Pelini's behavior

One lopsided loss, and everyone is going apesh*t...

The game plan wasn't good going into TT, the execution wasn't there, and guess what, we lost.

This has turned into a pissing match of people who like Bo, and those who don't, plain and simple. We're 4-2, and there are plenty of teams that wish they had that record.

Do we have a QB and RB issue? Possibly, but you need to work that out during a game, making adjustments on the fly.

This entire asinine discussion would be hilarious if it didn't seem like so many people were taking it so seriously.

Let's get one thing straight. These media people LOVE the fact that Bo is crass, hotheaded, and yes, 'boorish'. They may tell you as they take their silk gloves off over a freshly poured cup of tea that they're being mistreated ("Oh, I dare say, what is the world coming to? Quite a row he had with those zebra's, eh? And now I have to suffer!")

bullsh#t.

In the same moment that Barf sits at his computer scribbling embarrassed nothings about Bo's demeanor, his quivering jowls are dripping beneath a jagged-tooth grin. This is great press. Free column. It'll sell like hotcakes. Bo's a wildman. He's unstable. Somebody get the number for a good anger management therapist.

Now let's move on to this 'face of the organization' argument. Two years ago I couldn't click a link without hearing some reporter whine about Callahan's undiminished press conference smile that beamed win, loss, or blowout. Too much coachspeak, they said. He's a professional question dodger. Frankly I'm more comfortable with a man who cusses in his answers. Why? Because a cussing man never lies. Honestly, you people who are bouncing foot to foot in nervous anticipation over how Bo makes you look, what would you prefer? You ask a bulldog competitor how he feels after his offense took a sh#t all over memorial stadium at the exact moment that Nebraska seemed to be leaping forward as a program?

This whole conversation is a complete waste of time. You don't want to get one word answers and snippy replies? How about letting the head man sleep it off and talk to him on Sunday. Whatever the answer is, I as a fan and a paper reader could give two sh#ts and a bag of white rice what the media people feel about their access. The only thing I trust less than a politician is a journalist.

wow......

that is the best post I think I have ever seen on this board.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091019/SPORTS/710199852

I'm sure a lot of people will rip into Barfknecht, but I thought it was a good column.

Tom and Frank never acted like that...!!!!!

Neither did Bob Devaney, who could get very hot-headed on the field and in the locker room, but knew how to be your favorite Irish uncle with the press.

Frankly I like a coach who swears and gets pissed off. And the questions they have to answer are often asinine and obvious. But part of the job is being the face of the franchise and that requires some PR instincts. Bo Pelini is learning on the job. I think he'll be okay.

Still......kinda funny being on a fan site where people parse every Husker word and action into dust, then pretend they don't care what the media has to say.

Opinions are cheap, but beat reporters know more than we do. Whether you like it or not.

Bo don't do the TEAM any favors by riding the refs so much...you have to pick your battles, otherwise your looked upon as a whiner and complainer, and they turn a deaf ear to you, even when your right.

good post, Bo is over the top right now....for the most part, his coaches are missing the discipline, it isn't the refs, not all the time, that's for damn sure.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091019/SPORTS/710199852

I'm sure a lot of people will rip into Barfknecht, but I thought it was a good column.

Tom and Frank never acted like that...!!!!!

Neither did Bob Devaney, who could get very hot-headed on the field and in the locker room, but knew how to be your favorite Irish uncle with the press.

Frankly I like a coach who swears and gets pissed off. And the questions they have to answer are often asinine and obvious. But part of the job is being the face of the franchise and that requires some PR instincts. Bo Pelini is learning on the job. I think he'll be okay.

Still......kinda funny being on a fan site where people parse every Husker word and action into dust, then pretend they don't care what the media has to say.

Opinions are cheap, but beat reporters know more than we do. Whether you like it or not.

To and devaney would give some really good post game interviews sprinkled with humor. But if you give the press noithing to write about they write about your rude comments and problems with the refs and the offense or your abrupt press conference. So, set the table with your press conferrence. Then, you can influence the stuff they write about and quotes the next day.

This entire asinine discussion would be hilarious if it didn't seem like so many people were taking it so seriously.

Let's get one thing straight. These media people LOVE the fact that Bo is crass, hotheaded, and yes, 'boorish'. They may tell you as they take their silk gloves off over a freshly poured cup of tea that they're being mistreated ("Oh, I dare say, what is the world coming to? Quite a row he had with those zebra's, eh? And now I have to suffer!")

bullsh#t.

In the same moment that Barf sits at his computer scribbling embarrassed nothings about Bo's demeanor, his quivering jowls are dripping beneath a jagged-tooth grin. This is great press. Free column. It'll sell like hotcakes. Bo's a wildman. He's unstable. Somebody get the number for a good anger management therapist.

Now let's move on to this 'face of the organization' argument. Two years ago I couldn't click a link without hearing some reporter whine about Callahan's undiminished press conference smile that beamed win, loss, or blowout. Too much coachspeak, they said. He's a professional question dodger. Frankly I'm more comfortable with a man who cusses in his answers. Why? Because a cussing man never lies. Honestly, you people who are bouncing foot to foot in nervous anticipation over how Bo makes you look, what would you prefer? You ask a bulldog competitor how he feels after his offense took a sh#t all over memorial stadium at the exact moment that Nebraska seemed to be leaping forward as a program?

This whole conversation is a complete waste of time. You don't want to get one word answers and snippy replies? How about letting the head man sleep it off and talk to him on Sunday. Whatever the answer is, I as a fan and a paper reader could give two sh#ts and a bag of white rice what the media people feel about their access. The only thing I trust less than a politician is a journalist.

wow......

that is the best post I think I have ever seen on this board.

This one is better. And more to the point. Sadly, I didn't write it:

Revisionist History?

Commentary: Too late for coaches to play experience, media cards

by Samuel McKewon

October 20, 2009

FILE PHOTO

Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson

So now it's the media. Now it's the fans. So now it's about whether you played college football.

“No one knows what's going on in our meeting and practice room,” Nebraska quarterback Zac Lee said. “Only we know. That's how it is.”

“He feels like the whole state of Nebraska is against him,” head coach Bo Pelini said of Lee. “That would affect anybody.”

“I feel sorry for him tremendously,” competitor Cody Green said. “I wish I could take some of the pain off of him. I just don't want that feeling for anybody, that a whole state would jump on somebody's bandwagon one second, and jump off the next.”

“We won't have a split locker room at all,” Ndamukong Suh said. “I know that's what you guys are looking for, and that's your little thing, you want to see who's going to go for Cody, who's going to go for Zac.”

“Did you play?” offensive coordinator Shawn Watson asked a reporter. “If you did, you would understand what I'm talking about.”

The comments and sentiment seemed designed to rally around Lee, whom Pelini and Watson – not the fans, not the media – yanked twice from a 31-10 loss to Texas Tech.

But this is a team overreacting, frankly, to a situation that happens just about everywhere. Fans boo. The media speculates. You think this is potentially divisive? Head back to 1995, when arguably the best team in college football history was split to the core over Brook Berringer and Tommie Frazier. Head back to 1997, when Scott Frost received a chorus of boos with a 13-2 starting record. Head back to 1999, when Eric Crouch left the program for a couple hours.

It. Happens.

Nebraska's response Tuesday was to take pity on Lee, and re-frame his performance – indeed the whole offense – as part of a great rebuilding/development process. Watson actually talked about how much it hurt to lose Lydon Murtha, Matt Slauson and Jaivorio Burkes in the offseason. He hasn't uttered those first two names since last spring.

Now, suddenly, Lee's “logging time” at the quarterback position, making up for lost reps he didn't get last year because Patrick Witt was the backup. Huh? A month ago, after a dazzling performance vs. Arkansas State, Watson called Lee “lights out, a cool customer.” Two weeks ago, after a 27-12 win over Missouri, Watson said “this is the moment we've been waiting for.”

Tuesday, when a reporter rightly pointed out that Lee is not a new player in the system – he's been at Nebraska for two years now – Watson touched off this exchange:

“But they're playing for the first time. You don't get it. Did you play?”

Not at this level, the reporter responded.

“OK. Well, if you did, you would understand what I'm talking about. It takes time to develop those things. It just doesn't come natural.”

Watson's trying to set the boundaries for his authority and leadership, which is fine. He's taken his share of shots across the bow in the last two weeks; he's allowed to dish a few out.

But his argument doesn't jibe, especially when Nebraska is considering starting Green, an 18-year-old who's admittedly become a “new quarterback” in the last month.

“I'm not going to lie, all I wanted to do is run,” Green said. “If I get in the game, just give me the ball, tell them get out of the way, I just want to take off running. Now I've learned how to manage an offense, when to take chances and when not to. Learn how to be a complete quarterback.”

Reporters tend to read into media performances too much. Joe Dailey, for example. But Green is smooth, assured, and smart for such a young player.

“I'll always tell Coach Watson just let me get hit one time,” Green said. “Whenever I get in, just let me run the ball, let me run right into somebody, let them try to break me, and then the butterflies will be gone, all that, and I'll be focused in. With the run, if I get in there, and we get the called play for me to run, I'm pretty sure y'all be able to see my smile from the press box.”

That kind of spirit is infectious.

Lee can have it, too. His smile after getting thwacked on an option play at Missouri said a lot about him. But that confidence was missing Tuesday. Lee's still the starter, technically, and although he wouldn't be my choice for Saturday vs. Iowa State, he's going to get every chance, I sense, to hold on to his job.

Curiously, he didn't own his mistakes vs. Texas Tech. Or, at least, he didn't own them in a way that suggested he played out of the ordinary.

“That's your opinion,” Lee said. “I didn't necessarily feel like that. There were some decisions that maybe looking back weren't the best decision. There were two or three of those, which is every game. For whatever reason, we didn't have breakout plays. That's kind of the black and white of it. We didn't have plays we needed to make. And I'm the guy up front. That's just how it is.”

The “black and white of it” is that Lee didn't push the ball downfield to open receivers, and he didn't run for first downs that were available to him.

I'm surprised Lee didn't dimiss Pelini's “whole state of Nebraska” comment out of hand, especially when Lee claimed he didn't even hear the boos, most of which were aimed at the referees anyway.

The comment simply isn't true anyway. After practice Monday, some kids milled around Memorial Stadium, and asked to take a picture with Lee. Were they against him? Of course not.

And while Lee is able to articulate that, he did not Tuesday.

“It's not easy, being in this state and being in this situation,” Lee said. “It is what it is.”

True. It's also a job a lot of kids would kill to have for 12 seconds. Would Lee?

Did the folks sticking up for Bo’s tantrums stick up for Billy C for his throat slash or when he got angry and called OU fans F’n Hillbillies? <_< Or were there different standards during those times? Just wondering. :dunno

When you get F'ed, you get angry. If you don't, then you get trampled. You have to state your case and put your foot down at some point

As far as “if you don’t get angry and put your foot down you are going to get trampled” stuff, how did not getting angry at bad calls from Officials work for Dr. Tom? He got screwed plenty by the boys in stripes and he never looked like an angry wife-beater afterwards.

Yes, I did support Callahan. At that point I thought that the "F'ing hillbillies" comment was a sign of Callahan buying into the Nebraska way of life. Turns out it wasn't as he turned out to be a major arse and waste of time, but I supported that statement, because in my experience it's true.

Also, Dr. Tom didn't need to argue calls. He seldom was even close enough for calls to matter. In the '93 championship vs. FSU, he did get jobbed and did not get mad. That's because Dr. Tom, for one, is the greatest coach ever to take a breath, and two, he never got mad. According to Scott Frost, you know Dr. Tom is pissed when he throws in a "Dag Gummit!" Some people are more prone to anger than others, but that does not mean that Bo is a bad coach.

Whoever that recruit was that someone mentioned, the one who removed Nebraska from their list after Bo's protest, doesn't deserve to come anywhere near a NU uniform outside of getting beaten down by the men wearing them.

Did the folks sticking up for Bo’s tantrums stick up for Billy C for his throat slash or when he got angry and called OU fans F’n Hillbillies? <_< Or were there different standards during those times? Just wondering. :dunno

When you get F'ed, you get angry. If you don't, then you get trampled. You have to state your case and put your foot down at some point

As far as “if you don’t get angry and put your foot down you are going to get trampled” stuff, how did not getting angry at bad calls from Officials work for Dr. Tom? He got screwed plenty by the boys in stripes and he never looked like an angry wife-beater afterwards.

Yes, I did support Callahan. At that point I thought that the "F'ing hillbillies" comment was a sign of Callahan buying into the Nebraska way of life. Turns out it wasn't as he turned out to be a major arse and waste of time, but I supported that statement, because in my experience it's true.

Also, Dr. Tom didn't need to argue calls. He seldom was even close enough for calls to matter. In the '93 championship vs. FSU, he did get jobbed and did not get mad. That's because Dr. Tom, for one, is the greatest coach ever to take a breath, and two, he never got mad. According to Scott Frost, you know Dr. Tom is pissed when he throws in a "Dag Gummit!" Some people are more prone to anger than others, but that does not mean that Bo is a bad coach.

Whoever that recruit was that someone mentioned, the one who removed Nebraska from their list after Bo's protest, doesn't deserve to come anywhere near a NU uniform outside of getting beaten down by the men wearing them.

Good post BTW but I believe the person that said that was actually a Missouri troll...:facepalm: