1620 zone

Twodocs

this is strange...

Here's what I think it boils down to, and the guys on Husker Sports Nightly hit the nail on the head with what I've been thinking since he left.

When running backs go to a division 1 school, they think they are the best running back in the nation even if that school recruited a couple of other backs. Then, when this guy gets there, he realizes that everybody is just as talented if not more talented than he is. He then soon realizes he is going to redshirt, and before you know it he is 3rd or 4th (maybe even lower) on the depth chart behind guys who haves years to play (like him) but are playing better than he is. He starts to think the place he is at isn't right for him, so he decides to transfer to another place to play ball and get more PT.

I bet Collins just pulled himself together and realized that he didn't want to leave and that he needs to tough it out and perform. Being so far down on the depth chart that he is, he probably realized he needs to work really hard to start getting PT.

Boy, that is some really good insight. Thank you.

It made no sense for him to leave now that play has started, he might as well stick out the season and see what happens. It wouldn't surprise me if he leaves later on but at-least he'll have tried.

I think if he hadn't played yet, and I don't think he has, then he could count this year as his sit out year for the transfer to a D1 school. That would leave him 3 years of eligibility.

Here's how you know the news is not necessarily real, but a salable commodity you're being coached to consume. Okafor left the team on Wednesday, and by 8pm it was on CNN/SI's front page. That same article is still there, as is the "Truth & Rumors" blurb whose headline says our RBs take "another hit."

Now, Okafor has been back for nearly 24 hours, yet both articles are still up on their front page.

Why? Because it's far easier to sell bad news than good news, that's why.

I went to school with Okafor, for some reason he always seemed like he was the best running back in the state... Well when we played good teams in his senior year my junior year he didn't fair to well against the better teams such as Creighton Prep, Millard North, and in the first round of playoffs to Bellevue West

Well he was good enough to get recuited at NU and good enough to trash the Husker line up in spring game!

And at Westside I saw him carry that Westside team many times. I was very impressed with him every time I saw him. And, Ii would like to see him now against some Florida Atlantic type teams. I do not understand why we have only seen two backs. We will need more than two backs according to Watson. And I am wondering if this is Watson or Beck who is deciding these things. I do know we have not had much of a running game since we last beat a top 20 team on the road. I wonder if here could be some coorelation there!

Here's how you know the news is not necessarily real, but a salable commodity you're being coached to consume. Okafor left the team on Wednesday, and by 8pm it was on CNN/SI's front page. That same article is still there, as is the "Truth & Rumors" blurb whose headline says our RBs take "another hit."

Now, Okafor has been back for nearly 24 hours, yet both articles are still up on their front page.

The news is real. :dunno Bo Pelini acknowledged that Okafor left the team yesterday. This morning Jamrog acknowledged that "Pelini left the door open, and Okafor came back.

This story wasn't fabricated. Although it did happen very quickly.

And, that is a 3.6 in tough pre- med curriculum, like chemikstry and very difficult courses!

"Friday, September 18, 2009

Jamrog: NU welcomed back freshman I-back Okafor

11:52 a.m. Jeff Jamrog shed some light today on the events involving Nebraska I-back Collins Okafor, who quit the team only to return after one day on Thursday.

Speaking at the Big Red Breakfast, Jamrog said NU coach Bo Pelini handled the situation well.

“I respect Bo for saying, ‘You know what, the door's open,'” said Jamrog, Nebraska's assistant athletic director for football. “A coach has heard that kind of language before. (The player) goes home. They think about it, and it starts sorting itself out.

“This young man came in with a lot of pressure. When you are very successful in high school, then now are in a position where you have to be patient, sometimes that is tough to do. Collins is a great kid. He has a 3.6 GPA. He does have some tools.” :clap:clap

Patience is important, Jamrog said, for players like the redshirt freshman Okafor, who find himself seemingly buried on the depth chart. NU running backs coach Tim Beck told Okafor to continue to keep working and to be patient, according to Jamrog.

He also reminded the crowd about the patience shown by former quarterback Joe Ganz, who remained a backup until late in his junior season before setting records as the NU starter in 2008.

The news is real. :dunno Bo Pelini acknowledged that Okafor left the team yesterday. This morning Jamrog acknowledged that "Pelini left the door open, and Okafor came back." :clap

"Friday, September 18, 2009

Jamrog: NU welcomed back freshman I-back Okafor

11:52 a.m. Jeff Jamrog shed some light today on the events involving Nebraska I-back Collins Okafor, who quit the team only to return after one day on Thursday.

Speaking at the Big Red Breakfast, Jamrog said NU coach Bo Pelini handled the situation well.

“I respect Bo for saying, ‘You know what, the door's open,'” said Jamrog, Nebraska's assistant athletic director for football. “A coach has heard that kind of language before. (The player) goes home. They think about it, and it starts sorting itself out.

“This young man came in with a lot of pressure. When you are very successful in high school, then now are in a position where you have to be patient, sometimes that is tough to do. Collins is a great kid. He has a 3.6 GPA. He does have some tools.” :clap:clap

Patience is important, Jamrog said, for players like the redshirt freshman Okafor, who find himself seemingly buried on the depth chart. NU running backs coach Tim Beck told Okafor to continue to keep working and to be patient, according to Jamrog.

He also reminded the crowd about the patience shown by former quarterback Joe Ganz, who remained a backup until late in his junior season before setting records as the NU starter in 2008.

The news is real. :dunno Bo Pelini acknowledged that Okafor left the team yesterday. This morning Jamrog acknowledged that "Pelini left the door open, and Okafor came back." :clap

Thank you. I was waiting to get bashed for not posting a link.

The news is real. :dunno Bo Pelini acknowledged that Okafor left the team yesterday. This morning Jamrog acknowledged that "Pelini left the door open, and Okafor came back.

that wasn't knapplc's point, he is pointing out how the media quickly gobbled up the bad news yet you won't see anything further regarding the good news. He is making a point that bad news sells and good news doesn't.

I want to know who talked him through this. Paul? Ex-player? A current or former coach? My gut tells me someone did.

In my minds-eye, it was TO. Okafor went to clean out his locker, shut the door and he was standing there. Gave him a "these aren't the droids you are looking for".

Naw seriously, this is good news. Even with the hat choosing stunt, I've always had high hopes for Collins. Go out there and earn your spot buddy. You looked strong and fast at the spring game.

GBR!

Maybe Solich drove to Omaha and begged him to come back <_< yeah and if that i the case we should begood to go on anothe Heisman Trophy!

Good to see him back. Maybe this will open some eyes on the coaching staff, and get these kids some playing time when a game is in well in hand. First two games were over starting the 4th Q. The starters are in till 6 or 7 min left or less. Good time to let the kids that don't see any or much playing time, get their feet wet, for all the hard work they put in through the week. Only maybe a couple of games left now, for them to get that playing time. jmo......

GBR!!!

Good to see him back. Maybe this will open some eyes on the coaching staff, and get these kids some playing time when a game is in well in hand. First two games were over starting the 4th Q. The starters are in till 6 or 7 min left or less. Good time to let the kids that don't see any or much playing time, get their feet wet, for all the hard work they put in through the week. Only maybe a couple of games left now, for them to get that playing time. jmo......

GBR!!!

Those starters needed the PT more than the backups, though. Our starters barely have more experience than the 4th string.