Why Cody Green Should Start

Enhance

If these morons can't catch a ball that hits them in the numbers, there's no point in trying to have a passing game.

Therefore, we concentrate on the run-in which Green should handle much better than Lee. If that doesn't show any hope after a couple game, well....screw it-let Suh play QB.

F%^k that noise, keep Suh at DT. We need him for the defense

Watson can learn something from ISU's super conservative offense. Lot's of zone reads and the occasional play action off of it. With Green in and a strategy similar to this, we could actually sustain drives and get a few points on the board. We don't need to bring out 1/10th on our playbook in order to actually score 15-20 points per game with Green at QB. Let him make plays with the zone read, give him some easy strikes off the play-action, and we can win games. It's not that difficult to conceive.

Stat of the day:

Lee's longest run in 43 carries: 17 yards

Green's longest run in 8 carries: 49 yards

P.S. "exectly" is not a word. It's "exactly." :)

Exectly.

:34 in he says "He has to remember ALL the plays"

Green only knew 16 two weeks ago. He might know 25 max by now but doubtful. They have atleast 200 plays and mostly closer to 300+

Green admitted in an interview last week that he knew roughly 260-270 plays out of the 320 in the play book.

I posted this in another thread, but it might have more relevance here.

For all of you who are saying that changing quarterbacks wont improve the offense as a whole, think again.

While it is true that our oline might be bad, recievers cant catch, and the running backs cant produce, adding the element of cody green makes it way more difficult for the defense to zone in on any one thing.

With green, a zone read, all of a sudden becomes a gameplan. Of course our backs cant produce on those type of runs because the defense doesnt have to give lee any respect in running, because their DT could run him down. Green will make the defense respect them with his feet out of that type of play. Therefore the defense has to worry about both players. From that comes a play action pass, which our recievers will be more open, hence easier throws for cody.

I honestly think with some well thought out coaching and gameplanning that this offense could torch it up with only throwing the ball 15 times a game, with cody at qb that is.

I know hes not god, but the simple aspect that the kid CAN RUN(fast) might be all we need. I know that wont fix us fundamentally, fumbles, and so on. But my god with our defense that type of offense will score enough points to put a W on the board. Mark it down.

I dont want to get all of you butthurt with this comment, but take a look at the dolphins offense. In a sense its what you will get with cody at QB, only that you wont have to sub in someone who can throw.

I think this thread is drifting a bit.

It's not so much about Lee being "more ready" to play than Green. The truth of the matter is that this team looks unfocused, unwilling, sloppy, and down right dejected when they are playing offense. Their attitude reminds me of the defensive attitude of 2007. This team cannot continue to play like this. They need to find a play maker. Even if CG makes mistakes, he is still the better runner of the two and could do things with his feet. Obviously rotating our receivers didn't help and neither did rotating out running backs.

People may remember that the first game Tommie Frazier ever started in, we lost. That was a pretty big argument for why CG shouldn't have started yesterday. Well guess what, WE LOST, with a guy who has been in the system much longer and has been playing some form of college football much longer.

Our defense is keeping us in every single one of these games. At some point, this offense needs to take the pressure off the defense and do something for themselves consistently. Right now, the current personnel are given one excuse after another i.e. bad weather, Zac Lee sucks, o-line sucks, WR's suck, we turn the ball over too much, etc. What can playing CG hurt at this point?

Exectly.

Green only knew 16 two weeks ago. He might know 25 max by now but doubtful. They have atleast 200 plays and mostly closer to 300+

Green admitted in an interview last week that he knew roughly 260-270 plays out of the 320 in the play book.

You know you keep saying that, but how many plays is Watson going to make him run? Are the recievers going to be able to catch the ball? Once Cody Green does run and uses his feet, is the defense going to creep up and keep him contain and force him to make bad throws that get intercepted?

This is kinda sad, that the only reason i want to see Cody Green play is so people can stop complaining. I see it as a win/win situation for me. If Green starts and wins, then im happy because the Huskers won. But if he fails and loses, then im happy because he wasn't the spark everyone thought was missing. So i guess we will see what happens.

Our defense is keeping us in every single one of these games. At some point, this offense needs to take the pressure off the defense and do something for themselves consistently. Right now, the current personnel are given one excuse after another i.e. bad weather, Zac Lee sucks, o-line sucks, WR's suck, we turn the ball over too much, etc. What can playing CG hurt at this point?

Sometimes change for the sake of change is the right thing to do. This offense has a problem with its head, with its psyche. How else do you explain the Bermuda Triangle type turnovers? I see people posting about how Green can "energize" this offense, well I don't know about Green per se, but a change at QB can help change the way this offense thinks about itself. A couple of positive plays on a drive, maybe Cody runs for 30 yards, guys are cheering on the sideline, the demons of the last two weeks begin to be exorcised. Care needs to be taken, though, to not go the other way, as CG needs experience throwing the ball. A couple of interceptions and it's right back to the same pattern.

We also need to be careful not to expect the same type of success we had when Keller got hurt and Joey came in. But with this defense, we don't have to have that type of offensive production. Just protect the ball and get a few scores.

Exectly.

You know you keep saying that, but how many plays is Watson going to make him run? Are the recievers going to be able to catch the ball? Once Cody Green does run and uses his feet, is the defense going to creep up and keep him contain and force him to make bad throws that get intercepted?

This is kinda sad, that the only reason i want to see Cody Green play is so people can stop complaining. I see it as a win/win situation for me. If Green starts and wins, then im happy because the Huskers won. But if he fails and loses, then im happy because he wasn't the spark everyone thought was missing. So i guess we will see what happens.

I never said anything about Wats calling all of those plays for CG, or that CG can run all of those plays effectively.

The poster I commented on said that CG knew at max 25, when CG himself said he knows roughly 260-270. I was merely pointing out the inadequacies in his post.

The problem is that this team needs something, and that something isn't out on the field. I'm not saying CG is the end all be all answer, but at this point it doesn't hurt to try him out.

I posted this in another thread, but it might have more relevance here.

For all of you who are saying that changing quarterbacks wont improve the offense as a whole, think again.

While it is true that our oline might be bad, recievers cant catch, and the running backs cant produce, adding the element of cody green makes it way more difficult for the defense to zone in on any one thing.

With green, a zone read, all of a sudden becomes a gameplan. Of course our backs cant produce on those type of runs because the defense doesnt have to give lee any respect in running, because their DT could run him down. Green will make the defense respect them with his feet out of that type of play. Therefore the defense has to worry about both players. From that comes a play action pass, which our recievers will be more open, hence easier throws for cody.

I honestly think with some well thought out coaching and gameplanning that this offense could torch it up with only throwing the ball 15 times a game, with cody at qb that is.

I know hes not god, but the simple aspect that the kid CAN RUN(fast) might be all we need. I know that wont fix us fundamentally, fumbles, and so on. But my god with our defense that type of offense will score enough points to put a W on the board. Mark it down.

I dont want to get all of you butthurt with this comment, but take a look at the dolphins offense. In a sense its what you will get with cody at QB, only that you wont have to sub in someone who can throw.

I like this post.

ISU's back up quarterback Tiller was not a very good runner, but he was still able to chunk out fairly good gains every once in awhile. Given the little PT we have seen from Green, he could have run those plays a lot more effectively.

The age old idea that the coaches' opinions are infallible is completely laughable. Coaches have been wrong millions of times before. Sure, the coaches see every practice while the fans do not. But the coaches can often get tunnel vision, and have a hard time stepping outside to look at the situation from a wider angle. This is a classic example in my opinion. Pelini and/or Watson have convinced themselves that Zac is doing an alright job, when in fact just about anyone paying attention sees him as one of the worst QBs in the conference.

Also, to pretend that knowing 300 plays is doing anything to help out Zac Lee's productivity at this point is completely silly. Look at every pass Zac Lee completed yesterday. Most of them are very simple, quick passes that require no reads. A decent QB can step in with 15-20 simple plays and score more points than Zac Lee. Cody Green could certainly be that guy, and even with limited game experience, Green appears more comfortable than Lee standing in the pocket and firing downfield. Not to mention the argument repeated ad nauseam that Green makes the zone read play ten times more dangerous.

To genuinely believe Lee is the best we can do this year is to concede to us basically being among the bottom-feeders of the conference. I'm certainly not ready to do that. The Big 12 is very average this year outside of Austin, and there isn't one team on our schedule we aren't capable of beating. No one will know how well Green can be until we put him out there in an undecided game and find out. As has been said 1000 times, we can't do much worse than Lee. This isn't a national title season, and at this point we aren't even the front runners in the god-awful North division of the conference. Therefore we are risking extremely little by trying out Green against Baylor.

The age old idea that the coaches' opinions are infallible is completely laughable. Coaches have been wrong millions of times before. Sure, the coaches see every practice while the fans do not. But the coaches can often get tunnel vision, and have a hard time stepping outside to look at the situation from a wider angle. This is a classic example in my opinion. Pelini and/or Watson have convinced themselves that Zac is doing an alright job, when in fact just about anyone paying attention sees him as one of the worst QBs in the conference.

Also, to pretend that knowing 300 plays is doing anything to help out Zac Lee's productivity at this point is completely silly. Look at every pass Zac Lee completed yesterday. Most of them are very simple, quick passes that require no reads. A decent QB can step in with 15-20 simple plays and score more points than Zac Lee. Cody Green could certainly be that guy, and even with limited game experience, Green appears more comfortable than Lee standing in the pocket and firing downfield. Not to mention the argument repeated ad nauseam that Green makes the zone read play ten times more dangerous.

To genuinely believe Lee is the best we can do this year is to concede to us basically being among the bottom-feeders of the conference. I'm certainly not ready to do that. The Big 12 is very average this year outside of Austin, and there isn't one team on our schedule we aren't capable of beating. No one will know how well Green can be until we put him out there in an undecided game and find out. As has been said 1000 times, we can't do much worse than Lee. This isn't a national title season, and at this point we aren't even the front runners in the god-awful North division of the conference. Therefore we are risking extremely little by trying out Green against Baylor.

I totally agree with you.