A Nebraska win against Virginia Tech Coach Pelini's Biggest So Far?

#19 Nebraska takes on #13 Virginia Tech on Saturday. If, or I should say when we win, Nebraska and Bo Pelini will have beaten a top 25 ranked opponent again, something Nebraska hasn't done since beating #24 ranked Texas A&M in 2006. The Coaches, and the Players are better than the team of 2006 too, and have a better understanding of the playbook.

Win this game and Nebraska takes a big step forward. I wish I could see firsthand the emotion in the players this week. I can only imagine that they'd lay down and die for each other right now, they're looking one another in the eye knowing, that they'll win as a team. They can't be thinking they hope their good enough to hang with VT, Nebraska needs to hone in that Nebraska tradition of Dominance on Offense and Defense. Smashmouth football, and knockdown drag out Blackshirt Defense that shows how we rule the field.

#19 Nebraska takes on #13 Virginia Tech on Saturday. If, or I should say when we win, Nebraska and Bo Pelini will have beaten a top 25 ranked opponent again, something Nebraska hasn't done since beating #24 ranked Texas A&M in 2006. The Coaches, and the Players are better than the team of 2006 too, and have a better understanding of the playbook.

Win this game and Nebraska takes a big step forward. I wish I could see firsthand the emotion in the players this week. I can only imagine that they'd lay down and die for each other right now, they're looking one another in the eye knowing, that they'll win as a team. They can't be thinking they hope their good enough to hang with VT, Nebraska needs to hone in that Nebraska tradition of Dominance on Offense and Defense. Smashmouth football, and knockdown drag out Blackshirt Defense that shows how we rule the field.

Lots of Questions. Saturday we get the answers

This game with VT is not a natural rivalry and indeed I wished they would have beaten Alabama. But you have two top 20 teams with some question marks.

Can they run on us like they did Marshal or will we shut them down ala Alabama?

Can we throw the ball on them like we did FAU and AKS or will VT shut down our offense?

My take is that the game may well not be the 3 pt close game that many are calling for rather, something of a runaway.

I would bet it will be something of a one sided affair based on which defense prevails. I would bet that the final score is 2 touchdowns or more spread.

One team will be thinking "what a long afternoon" while one thinks "This is much easier than we thought".

I think the Big Red will be in the latter group, but am not sure of that since we haven't faced a tough opponent. I trust Bo to have the defense ready. The talent seems to be there. But I think it turns on the defense as most games do.

If I'm right about a blowout in this contest, for the winner the season looks terribly bright while for the loser t gets a lot tougher.

you know...i just thought about this.

VaTech is going in with the line on this game. Clearly the hot dogs that predict games feel that Hokies are going to come out winners in this game.

But how many Big 12 upsets have we seen this year so far?

Quite a few, though most of them were negative upsets. Who feels that Huskers are gonna pull off an upset this week, and beat the Hokies? Why not let the Upset Curse in the Big 12 work in our favor and help us win? :)

A Nebraska win against Virginia Tech Coach Pelini's Biggest So Far?

Absolutely, 100% yes. I don't expect us to pull this out. Nobody in Blacksburg expects us to. Vegas doesn't expect us to. Our defense is going to have to get nasty and Zach Lee is gonna have to play extremely smart football. Helu needs to find that extra gear that was missing last week and help carry the offense. The Husker attitude needs to come out in full bloom and there's no better time for it to happen than this game.

This would be Pelini's biggest win thus far and NU's best win a nearly 10 years. I may be wrong, but I believe that we are among two teams in a major conference that have not beaten a ranked team in 10 years. I may be mistaken, but only NU and Duke have this honor. Apparently, Iowa State, Baylor, kentucky, Vanderbilt,.... and the dogs of every conference have one against a ranked opponent --- not us. This win (if we win) would be far, far far bigger than beating Michigan or Clemson.

This would be Pelini's biggest win thus far and NU's best win a nearly 10 years. I may be wrong, but I believe that we are among two teams in a major conference that have not beaten a ranked team in 10 years. I may be mistaken, but only NU and Duke have this honor. Apparently, Iowa State, Baylor, kentucky, Vanderbilt,.... and the dogs of every conference have one against a ranked opponent --- not us. This win (if we win) would be far, far far bigger than beating Michigan or Clemson.

Actually that stat is beating a top 20 team and it may even be on the road. The last time the Huskers beat a ranked team was either T A&M in 2006 or Michigan. Would need to look that up.

It was Texas A&M, not sure of the year though.

Nov 11, 2006, fortunate enough to be there....... ZT to Purify for the GW TD sent electricity down my spine

I don't believe A&M was ranked before or after that game. They weren't ranked in the AP or Coach's final polls, either.

They were 24th in the AP Poll going into that game, that is how that stat is derived.

I don't believe A&M was ranked before or after that game. They weren't ranked in the AP or Coach's final polls, either.
They were 24th in the AP Poll going into that game, that is how that stat is derived.

I don't recall that. I don't suppose you've got a link to that somewhere, do you?

Where does a guy find historic weekly rankings? I'd love to have that info...