Officiating

shyndy

I can't believe this thread got any traction or that it even exists. We have big problems fellas, stuff that will not get fixed with all questionable calls going our way. Abandon ship and look for a thread that will actually help us become a better football team, not a luckier one.

What game were you watching? Ya we sucked and deserved to lose. The O needs serious help I've been on those threads talking about it. But the refs sucked too and it wasn't just the luck you talked about, repeated bad officiating in Tech's favor goes beyond bad luck. When the refs show unadulterated hypocrisy in how they call things that isn't just bad luck.

If we had stopped making stupid mistakes (some penalties were in fact called correctly) and had some consistency on offense, we would have won the game no matter how bad the refs called the game.

And think about it, would it make a difference if the refs had called all penalties correctly and we had lost 21-17? Or if we had won? Geez we'd probably be in or close to the top 10 and everybody would be talking NC.

I can't believe this thread got any traction or that it even exists. We have big problems fellas, stuff that will not get fixed with all questionable calls going our way. Abandon ship and look for a thread that will actually help us become a better football team, not a luckier one.

That is fine and all for the coaches and team to say and believe, but as a football fan, I will complain when I see officiating like I saw saturday, there should be some penalties thrown the way of the officials (haha!). The worst part is that some of it is possibly big-12 and ncaa issues. If all the questionable calls go our way, its at least two situations where Tech is trying for field goals with a less than stellar kicker. I would have to go back and rewatch the game to pick everything out because I can't remember if a couple of them were on seperate drives or not, but just those two alone would be enough to complain about, and it is a problem whether the game is 0-0 or 60-0. If refs are making terrible calls "our problems" actually has little to do with it. A bad call that changes the score is a bad call that changes the score.

That is fine and all for the coaches and team to say and believe, but as a football fan, I will complain when I see officiating like I saw saturday, there should be some penalties thrown the way of the officials (haha!). The worst part is that some of it is possibly big-12 and ncaa issues. If all the questionable calls go our way, its at least two situations where Tech is trying for field goals with a less than stellar kicker. I would have to go back and rewatch the game to pick everything out because I can't remember if a couple of them were on seperate drives or not, but just those two alone would be enough to complain about, and it is a problem whether the game is 0-0 or 60-0. If refs are making terrible calls "our problems" actually has little to do with it. A bad call that changes the score is a bad call that changes the score.

Exactly! How can anyone say that a call that extends a drive does not change the outcome of the game? Punt or Field Goal attempts vs. Touchdowns, yep no difference there. Defense on the field for three plays vs. the extended drive. How does this not effect the game? Was our offense bad? Hell yes it was, but when the officials are calling a one sided game it hurts both sides of the ball. :steam

I used to be one who preached that a team couldn't blame a loss on bad officiating and the team should never have put themselves in the position where an officials bad call cost them a game... <_< f#*k that. The officials were stuck on stupid from the opening drive. It's a no wonder Bo got a case of the ass with them. They deserved the tirade he bestowed upon them. The refs during this game royally sucked the hind tit :angry:

I used to be one who preached that a team couldn't blame a loss on bad officiating and the team should never have put themselves in the position where an officials bad call cost them a game... <_< f#*k that. The officials were stuck on stupid from the opening drive. It's a no wonder Bo got a case of the ass with them. They deserved the tirade he bestowed upon them. The refs during this game royally sucked the hind tit :angry:

I think Bo is complaining too much. Granted there were some calls to be pissed off about but I don't think getting in the face of a ref is doing any good. It's not that they crap their pants and favor the Huskers on the next questionable call. If I were a ref and Bo would yell in my face I would try to piss him off even more hoping he would choke on his gum. But seriously Bo preaches discipline but cannot contain himself from yelling at referees on every questionable call. And he is not just yelling sometimes it seems like he is gonna eat that ref.

IT IS EVERYWHERE BUT NOT ANY PLACE IS IT AS BAD AS IN THE BIG 12

SEC officials admit mistake during Arkansas-Florida game

Posted 40m ago | Comments 5 | Recommend 2 E-mail | Save | Print |

ShareYahoo! Buzz Add to Mixx Facebook TwitterMore Fark Digg Reddit MySpace StumbleUpon Propeller LinkedInSubscribe myYahoo iGoogleMore Netvibes myAOL

By David Jones, Florida Today

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The SEC has notified Arkansas officials to let them know game officials made a mistake in calling a 10-yard penalty that helped Florida continue its final touchdown drive of the game in the Gators' 23-20 win on Saturday.

The call was a personal foul for a late hit on Razorbacks defensive tackle Malcolm Sheppard on a first down play with UF at the Arkansas 21. The penalty moved the ball half the distance of the goal line, to the 10.

Jeff Demps scored on the next play to tie the game at 20-20 with 7:27 left in the game. By scoring so early, UF had time to get the ball back and drive for a winning field goal with nine seconds to play.

CAMPUS RIVALRY: Highs and lows from the weekend

GAME STORY: Florida edges Arkansas 23-20

Hogs coach Bobby Petrino was outspoken on his Sunday TV show about officials calls in the game. Arkansas had 10 penalties for 92 yards, compared to three for 16 yards for the Gators

The SEC statement was released through the league's associate commissioner, Charles Bloom:

"As is standard procedure, following each game, institutions will send a list of plays from its previous game to the conference office for review and comment. We have been in contact with Arkansas concerning this review from its game against Florida. We did communicate to Arkansas that, after video review, there was no evidence on the video to support the personal foul penalty called on Arkansas midway through the fourth quarter. The other calls that were referenced are judgment calls and a review of those calls have been communicated to Arkansas."

On his Sunday TV show Petrino rewound tape of a hit by UF linebacker Dustin Doe on back Dennis Johnson along the sideline.

"When they hit you when you're on the white, it's supposed to be a late hit, a 15-yard penalty," Petrino said. "Unfortunately, in Florida, they don't call it that way."

Arkansas had 10 penalties for 92 yards. Florida had just three penalties for 16 yards. Petrino was also upset about two penalties (a 15-yard personal foul and 10-yard pass interference call) on the Gators' final touchdown drive.

"It's unfortunate that the fourth quarter there's probably three plays that the officials made the difference in the game," Petrino said on his TV show.

Petrino is not alone. CBS announcers working the game seemed to agree with him on several of the questionable calls.

LINK

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...officials_N.htm

wow, i can't believe as a coach that Petrino would say that about the calls making "the difference in the game." Like I said before, the coach can't be like us blaming everything on the refs (even if its all their fault) because of the message it sends to the team. I kind of want to see that fourth quarter though. Why is it that we never see apologies from the big-12 refs? I think I remember the pac10 refs apologizing after that oregon v. oklahoma mess.

I like Bo's fire and passion for the game, but he needs to give the refs

a break sometimes and concentrate on the game.

Maybe if he was the head coach for the O and not just the D, it would

keep is head in the game and wont have time to worry about calls.

However, it would be easier if the players werent comitting so many

bonehead penalties.

GBR

Officiating in the Big 12 is just down right horrifying.

If any of you have some time, I would suggest going to the KOZN homepage and listening to the Unsportsmanlike Conduct show from 10-20-09. Listen to the segment on officiating, because it is very very good. Kevin and Mike'l talked in depth about how the Big 12 officials have been calling the most penalties but also have some of the toughest guidelines to follow compared to other conferences.

These B12 refs are so afraid of missing a call and being downgraded that they are calling things that are very, very touchy.

I mean the stats speak for themselves, considering over half of the Big 12 is in the Top 40 in most penalized teams.

The most glaring example were the two intentional grounding passes on Saturday. Sheffield's was much worse than Lee's, yet it Lee gets the call for it and Sheffield does not. That call has to go both ways in that situation.