My Last Word to All You Lee Bashers and Watson Haters

Callahan's four-year record was 27-22 with Watson as the OC, with three of those wins coming against opponents in the division formerly known as I-AA. He was 15-18 against the Big 12, 0-7 against top 10 opponents and 3-10 against the Top 25. He was 0-17 in games in which the Huskers trailed at halftime. This is the top notch play calling that we had before and the fabulous halftime adjustments that got us an 0 and 17 record when trailing at the half. We had dropped balls, more fundamental errors and penalties than I've ever seen in Nebraska football and why are we surprised that we are still seeing the same behavior. It's hard for me to understand the Watson lovers. I have nothing personal against the guy except his performance record at Nebraska. I was hoping he would change and his poor performance was because of Callahan, but it hasn't happened and we're still making the same mistakes with the same panic type of play calling where you throw when you're behind because you have no running confidence. (Think 7 throws with no receptions in the Iowa State game) who calls like that?

I was born into the Osborne years, had an uncle who was defensive captain, and a family who will never give up their season tickets. When I grew up watching Husker football we won over 80 percent of our games. We never gave up because we new that Coach O would make halftime adjustments and we would flat outplay and outheart our opponents because we had a coach who believed in the fundamentals and we didn't make many stupid mistakes. We held onto the ball and ran it down their throats. We commanded the clock. We had confidence and were hated because of it. We weren't flashy, which pissed the media off. But, you couldn't deny that we won games and were not fun to play against.

Now here we are without that confidence on Offense. We've got it on D and we owe that to Coach P. What we need is someone to re-instill the fundamentals in our O and bring back Nebraska toughness, confidence, and RESPECT!!

GBR!!

Shawn Watson was BC's OC for one season, 2007. Even then he didn't call plays, Callahan did. I understand frustration with Watson, but lets at least argue with facts.

Callahan's four-year record was 27-22 with Watson as the OC, with three of those wins coming against opponents in the division formerly known as I-AA. He was 15-18 against the Big 12, 0-7 against top 10 opponents and 3-10 against the Top 25. He was 0-17 in games in which the Huskers trailed at halftime. This is the top notch play calling that we had before and the fabulous halftime adjustments that got us an 0 and 17 record when trailing at the half. We had dropped balls, more fundamental errors and penalties than I've ever seen in Nebraska football and why are we surprised that we are still seeing the same behavior. It's hard for me to understand the Watson lovers. I have nothing personal against the guy except his performance record at Nebraska. I was hoping he would change and his poor performance was because of Callahan, but it hasn't happened and we're still making the same mistakes with the same panic type of play calling where you throw when you're behind because you have no running confidence. (Think 7 throws with no receptions in the Iowa State game) who calls like that?

I was born into the Osborne years, had an uncle who was defensive captain, and a family who will never give up their season tickets. When I grew up watching Husker football we won over 80 percent of our games. We never gave up because we new that Coach O would make halftime adjustments and we would flat outplay and outheart our opponents because we had a coach who believed in the fundamentals and we didn't make many stupid mistakes. We held onto the ball and ran it down their throats. We commanded the clock. We had confidence and were hated because of it. We weren't flashy, which pissed the media off. But, you couldn't deny that we won games and were not fun to play against.

Now here we are without that confidence on Offense. We've got it on D and we owe that to Coach P. What we need is someone to re-instill the fundamentals in our O and bring back Nebraska toughness, confidence, and RESPECT!!

GBR!!

Shawn Watson was BC's OC for one season, 2007. Even then he didn't call plays, Callahan did. I understand frustration with Watson, but lets at least argue with facts.

He called like 1/2 of a game against Texas A&M, then Callahan took back over.

Things havent been great. I'll still support the Huskers win or lose. Coaches & players - they are all trying the best they can. Sometimes the other team outplays you, makes better decisions, or their team effort outperforms you. I'm looking forward to Satruday. The Huskers will be okay.

Go Huskers

GBR!!

You're right. My bad. :blink: That's why I shouldn't post when I haven't had any sleep. I was just saying that I'm still seeing the same type of play calling where you drive the ball, it works well, then you decide to pass the rest of the game because you get down a couple points. That's how Callahan did it and it still seems to be that way. I am run biased though.

GBR!!

You're right. My bad. :blink: That's why I shouldn't post when I haven't had any sleep. I was just saying that I'm still seeing the same type of play calling where you drive the ball, it works well, then you decide to pass the rest of the game because you get down a couple points. That's how Callahan did it and it still seems to be that way. I am run biased though.

Not trying to be a dick on that post, believe me. I agree whole-heartedly with you. Why we have to try to "outsmart" the opposition when we are clearly superior athletically baffles me.

I think Watson was trying different things because he was trying to get the ball into different players hands to see if they could hang on to the ball. I wish he would have tried the double tight formation and the use of a fullback again, but we'd already coughed it up once doing that. The only outsmarting he was trying to do was himself trying to convince himself other players wouldn't turn the ball over.

And even in Callahan's last days, there were fans who would follow him to their death because he was the coach of the program.

IMO, thx Shawn Watson for what you did, but it is time to move on. :nutz

But he is responsible for bringing in “The Man, The Myth, The Legend, The Player of the Century, He will Mess with Texas” Cody Green.

IMO: If Watson didn’t have Callahan ties people wouldn’t hate him as much as they.

... didn't cally's staff bring in the man, the monster!

Suh

truly a great player.

And even in Callahan's last days, there were fans who would follow him to their death because he was the coach of the program.

IMO, thx Shawn Watson for what you did, but it is time to move on. :nutz

But he is responsible for bringing in “The Man, The Myth, The Legend, The Player of the Century, He will Mess with Texas” Cody Green.

IMO: If Watson didn’t have Callahan ties people wouldn’t hate him as much as they.

How about what he did to Colorado as proof? :dunno Seems like he did enough damage there to warrant a tepid liking to him now.

How about what he did to Colorado as proof? :dunno Seems like he did enough damage there to warrant a tepid liking to him now.

What is that help them win 4 North titles (2001, 2002, 2004, 2005) in 7 years and 1 Big 12 title (2001)? All 4 of those North titles came with him as OC. From 2001 to 2006 the teams that he was on staff of made 5 appearances in the conference championship game. I don't know but that appears to be pretty decent. :dunno

Watson's been calling poorly since the Callahan years. This isn't anything new.

I almost felt bad for you boys when Watson jumped over to NU. He is a great OC as long as his talent is far superior to his opponents. He also tends to get a bit predictable, not to mention stubborn. Sometimes it almost seemed as if he wanted to prove something, up to and past the point of it being detrimental to the teams performance.

I'm not here to troll, and I think we can enjoy eachother's different perspectives on two programs that are going through some rough times. I would give ANYTHING to have CU and NU beating the s h * t outta each other for the North again....but then wouldn't we all. :hmmph

What is that help them win 4 North titles (2001, 2002, 2004, 2005) in 7 years and 1 Big 12 title (2001)? All 4 of those North titles came with him as OC. From 2001 to 2006 the teams that he was on staff of made 5 appearances in the conference championship game. I don't know but that appears to be pretty decent. :dunno

Watson was Barnett's towel boy. IMO Barnett had a heavy hand in the play calling. We also had a mammoth O-line and some pretty damn good RBs through those years. Not to mention the North was s h * t from '02 - '06. But hey, I was stoked for those North rings...

Things havent been great. I'll still support the Huskers win or lose. Coaches & players - they are all trying the best they can. Sometimes the other team outplays you, makes better decisions, or their team effort outperforms you. I'm looking forward to Satruday. The Huskers will be okay.

Go Huskers

I'm more upset about the way we lost that game than the actual loss itself. Even if you blame 8 turnovers on bad luck & not on the offensive coaching staff, the kind of lackluster offensive performance that couldnt post 1 field goal in the 2nd half against Iowa State's ever stingy defense has become a theme in the last few games & its clear that something needs to be changed. IMO this West Coast Bulls#it combined with Watson's playcalling is clearly not working & its obvious something needs to be changed

Edited by AngryHusker88

Watson was Barnett's towel boy. IMO Barnett had a heavy hand in the play calling. We also had a mammoth O-line and some pretty damn good RBs through those years. Not to mention the North was s h * t from '02 - '06. But hey, I was stoked for those North rings...

Welcome to the board Ben...that is what I recall too. I talked to quite a few Colorado fans and they all said they were happy to see Watson leave. Barnett was a heck of a coach and IMO he is why you guys had success. Watson is stubborn and is too complex for his own good. That works when you are in the NFL, but you have much less time with college kids to make your system work. Just makes me wonder why so many Husker fans are so high on Watson when he has the same problems now like he did at Colorado. I.E.- redzone trouble. I hope Bo pulls his head out and starts working on the offense and he finally gives Watson a short, short leash to work on. Colorado was not successful because of Watson like Newearthhusker seems to think.

Welcome to the board Ben...that is what I recall too. I talked to quite a few Colorado fans and they all said they were happy to see Watson leave. Barnett was a heck of a coach and IMO he is why you guys had success. Watson is stubborn and is too complex for his own good. That works when you are in the NFL, but you have much less time with college kids to make your system work. Just makes me wonder why so many Husker fans are so high on Watson when he has the same problems now like he did at Colorado. I.E.- redzone trouble. I hope Bo pulls his head out and starts working on the offense and he finally gives Watson a short, short leash to work on. Colorado was not successful because of Watson like Newearthhusker seems to think.

Thanks Trucker. Watson IMO is not a good OC. He is stubborn, egotistical, and predictable. I was not sad to see him leave. Barnett was good in that he beat the teams he was supposed to beat. The other side of that is we almost ALWAYS lost to the teams we were supposed to lose to (minus a few here and there, especially in '01). BUT the biggest difference I see is that Barnett put FIRE into our locker room. Hawkins and his zen buddhist crap can GTFO of Boulder asap. I'm good friends with a bunch of guys that played for both of them and every single one of them said they thought Hawkins was all talk - hence his nickname, Dan Talkins aka Squawkins, aka Coach Squawk. Hawkins is a terrible, terrible coach and I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy, not even NU!

But, back to the point at hand. I don't think Watson deserves to be OC at a school like NU. He only got away with it somewhat at Boulder because we had some great O-lines and tremendous RBs, and Barnett did a lot of the play calling. If you put Watson up against a team with similar talent, he is not going to out coach them. Simple as that.

Get over it already - IT IS JUST A GAME!!!

Seriously? You think nebraska football is just a game? Millions and millions of dollars invested. Coaches who are payed in seven digits, millions of fans across the country, hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars at stake during each game, and the pride and passion of an entire state...and you think its just a game!?

The NFL is probably a game too huh? Even though its "professional". It is a game yes...but its not JUST a game. Its business. If it wasn't economically viable, no one would do it, just the sad facts. Husker football is more than a game.

Just saying.