The Beauty of Being the Underdog

craigsker

For your sake lets hope NU wins, because if they dont that crow is going to taste awful next week.

I hope next week it is I who is eating crow --- as I have predicted a VT 14 point win over NU. I really do not see this game as being really overly contested. VT should have fairly smooth sailing. So.... like I say, I hope the Huskers prove me wrong and I'd love to have to eat crow next week.

For your sake lets hope NU wins, because if they dont that crow is going to taste awful next week.

I hope next week it is I who is eating crow --- as I have predicted a VT 14 point win over NU. I really do not see this game as being really overly contested. VT should have fairly smooth sailing. So.... like I say, I hope the Huskers prove me wrong and I'd love to have to eat crow next week.

Wow, really? It wasn't like that last year, you think VT improved more than the Huskers?

Wow, really? It wasn't like that last year, you think VT improved more than the Huskers?

Caveman:

I don't know. Maybe I am just nervous. We have for so long "thought" the Huskers would soon turn the corner. And that day has not yet arrived (well, it has somewhat... but not like we all hope). I am really leery of how well weak teams this year have run on the Huskers --- and VT has those backs and a more experienced Tyrod Taylor. Plus, I also am leery of how well last week a weak opponent handled our running game. The axiom is that those who can stop the run and can themselves run win almost every time. I just think that VT will run on NU with impunity and that we will not be able to run.

Its a match-up thing. And the match up in the running game seems to go to VT both when they are on offense (being able to run on NU) and on defense (being able to stop the NU run).

Now... the ace in the hole is Zac Lee. He may just pass so well and move the ball in the air that NU has a shot. I hope so. But he'll need time to do that. And if the run is stopped, will our OL be able to protect Lee?

So Caveman maybe I have it wrong but from where I sit, perhaps too pessimistic than is healthy, but it seems that VT has a fairly smooth path to victory over NU. Again, I hope I am wrong.

I have loved the Huskers since I attended UNL for graduate school now over 25 years ago. I am like you --- one who lives and breathes Husker football. Been there for the good and the bad. I guess I'm a little gun-shy about predicting "good" when we really have not seen "good" for many years (or, at least, much good). Lets hope they prove me wrong on this one.

Caveman:

I don't know. Maybe I am just nervous. We have for so long "thought" the Huskers would soon turn the corner. And that day has not yet arrived (well, it has somewhat... but not like we all hope). I am really leery of how well weak teams this year have run on the Huskers --- and VT has those backs and a more experienced Tyrod Taylor. Plus, I also am leery of how well last week a weak opponent handled our running game. The axiom is that those who can stop the run and can themselves run win almost every time. I just think that VT will run on NU with impunity and that we will not be able to run.

Its a match-up thing. And the match up in the running game seems to go to VT both when they are on offense (being able to run on NU) and on defense (being able to stop the NU run).

Now... the ace in the hole is Zac Lee. He may just pass so well and move the ball in the air that NU has a shot. I hope so. But he'll need time to do that. And if the run is stopped, will our OL be able to protect Lee?

So Caveman maybe I have it wrong but from where I sit, perhaps too pessimistic than is healthy, but it seems that VT has a fairly smooth path to victory over NU. Again, I hope I am wrong.

I have loved the Huskers since I attended UNL for graduate school now over 25 years ago. I am like you --- one who lives and breathes Husker football. Been there for the good and the bad. I guess I'm a little gun-shy about predicting "good" when we really have not seen "good" for many years (or, at least, much good). Lets hope they prove me wrong on this one.

Ok I get all of that, my point is that this was the case last year too, that was a 5 point game. At this point you have to take a guess at which team has improved the most. Here is how I look at it.

NU Run Game: NU became a pretty good running team as the year went last season and is much better today than it was in Week #4 last season, but it is not the same running game you and I are used to. Gone are the days of NU running no matter the down, Watson just wants balance in the number of play calls. Call enough plays to make VT account for the run. NU has shown the ability to win by either running or passing, Watson takes what is given. The first two games this year is a good example of this. If VT stuffs the box, Watson is going to try and beat them with the pass. I have confidence they can do this, the key is to stick with the run to allow the favorable match ups in the passing game.

VT Stopping the Run: Something they hang their hat on for sure, but we saw cracks in their armor vs. Alabama. I am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here though, but I don't think they are better at this than last season. I think this is something they do consistently very well. Given that NU has improved in the run game on offense, NU should get more production this year.

NU Stopping the Run: Last year in the 2 games prior to VT, NU gave up 137 yards to San Jose St. on 34 attempts (4.03/att) and 114 yards to New Mexico State on 32 attempts (3.56/att). This year NU has given up 143 yards to Ark. St. on 38 attempts (3.76/att) and 122 yards on 35 attempts to FAU (3.49/att). The past two seasons are pretty equal IMO in stopping the run.

VT Running the Ball: Last season VT was 35th in the Nation in Rushing O at 174.36 yds/game. This season they are 13th in the Nation at 254 yds/game, however it is the tale of 2 games for them. They only got 64 yards vs. Alabama and 444 yards vs. a bad Marshall team. I will give them credit that they will be as good as they were last season, I don't think they are better though. They have Freshmen, albeit very talented Freshmen, playing. They are a good running team no doubt, I don't think they took a step up.

Other Factors: In the last game NU lost the TO battle 0-2, had a punt blocked for a safety, AND gave up really good field position on 4-5 punts. These factors were the biggest reasons that VT won. This season NU is doing much better in TO margin than they were last season. They are also doing a fantastic job on kick and punt coverage. NU has vastly improved in these areas, VT will be at the same high level as they always are. NU has closed a large portion of the gap and this will help them limit VT's influence in these areas.

I just feel that NU has made much bigger strides than VT since the last meeting. That is what gives me a quiet confidence.