you like 12 years old?

#3-so, in your reasoning, we prepare the 3rd best QB in the system with game experience that way if Lee is out for the year right before Oklahoma or Kansas we can put in the #2 kid with no game experience up to this point and expect him to lead us to the North and B12 crown. We aren't preparing for the future anymore, BO WANTS TO WIN THEM ALL.

#4-the bolded part, that isn't good enough for Bo and (this is why I think you are a little young) it was never good enough for TO.

You see, grasshopper, if you don't think going in that the backup can win them all he isn't the backup. This isn't Bill Callahan's Nebraska anymore. Bo is done with the talent stockpiling. If they can play, they play be it 2nd string or not. Texas, USC, Florida, all the others top tier programs do it. That is what we want to become again.

You ever heard of this guy Tim Tebow? He played every game as a freshman as a back-up and situational guy. Never started once. First year starting he wins the Heisman trophy. Burned his redshirt, didn't start.

Now, tell me that I said Tebow was terrible, TO didn't know what he was doing, and that I think BC is the greatest coach in the history of the program. Go ahead, you made sh1t up the last post.

This coaching staff is not known for playing superior athletes who don't have a good grasp of the system on either side of the ball.

-Were there more athletic options at WR than Todd Peterson last year? Probably, but who started?

-Was Zac Lee a better athlete than Joe Ganz last year? Apparently, but who started?

-Was Rickey Thenarse a better athlete than Matt O'Hanlon last year? Probably, but who started?

We can speculate and have heated debates amongst ourselves all day, but we won't know until we know. There are several possibilities, but there will only be one truth.

-Is it POSSIBLE that Cody Green could start this year? Yes.

-Is it POSSIBLE that Zac Lee could start all year? Yes.

-Is it POSSIBLE that LaTravis Washington could start this year? Yes, it's possible.

Yes, Cody Green could be a special quarterback.....but how do you know Zac Lee won't be?

Let's support our #1 guy until he gives us a legitimate reason not to.

If you trust in the coaches, this is a moot issue. You'll see the best man for the job with the ball in his hand on Saturdays. Until further notice, that man is Zac Lee.

dedhoarse

He knew offensive coordinator Shawn Watson wasn’t going to dial up any play he couldn’t handle.

“We have quarterback meetings on Fridays and Coach Watson ... gives us a call sheet of all our plays and says, ‘Mark what you know. Mark what you can actually run with your eyes closed, and that’s what I’m going to call for you,’” Green said.

Green said he marked “maybe 15 out of 320” plays on the sheet. How many did starter Zac Lee mark? Green smiled. “All of them.”

Here is the link of the full story

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2009/09/09...89308066200.txt[/url]

wait for it

wait for it

wait

wait

Lee, barring injury, starts not only every game this year but next year as well?

Green has taken a small handfull of snaps in one game against an inferior beaten down opponent in meaningless time and it feels like at least half of the Husker nation is already calling for a change.

How are the boards going to read after the 4th game next year when Green still is the backup?

Is it so hard to believe that Zac Lee might be extremely good?

Lee will start for 2 years, my only hope is the Lee unfaithful step back at some point and give the player his due. If Lee read these message boards (i doubt he does) how do you think this looks to him.

Reading this garbage after having a very very solid game, leading us to a blowout win, watching your backup( the guy you clearly beat out) come in and run a couple of series and have a nice run and then going home and reading how the backup should start now or by conference or at least get a couple of series a half, whatever, would be disturbing.

Lets not forget that the only reason Green got to play at all is because our defense held them to 3 points and our offense, led by (the guy we want benched) staked us to a lead large enough to allow the BACKUPS to enter the game.

Ever heard of the phrase set up to fail? Well that is the situation we are putting Lee in. I can already see it, a close loss somewhere along the way where Lee completes 70% of his passes, throws for 3 scores, and has 0 picks, we lose due to a fumble or just simply get beat by 3 points, and the masses will be SCREAMING at the top of their lungs that had Green been in the game we would have won.

While i dont want us to lose a game ever, it might actually be the best thing if Lee were to get a little dinged up and miss 1 game only and have Green start and lose.

Green is going to be very good, maybe even awesome, but not for 2 years. Again, is it so hard to believe that Lee might also be very good, maybe even awesome?

wait for it

wait for it

wait

wait

Lee, barring injury, starts not only every game this year but next year as well?

Green has taken a small handfull of snaps in one game against an inferior beaten down opponent in meaningless time and it feels like at least half of the Husker nation is already calling for a change.

How are the boards going to read after the 4th game next year when Green still is the backup?

Is it so hard to believe that Zac Lee might be extremely good?

Lee will start for 2 years, my only hope is the Lee unfaithful step back at some point and give the player his due. If Lee read these message boards (i doubt he does) how do you think this looks to him.

Reading this garbage after having a very very solid game, leading us to a blowout win, watching your backup( the guy you clearly beat out) come in and run a couple of series and have a nice run and then going home and reading how the backup should start now or by conference or at least get a couple of series a half, whatever, would be disturbing.

Lets not forget that the only reason Green got to play at all is because our defense held them to 3 points and our offense, led by (the guy we want benched) staked us to a lead large enough to allow the BACKUPS to enter the game.

Ever heard of the phrase set up to fail? Well that is the situation we are putting Lee in. I can already see it, a close loss somewhere along the way where Lee completes 70% of his passes, throws for 3 scores, and has 0 picks, we lose due to a fumble or just simply get beat by 3 points, and the masses will be SCREAMING at the top of their lungs that had Green been in the game we would have won.

While i dont want us to lose a game ever, it might actually be the best thing if Lee were to get a little dinged up and miss 1 game only and have Green start and lose.

Green is going to be very good, maybe even awesome, but not for 2 years. Again, is it so hard to believe that Lee might also be very good, maybe even awesome?

And you know this two year scenario from one game in which a Jr. College QB started over a true Freshman exactly how?

Nobody wants Lee to fail. Nobody as far as I know has a dog in the fight as far as personalities go as you would have it. I just feel the coaches

1) Envision a greatly expanded role for Green in meaningful situations--I would say if we have trouble when we play a good team, even possibly become the starter

OR

2) They would have redshirted him --certainly through the first blow out game.

Everybody here trusts the coaches. Just like you did above, they think about the future and their crystal ball is just as clear as the one you are using!!