Watson resolute amid tension

Let's see what he does this week, and throughout the rest of the season in the form of play calling. If we see another MU game plan and the same VT red zone calls, we'll know what's really what.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The Huskers redzone issues had nothing to do with the play calling. It was EXECUTION that was the problem. Shawn Watson didn't drop two sure TDs in the end zone, or commit a half dozen false starts on one drive. And he sure as hell didn't commit the holding penalty that cost McNeill his TD either.

Seriously all this armchair coordinating is getting old. Was I freaking out at half time of the Mizzou game? Damn right I was, and by the end of the game I felt foolish for it too. If you guys aren't sold on the fact that Watson is a damn good Coordinator yet, then I'm afraid you will never be satisfied. What would you prefer we canned him for someone like Barney Cotton? We know he likes to run the football. How bout we bring ol' Franky Solich back, and see how unproductive our offense is then! <_<

Actually I believe Frankie's offense would've won that game Thursday.

Let's see what he does this week, and throughout the rest of the season in the form of play calling. If we see another MU game plan and the same VT red zone calls, we'll know what's really what.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The Huskers redzone issues had nothing to do with the play calling. It was EXECUTION that was the problem. Shawn Watson didn't drop two sure TDs in the end zone, or commit a half dozen false starts on one drive. And he sure as hell didn't commit the holding penalty that cost McNeill his TD either.

Seriously all this armchair coordinating is getting old. Was I freaking out at half time of the Mizzou game? Damn right I was, and by the end of the game I felt foolish for it too. If you guys aren't sold on the fact that Watson is a damn good Coordinator yet, then I'm afraid you will never be satisfied. What would you prefer we canned him for someone like Barney Cotton? We know he likes to run the football. How bout we bring ol' Franky Solich back, and see how unproductive our offense is then! <_<

Yes, and you've been wrong everytime you said it. Saying it over and again won't make you right.

To date, Watson has been ok at best. He has never been great and has seldom been poor. Let's see what he does from here on out. I'm more than willing to watch and see, considering that's all I can really do. But when it's all boiled off, all I will do is to continue to call it the way it is.

The one thing I do find interesting is that all of media, the guys that have actually played the game at the NU level and above, said his game plan stunk. I guess all of those guys don't know what they are talking about.

But a win is a win, and I know one thing for certain. There isn't an NU that won't take the win and say Thank You Very Much....May I have another.

The one thing I do find interesting is that all of media, the guys that have actually played the game at the NU level and above, said his game plan stunk. I guess all of those guys don't know what they are talking about.

I don’t know who you are referring to in general, but I do know that before the La-Lafayette game I heard a media type that used to play for NU say that Suh breaking up the passes against Va-Tech was a result of him being dominated on the line and not because he made good plays. What does this have to do with anything? :dunno Who knows I just wanted to show an example of a media type/former player whose analysis and opinion on a topic was complete crap. <_< FYI: He also said that McCoy from OU was the best DL in the Big 12.

As far as Watson goes, the offense will be fine. This isn’t the first time in the History of NU football that the offense stunk for 3 quarters only to catch fire in the 4th and win the game.

Yeah, good thing we canned "Franky" & staff for a miserable bowl winning 10-3 season. Look how far Callahan and fluffball have taken us!!

Execution. Block, run, catch, convert first downs, move the chains, score points. These guys are doing it every day in practice. They need to get it done in the game more consistently. It takes time. I've got time.

The other thing is, how many times does someone question a play that gets a first down? Or several plays that move the offense on a 60 yard drive converted into 7 points? No one is b/c ppl are too busy high-fiving their friends and cheering to the Husker band.

Pointing fingers at coaches and playcalling etc when all you have to do is execute the play. If you execute and get stopped, well that's the job of the defense.

Huskers won and things should be pleasant around here. Freakin' won. On the road. Against a ranked opponent. In the rain. Coming back from 12 points down entering the fourth quarter.

And they took over the entire fourth quarter on both sides of the ball. Damn. It sounds like ppl are not happy unless the Huskers score 49 points and have a Heisman QB or RB. Otherwise bench this guy, start the backup, question the coach and playcalling. Same threads, different wording, all about the same ogey-baloney.

I am so proud and happy about the Huskers winning in Columbia. I dig it a lot. Come on yall, its TexTech time. :woo

Plenty of blame to go around when your offense is playing as poorly as ours. You can say we did enough to win, but it's pretty rare that you're going to get two deep TDs (one was telegraphed the whole way by Lee and played horribly by the safety) and two INTs in one quarter to win the game for you.

Lee didn't play well, the run blocking was inconsistent and Helu really didn't step up. But I think Watson is worthy of some blame too. Look at the playcalling. We ran 17 plays under center (counting pistol) and 15 were runs. One pass under center was essentially a no-back set (because of motion) so there was no threat to run there, and the other was the TD to McNeill. You can see Missouri knew we would pass when we came out under center with a single back. It was too predictable. We could have killed them with a play-action. Hell even a normal pass play under center may have surprised them by the 3rd quarter. Every time they saw us under center they would fly to the running lanes and usually blow up the play (one play in the 3rd quarter comes to mind especially).

This article says we take what the defense gives us. Are we really supposed to believe Missouri's average defense (did anyone watch them against BG or Nevada?) gave us NOTHING for three quarters?!? We made them look like the Steel Curtain, and play-calling is part of the reason.

a great OC will always be able to defend his game plan afterwords, if the team wins. the problem i have is the pass plays being called were wide-outs and it was painfully obvious that Lee couldn't hit $hit with a wet ball, yet they ran no screens, draws or shuffle passes.........and Lee continued to throw a terrible ball....you don't keep calling the same plays, do you?

Plenty of blame to go around when your offense is playing as poorly as ours. You can say we did enough to win, but it's pretty rare that you're going to get two deep TDs (one was telegraphed the whole way by Lee and played horribly by the safety) and two INTs in one quarter to win the game for you.

Lee didn't play well, the run blocking was inconsistent and Helu really didn't step up. But I think Watson is worthy of some blame too. Look at the playcalling. We ran 17 plays under center (counting pistol) and 15 were runs. One pass under center was essentially a no-back set (because of motion) so there was no threat to run there, and the other was the TD to McNeill. You can see Missouri knew we would pass when we came out under center with a single back. It was too predictable. We could have killed them with a play-action. Hell even a normal pass play under center may have surprised them by the 3rd quarter. Every time they saw us under center they would fly to the running lanes and usually blow up the play (one play in the 3rd quarter comes to mind especially).

This article says we take what the defense gives us. Are we really supposed to believe Missouri's average defense (did anyone watch them against BG or Nevada?) gave us NOTHING for three quarters?!? We made them look like the Steel Curtain, and play-calling is part of the reason.

agree, Watson damn near got out coached, but Suh helped him out.....

a great OC will always be able to defend his game plan afterwords, if the team wins. the problem i have is the pass plays being called were wide-outs and it was painfully obvious that Lee couldn't hit $hit with a wet ball, yet they ran no screens, draws or shuffle passes.........and Lee continued to throw a terrible ball....you don't keep calling the same plays, do you?

No you shouldnt.

Man I love the shovel pass. Get your head set on bro, I like it

what watson said makes sense, if the d stacks 8 or 9 in the box, why not throw over it to your hot read? basic stuff and that is what you should do, take what is given. just pounding the ball when your top back is hurting and is getting stuffed just doesn't make sense.

Except for the fact that it's painfully obvious with the audible. Anytime lee waves both arms in a "scrap that sign" it means the D setup right and here comes a pass. At least that would be what they were implying in the article by saying they had a certain number of runs called but they stacked the box so we audibled to a pass play. I realize there are many different passing plays in each formation :) but I do still wonder how many run plays lee stuck too despite the look the defense gave him. Just some observations and thoughts.

THis is what I have been thinking about. You rarely see us check into a run, and there have been so many times that you see Lee audibling and the defense then shakes off their call. I would think that maybe we have some false calls to through them off from time to time if they are doing that, but the check from run to pass thing is what worries me. Its like opposing teams know that all they have to do is SHOW presnap that they are agressive in the box to stop the run, and then we switch to pass via audible, they switch to pass defense same way- or it was just show to begin with. Audibles HAVE without a doubt gotten us some big plays, but sometimes there is something to be said about just lining up and running the freakin plays that were called.

cmon guys......i have played ball at a high level (i ended up leaving my team after 1 season to focus on academics because i knew i would have no shot at the next level) and playing in the rain and on the road is NOT an easy thing to do no matter who you are!

As a football team you have to play to the weakness of what the other team is doing to have the most success. IE: if the defense is loading the box to stop the run, why the hell would you try to run? that means there are only 3-4 in coverage and you have significantly greater than 50% chance of completing the pass. If the defense is sending 8 into coverage, then run 7/8 times and you are going to have success!

Basically, your offense needs to adjust to what the defense is doing. That is the basic premise of no huddle teams are looking to the sideline to get the call after the defense has lined up. It is so you can see what the defense is doing and adjust yourself offensively to take advantage of the defense.

When all is said and done.......if you are running the ball when the defense is stacking 8 in the box, you are playing right into their hand and you will most likely lose.....we do not run the triple option offense and we simply cannot do that....neither can many other teams in the country......