Before my time...

Stu

I played for Mizzou in 83. They weren't just fast and quick but really, really strong. You guys pretty much invented weight training for football up there. Boyd Epely. Our strength coach, at the time, was from Nebraska. Dave Redding, used to play DE up there and was an asst under Epely.

I recall getting steam rolled a few times in that game. I was a 'bandit', I just recall thinking at the time, how the hell can those linemen get upfield so damn fast. Those were some bad boys. When they got to you, they weren't about playing around either, they would knock your d!ck in the dirt and do it with malice. I haven't seen that from Nebraska in a long while. Their offense played like your defense does now. Good times.

82-83 NU came within a few inches and a few seconds of being 25-0 with 2 NCs. Wish the Huskers would run an offense like that again. For some reason even some NU fans think all NU did was run the ball with the option all the time.

IMO the best offenses and QB NU ever had.

'95 defense wins hands down over the '83 defense.

But here's a funny little stat worth considering:

The 1983 Cornhuskers attempted 4 field goals.....the entire season.

I don't know what the record is for least field goals attempted, but in this case it was the mark of a team that just went down and scored touchdowns.

('95 team attempted 16 field goals)

How many punts?

And where are you getting these wonderful stats?

I'd even say that the '82 Offense was a little better than the '95 Offense..But I'm a little biased <_<

I'm taking tomorrow off as I recover from this mess of a cold/flu I've contracted, so maybe I'll go position-by-position and see what I think. It'll be a good way to kill a boring day amongst the coughing and broth-drinking.

I'd love to see those stats compared. The more I hear about this 83 team, the more it makes me feel like less of a Husker fan for knowing so little about them.

And 4 FG's for the entire season? That is an unbelievable number, truly amazing.

I'd even say that the '82 Offense was a little better than the '95 Offense..But I'm a little biased <_<

I'm taking tomorrow off as I recover from this mess of a cold/flu I've contracted, so maybe I'll go position-by-position and see what I think. It'll be a good way to kill a boring day amongst the coughing and broth-drinking.

Great idea :thumbs Post the lineups in this thread :horns2

Hope you get to feeling better.

:yeah

I'm going over some of the match ups in my head and I can't decide although I'm only going off video from the 83 team

A little evidence for the 95 team although it does show some defense in this video

If you actualy look and see what Nebraska had on the o line in 94 and if they didn't have to go through all the Frazier bloodclot stuff. I would'nt be ashamed and put them up against the 95 team. Remember most of the O-line from 95 were backups. The only extra person on the 95 team was Ahman (which is saying a lot) chuckleshuffle

and I wasn't kididng about the Barry Sanders thing, Im only 21. I don't even remember him in the pro's let alone what year he graduated college. I think as a young guy I should still get points know it was sometime in the 80's and we were the only team tot beat them that year.(Idk if that was just big 12 or the entire year though.)

as another 'old guy', I love the chat about this era (my college days)... can't tell you how many games were simply 'over' sometime in the first quarter. ...and Minnesota; Jeezus, playing 3rd teamers and calling audibles INTO the strength of the defense, to keep the score down. NEB - 84 MN - 13

isn't this the team (83), where Joe Paterno said our first team should be ranked #1, and our second team should be ranked #2...

btw, we're still talking Big 8 here...

and I wasn't kididng about the Barry Sanders thing, Im only 21. I don't even remember him in the pro's let alone what year he graduated college. I think as a young guy I should still get points know it was sometime in the 80's and we were the only team tot beat them that year.(Idk if that was just big 12 or the entire year though.)

The Big 12 in the 80's?

Stats available on HuskerPedia under "stats"

'83 Huskers punted 36 times in 12 games.

'95 Huskers punted 29 times in 11 games.

'04 Huskers punted 64 times in 11 games.

'09 Huskers punted 32 times in 7 games. (so far)

Maybe not as interesting as the field goal stat.

We don't need to punt this year.

We just give the ball to them instead. <_<