Niles Paul article

Article up on LJS, great article, I hope NP gets it turned around next week.

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2009/10/27...26255109119.txt

“Every athlete has a point where there’s a slump, there’s no sunshine, there’s darkness,” Paul said.

“I’m just trying to find my sunshine.”

And now his infamous fumble that Paul said he caused himself by trying to do too much.

Despite his struggles, Paul is still the player Gilmore wants to lead the receivers.

“I want some of those other ones to follow him and emulate the game in the toughness department, blocking. And he’s made plays on the ball,” Gilmore said.

“His heart’s in the right place. I love his heart, I love his competitiveness. We’ve just got to pay attention to the fundamentals. Regardless of how talented you are, that can creep up and get you, and that’s happened with him.”

Paul knocked the ball loose with his knee or thigh near the 10-yard line. The ball could’ve easily scooted out of bounds. Instead, it caromed back toward the field of play, where Iowa State’s James Smith recovered in the end zone.

“I still don’t know how it happened, but it did,” Paul said. “All I can say is I tried to give that extra effort to get in the end zone, just to make a play for the offense.

“Things went bad.”

And now his infamous fumble that Paul said he caused himself by trying to do too much.

We ARE asking a lot. To ask a 20- or 21-year old kid to perform an insurmountable task such as holding onto the football until AFTER crossing the goal line is just taking things too far. He's just a college kid.

We ARE asking a lot. To ask a 20- or 21-year old kid to perform an insurmountable task such as holding onto the football until AFTER crossing the goal line is just taking things too far. He's just a college kid.

No kidding, it was the one time I prayed that a sure touchdown HAD stepped out of bounds.

I'm starting to think that our O players are developing a psychological issue out of this, and that they are too high strung and actually trying so hard that they are losing their cool and focus. You can play beserk mode and get away with it on defense sometimes, but especially at the "skill" positions it will get you in trouble.

Niles Paul has gotten enough chances. It's time to see if any of the younger players can do something. This guy makes an idiotic mistake in every single game that costs the Huskers points.

I'm also tired of hearing Ted Gilmore talk about blocking all the time. At this point, it seems like the best thing the wide receivers can do for the running game is CATCH THE DAMN BALL and be an actual threat that the defense has to respect. Defenses want NU to pass, because the results are often laughable.

I'm also tired of hearing Ted Gilmore talk about blocking all the time.

What I find most bizarre about this is, running isn't the majority of our game. In our last three games we've passed 56% of our plays. If we're so concerned about run-blocking WRs, THEN RUN THE BALL MORE.

If the majority of your offensive snaps are pass attempts, plan for that and have your best pass-catching guys in.

Did you forget to hit this: :sarcasm ?

I mean we ask 18 year olds on a daily basis to risk their lives over in the Middle East. I don't think its too much to ask a 20 to 21 year old man to hold onto the football or even catching the damn thing. I helped coach junior high football a couple of seasons. We expected 12 and 13 year olds to hold onto the ball.

Did you forget to hit this: :sarcasm ?

I mean we ask 18 year olds on a daily basis to risk their lives over in the Middle East. I don't think its too much to ask a 20 to 21 year old man to hold onto the football or even catching the damn thing. I helped coach junior high football a couple of seasons. We expected 12 and 13 year olds to hold onto the ball.

I don't think they did. I mean, it is pretty difficult to catch a ball, especially when it's thrown right at you.

I'm also tired of hearing Ted Gilmore talk about blocking all the time.

What I find most bizarre about this is, running isn't the majority of our game. In our last three games we've passed 56% of our plays. If we're so concerned about run-blocking WRs, THEN RUN THE BALL MORE.

If the majority of your offensive snaps are pass attempts, plan for that and have your best pass-catching guys in.

I agree with you both. Should be hearing them constantly preaching running routes, catching, coming to the ball, and running after the catch. The WCO worked well in San Fran b/c that's what Rice and Taylor did on those short routes. Not blocking. Sure it would be good if it were the days when we had wingbacks and split ends. But we have true recievers and not Ross Pilkingtons, Grant Mulkeys and Ron LeFlores. They should really ease up on the blocking part of it.