New commit...

No offense to the young man, but we need 4 and 5-star recruits. If you want to be a mediocre team, recruit mediocre players. If you want to be competing for a national championship, you gotta get the top echelon players. A prime example is Nick Saban at Alabama. Look at what he's done in just 2 years in Tuscaloosa, using top-tier recruiting. Saban wouldn't have even given this kid a look.

Would that be the same Alabama team that was beaten convincingly by a Utah squad of 2 and 3 stars?

No offense to the young man, but we need 4 and 5-star recruits. If you want to be a mediocre team, recruit mediocre players. If you want to be competing for a national championship, you gotta get the top echelon players. A prime example is Nick Saban at Alabama. Look at what he's done in just 2 years in Tuscaloosa, using top-tier recruiting. Saban wouldn't have even given this kid a look.

Would that be the same Alabama team that was beaten convincingly by a Utah squad of 2 and 3 stars?

yep, and the same Alabama team currently ranked #1. doing a hell of a lot better than our Huskers.

no, no, no... many still do not get it.

This kid is a late bloomer. They haven't analyzed him yet...

He comes from a winning program in Cali, one which is in a very good conference. The reason we offered him so early is because we knew about him before many other programs. Check his stats, he can play ball against decent competition, and he hasn't even bloomed. He will get some shiny stars. don't worry.

We are still looking at 1 more receiver which is most likely going to be a bigger name.

yep, and the same Alabama team currently ranked #1. doing a hell of a lot better than our Huskers.

Sorry. There is nothing you can do to convince me that Alabama is currently #1 because of how many stars the recruits had. Saban, as much as I dislike him, is one hell of a coach.

Sorry. There is nothing you can do to convince me that Alabama is currently #1 because of how many stars the recruits had. Saban, as much as I dislike him, is one hell of a coach.

oh, so the fact that Alabama is loaded with top-notch talent at almost every position has nothing to do with the fact that they are #1? that makes sense. so according to your logic, send Saban to some perennial doormat that can only bag 1 and 2 star recruits and he turns them into a contender for the national championship based solely on his coaching. that makes sense.

oh, so the fact that Alabama is loaded with top-notch talent at almost every position has nothing to do with the fact that they are #1? that makes sense. so according to your logic, send Saban to some perennial doormat that can only bag 1 and 2 star recruits and he turns them into a contender for the national championship based solely on his coaching. that makes sense.

Oh, by your logic give Kevin Cosgrove top-notch talent at every position and he will have the best defense in the country. It cuts both ways.

Coaching is just as important as recruiting . . . there's a reason why the Heisman isn't just awarded to 5 star recruits . . . and there is a reason why Texas and USC aren't playing in the national title game every year. Recruiting only gets you so far. It's part of the puzzle.

Plus, it's well documented that recruits get bumped up in rating (stars, number, etc.) when they commit to "big time" programs like Alabama and USC. A guy that might be a 3 star who commits to KU is bumped to a 4 star if he commits to Bama. (It even happens here to some extent).

You sound like an angry 19 year old. Apologies if you are.

Oh, by your logic give Kevin Cosgrove top-notch talent at every position and he will have the best defense in the country. It cuts both ways.

Coaching is just as important as recruiting . . . there's a reason why the Heisman isn't just awarded to 5 star recruits . . . and there is a reason why Texas and USC aren't playing in the national title game every year. Recruiting only gets you so far. It's part of the puzzle.

Plus, it's well documented that recruits get bumped up in rating (stars, number, etc.) when they commit to "big time" programs like Alabama and USC. A guy that might be a 3 star who commits to KU is bumped to a 4 star if he commits to Bama. (It even happens here to some extent).

i'm pretty sure a D full of top-notch talent at every position would be one of the best in the country, regardless of the coach. so no, it does not cut both ways.

i'm pretty sure a D full of top-notch talent at every position would be one of the best in the country, regardless of the coach. so no, it does not cut both ways.

I would have to completely disagree with that statement. I have seen top notch talent under bad coaching. It wasn't anything near being the best in the country.

That's fine if you think that. You'd be wrong. These kids are raw talent out of high school. They aren't NFL players who know the tricks and schemes and bust their butts all on their own. They need coaching.

Anyways. Enough of the threadjacking. Welcome Mr. Enuwa. Glad to have you.

I would have to completely disagree with that statement. I have seen top notch talent under bad coaching. It wasn't anything near being the best in the country.

Examples, Illinois and Zook. Florida St over the past few years, Notre Dame.

How about the Miami Dolphins? They had top notch talent, I know this because it is the NFL. They had a terrible coach. Bring in a good coach, now they are good. Denver Broncos are terrible last year, one of the worst defenses in the league, bring in a new coaching staff....best defense and maybe best team in the league.

Weird how that works.

You're right, though. Coaching doesn't matter, only players. That's why the recruiting coordinator makes $100 grand and the head coach makes $2 million.

It's both coaching and recruiting. You can't coach up a team of un-athletic people and expect them to compete. But you can't have a group of bluechip players and expect them to succeed off that alone. You have to have both. I think I'd lean toward coaching a little more, because you have seen what really good coaches can do with lesser talent - upsets happen all the time. Either way, I want both here at Nebraska.

• 2 weeks later...

wooow, yeah Tom osborne always had 5 stars across the board that right there is why we won, didnt have to do anything with the ability to find diamonds in the rough and coach them up or the desire or heart. :sarcasm