Why Cody Green Should Start

Enhance

Green isn't close to being ready. He didn't play well against TT as some are blind to because he completed one TD pass. Did you see his INT? Did you see the other one that should have been an INT? Did you see how he stairs down the reciever? Did you see some of his passes sail deep?

Did you see when he admitted he only knew 16 plays. That was only 2 weeks ago. Osbourns Playbook was almost 200 pages, I am sure Watsons is much more. Texas had nearly 400 pages when they ran their version of the WCO. I would venture to say Green probably knows 20 to 25 plays max by now. That is plays (Not Pages).

Green is Athletic and has a strong arm. But he isn't ready to start in the Big XII.

Does anyone in our Offense appear to be ready to start in the Big XII?

Annnd

Don't most of the plays take up more than a page?

They do in my coloring books :dumdum

P.S. "exectly" is not a word. It's "exactly." :)

Exectly.

:34 in he says "He has to remember ALL the plays"

Green only knew 16 two weeks ago. He might know 25 max by now but doubtful. They have atleast 200 plays and mostly closer to 300+

If we narrow it down to the plays that actually work...Maybe all he needs to learn is four or five.. <_<

(j/k..All of the plays should work if everyone does his job).

Part of me wants to throw in the towell on this season and go ahead and put Green in for the game experience to get him ready for next season..and barring injury, that might be the best thing for us.

But I'm also concerned about our (Watson's?) Offensive philosophy towards the QB position.

Supposedly, Lee is almost as athletic as Green, yet it appears someone is telling him not to run at ANY cost.

Do we want to put the same hinderence on Cody?

If we put in a freshman like Green, we might lose to a team like Peru State.

Those of us that understand football agree.

WE JUST LOST TO IOWA ST. And that should not have happened, PERIOD!!! I do know football farelly well and many teams have started a freshman before and have done fine. (Tommie Frazier anyone?) I am not saying Green may be the next Tommie, but to think we could be worse on offense. :LOLtartar

A Frazier led NU team also lost to ISU when they never should have. Nice point. :clap

Dude, you are arguing just to argue!!! A Tommie Frazier led team also gave a spark to VERY bad offense under Mike (I have tape on my facemask) Grant. A Tommie (freshman) Frazier led offense also beat a highly ranked Colorado team, a game I was at, (tied with us for eight in the polls) and a decent and ranked Kansas team. As a matter of fact, they had three very solid victories before the loss to Iowa St. One could say because of those wins, they took the Cyclones for granted. Then beat Oklahoma and won the Big Eight title and then lossed to a very good Florida St. team in the Orange Bowl( 27-14 I believe). So you point falls very flat when you look at the whole picture. :box

This offense can't get any worse and yes it is not all of Lee's fault, but as we saw in the 92 season, it is amazing what a change in ONE (good leadership) player can do.

Here is the last thing you deserve tonight. Get the paper on the porch tomorrow morning and keep it out of the bushes.

I am going to get a warning for this, but dude, GROW UP!!! We can agree to disagree and that is all we are doing so CHILL OUT!!!. I haven't attacked you before in anyway, all I was doing is giving opinions based on what I see. You apperantly can't handle that if they don't agree with yours, sorry. I noticed you didn't answer anything I brought up in the post though? That's telling isn't it. It's all good and again we can agree to disagree and still love our HUSKERS.

You shouldn't get a warning as I started it. I apologised for my post before you posted yours. When it comes to warnings and bannishment, if the comments are made at me I should be the one that says yay (sp?) or nay since it/ they was/ were directed at me. Rest assured - I will never run to the mods whining about comments directed at me.

My wife just asked if everyone is OK. She hates football, I know, how did that happen? Opposites attracked I guess. She wanted to make sure no one has commited suicide yet or gone off the deep end. :) NO, I told her, the board is just in meltdown AGAIN!!!

She sounds like a good woman. Hang on to her.

My wife has already rolled her eyes 2,000 times and is now in bed.

Throwing 80% of his completions to quick WR screens and 5-7 yard curl routes doesn't make Lee good. To be a decent QB at just about any college level, you have to be able to progress through reads. This is absolutely crucial. Lee may be able to do this in practice, but not in games. That's the number one reason he needs to be done.

"Well, I have a cousin who plays for the Huskers, and he says that Green is ready to start... See how that works." :sarcasm

I think your superiority complex on a Husker forum is beyond laughable. Whether you have a nephew playing there or in the know sources doesn't mean I care one way or another about your opinion... or that of a supposed family member. You have no credibility... as I don't. But, honestly, I don't claim too.

I am in the general consensus that a shake up of the offense may be a good thing. It's not going to hurt us anymore than this extremely embarrassing performance against ISU. And using Green's performance against TT isn't even fair. He came into a huge deficit, felt the pressure, and made some mistakes. But how do you know how he would handle starting a game from the beginning?! If we lose, it would be no different than Lee leading the team. And although Lee was far from the only one at fault for our most recent loss, I don't think he seems like a good leader...

Cody Green needs to be given the keys to the offense. The play calling today was geared towards getting a lot of completions(ran more bubble screens and hitches then I have ever seen from Neb). Zac Lee did nothing extraordinary at all. He made one play (the long throw to Paul down the sideline). Cody Green can do everything Lee has been doing and possibly make more plays with his feet.

We also ran a lot of zone reads. Cody fits that perfectly... I just don't understand why he isn't playing. I think Bo is trying to be to good of a guy to Lee and not have him shoulder the inefficiency of our offense so far. I do not put this loss on Lee at all, but something needs to change. We have got to give Cody a chance in the Baylor game.. in his home state no less.

Bo needs to have a meeting with Lee and explain that he's not putting the loss on his shoulders but that a change needs to be made. Its college football.. and we've got a freshman that we think can provide a spark. Its nothing personal but keep your head up and work hard because its still a competition that he can come win back and you just never know with injuries.

I don't know if Pelini is trying to be a good guy, being stubborn, or trying to save some semblance of team unity. A lot of debates have been flying around about not risking injury to Green and having him play next year, breaking team morale, and not viewing a QB position as interchangeable position since they are the team leader. I have always felt that he was giving Green a "shot" to light a fire under Lee. Although, that really isn't happening. Lee did play better against ISU, but it was below mediocre from Lee and the entire offense throughout the whole game. No one seems to be on the same page. And the way the ISU defense picked them apart... I can't even imagine what they will look like against OU defense. A lot of teams have played back-up QBs, but it was always due to an injury. And I think that's the only way Bo would give Green a chance.

I'm totally in favor of them starting Green. Let's see what he is capable of doing. At this point, it wouldn't hurt anything. But I don't see it happening.

Don't want this to come off as an attack on ShamWow but come on man.. Lee is the perfect example of a practice player... and apparently your nephew must see that. Lee is light years better in practice then in a game. I have seen this in football throughout my life at the Qb position. I think this point is clearly backed up from everything that I have heard from the locker room and have seen on the field. The Sun-belt teams were not much more then a glorified 1 on 1 scrimmage with the Qb live.

However I see Green as a gamer... and I think the guys are starting to see that. Its college football.. everyones jobs on the line and if he don't perform time to ride the pine.. Time to give Green a shot to see how he handles it.

The only reason why Green doesn't start against Baylor is that Pelini is trying to protect him with the Oklahoma game looming. If thats his reason then there is some merit but there is no way ShamWow or anyone can convince me that Zac Lee deserves to be still be starting at a BCS program...

Also, ShamWow... your insanity comment, sam keller ring a bell.. we tried sticking with him and riding it out and made a change and look what happened.. a GAMER aka Joe Ganz arose.. if you can't see the similarity your blind

First post since todays loss for me. I figure some of you might have read this thread title and come in here to blast away at the topic, but here me out before you do so.

This has nothing to do with Lee's playing making ability, his mental state, etc.

This has nothing to do with Watson or the staff.

This has everything to do with finding a player who can bring a spark to the offense, finding a guy who can break things open with his arm and his legs, and finding a guy who can put this team on his shoulders and carry them to victory.

This team is severely lacking leadership. This team is lacking a Joe Ganz, a Nate Swift, or what have you. They are lacking a guy who is willing to go out there, make plays, sacrifice themselves, and get a victory. Coaching can only take you so far. You need somebody out there on the field that can pick this team up and get them to win.

Zac Lee, while he played solid for most of the game save three interceptions, did not have what it took to get this team rolling in crunch time. His players didn't have faith it what was going on, and we ended up continually turning the ball over.

We need that "it" guy on the field, and right now there sure as hell isn't one out there.

Agreed.

The time to start Lee was this week and we blew it. The stadium would have been energized. There isn't a leader on offense and Green being a qb probably has leadership ability. He may know 25 plays he may know 250, he just needs to execute what he knows. I didn't see the ISU quarterback doing anything but zone read, handoff or throw a quick out. Green doesn't have to execute the myriad of possibilities the WCO supposedly possesses. So, he turns it over (only a possibility). So what. You decide he is ineffective and you put Lee back in. So Lee misses out on a few series. It's not like we would score 21 in the 3 possessions he might miss. Maybe Lee is a different guy coming in as a backup. We had the possibility of answering 2 questions today, about our qb's, and answered none. Can you start Green now? Maybe so, but it is going to be tougher for him now.