Bo: No blackshirts, yet

BY BRENT C. WAGNER / Lincoln Journal Star

As sure as crisp fall mornings in Nebraska, now is also the time to talk about Blackshirts in the state. You know, the practice jerseys worn by Nebraska's top defensive unit.

It's no disrespect to the proud Blackshirt tradition, coach Bo Pelini said Monday during the weekly news conference, but it's not time for Blackshirts to be handed out just yet. Pelini says it will be obvious when that time comes.

"It's something you’ve got to earn," Pelini said. "You’ve got to earn things over time."

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/1...6d096080893.txt

As sure as crisp fall mornings in Nebraska, now is also the time to talk about Blackshirts in the state. You know, the practice jerseys worn by Nebraska's top defensive unit.

It's no disrespect to the proud Blackshirt tradition, coach Bo Pelini said Monday during the weekly news conference, but it's not time for Blackshirts to be handed out just yet. Pelini says it will be obvious when that time comes.

"It's something you’ve got to earn," Pelini said. "You’ve got to earn things over time."

The part in bold tells me he has a specific goal the team/defense needs to reach before they are handed out. Whether it be a certain amount of takeaways in a game or consecutive games or no breakdowns. There must be a certain set of high yet attainable goals he has set and untill the defense reaches those there wont be any Blackshirts. IMO

Yeah we've had good defense the previous four games, and I know we've got the top rated scoring defense but you look at who we've played. I think this is a main reason they had yet to be handed out. If we can get through the Texas tech game limiting Missouri and tech to 14-21 points and most importantly win, then you can address the issue of the blackshirts. It's kinda like the polls right now if we continue to win throughout conference play and do so impressively everything will work out. The blackshirts are something that are to be deserved not just given to because of kicking around some sun belt teams and a week to week Virginia tech team. We are wiling to gain respect of the national media and I agree with not handing out the blackshirts yet. Now come late october and our defense is still dominate and we are atop the north. That'll be the time to reward the defense with the privilage of wearing the blackshirts.

The part in bold tells me he has a specific goal the team/defense needs to reach before they are handed out. Whether it be a certain amount of takeaways in a game or consecutive games or no breakdowns. There must be a certain set of high yet attainable goals he has set and untill the defense reaches those there wont be any Blackshirts. IMO

I think he just wants consistency. He knows that it's impossible to be perfect, but there is still no reason why you shouldn't strive for it.

All great defenses have break downs and busts, that's just how the game works. I believe he just wants it to get to the point of where everybody understands everything and busts/break downs are few and far between. We are still subject to bone-headed break downs we should be making every once in awhile.

I think not giving out blackshirts to the defensive starters in the first place is odd. If you are a defensive starter for NU you should get one ... it is up to the player to have pride in it and live up to what it stands for. Having them withheld until the defense is at a certain level seems a bit odd. Oh well, I guess it is motivation, but wouldn't the desire to live up to the tradition also be motivation? Why not just give them out to certain players then, like Suh or other standouts, that makes just as much sense as not giving them out at all.

I think not giving out blackshirts to the defensive starters in the first place is odd. If you are a defensive starter for NU you should get one ... it is up to the player to have pride in it and live up to what it stands for. Having them withheld until the defense is at a certain level seems a bit odd. Oh well, I guess it is motivation, but wouldn't the desire to live up to the tradition also be motivation? Why not just give them out to certain players then, like Suh or other standouts, that makes just as much sense as not giving them out at all.

Because Bo and Co are HUGE on emphasizing that it is a team effort, and not merely a collection of individuals. That'd go contrary to what he preaches every day.

Because Bo and Co are HUGE on emphasizing that it is a team effort, and not merely a collection of individuals. That'd go contrary to what he preaches every day.

Removing the blackshirts seems like a Calahan move. Is he the one who started it?

Agreed. Definitely need to be earned and not just handed out just because you are a starter. If the 'D' keeps playing well then they will get them in due time. GO BIG RED!!! BEAT MIZZOU!!!!

Removing the blackshirts seems like a Calahan move. Is he the one who started it?

Wow. Those are like curse words to a Husker fan. No. It was Bo who first started awarding them during mid-season.

No man, Bo took them away because under Callahan the Huskers played defense like the Pink Shirts. Nebraska used be top 10 nationally in defense every season. A bad year for Nebraska's defense was 20th in the nation. I think Bo is laying an expectation down of elite defense before the Blackshirts are awarded again.

Right now, Nebraska seems to be on their way, but they need to show they can shut down a high powered Big 12 offense before one could say the actual distiniction of the Blackshirts has been earned. I think once NU gets to that point, you will likely see the Blackshirts here to stay.