Suh- what is appropriate?

treeeman

Do you really not understand what 'zero tolerance' means?

It doesn't mean the players aren't allowed to drink.

It means there is zero tolerance towards behavior that includes going out, getting drunk, and doing something stupid. Which is not the case here.

If Suh blew over, he would, at minimum, be suspended from the team.

Do you really not understand what 'zero tolerance' means?

It doesn't mean the players aren't allowed to drink.

It means there is zero tolerance towards behavior that includes going out, getting drunk, and doing something stupid. Which is not the case here.

If Suh blew over, he would, at minimum, be suspended from the team.

I know what ZERO TOLERANCE means.

I am asking, who or what is the source of this zero tolerance on alcohol policy?

You should probably be saying that one can be charged with a dui. Theres no way you're gonna be convicted. As far as the State v. Batts precedent, no lawyer worth his salt is going to allow their client to be convicted based on the word of one cop.

I think that's what i've been saying all along, was that he COULD have been charged. Obviously it happened at some point, or else the precedent wouldn't be there.

Maybe. But there is no way he is going to get a DUI blowing a .035 regardless. Admit you're wrong and the thread can move on.

Not wrong, I posted the law, and pointed out that Suh could have been charged under the law. Other people are posting opinions.

Here's the Zero Tolerance thing, do you guys seriously not know how to use Google?

From back in 2008, Suh probably violated the policy, Pelini will handle it internally as always, life will move on. If it were Christiansen or Niles Paul, I would highly doubt that they would play the rest of the year after their earlier violations.

http://www.ketv.com/bigredzone/15566877/detail.html

Pelini said. "I talked with the entire team last night and clearly explained to them that from this point forward, we will have a zero-tolerance policy regarding alcohol and social responsibility. Our players understand the intent of this rule and what we are trying to accomplish. Therefore, any violation will be handled individually as it pertains to the specific circumstance.

"Our players also understand that certain establishments are off limits, and that the policy also pertains to their behavior in other social settings. I made it clear to them that our policy will be strictly enforced.

"Coach Osborne, myself, and our staff are all in agreement that the culture of this program will be one centered on respect, integrity and discipline. We all agree that culture must extend well beyond the football field."

You should probably be saying that one can be charged with a dui. Theres no way you're gonna be convicted. As far as the State v. Batts precedent, no lawyer worth his salt is going to allow their client to be convicted based on the word of one cop.

I think that's what i've been saying all along, was that he COULD have been charged. Obviously it happened at some point, or else the precedent wouldn't be there.

Maybe. But there is no way he is going to get a DUI blowing a .035 regardless. Admit you're wrong and the thread can move on.

Not wrong, I posted the law, and pointed out that Suh could have been charged under the law. Other people are posting opinions.

Here's the Zero Tolerance thing, do you guys seriously not know how to use Google?

From back in 2008, Suh probably violated the policy, Pelini will handle it internally as always, life will move on. If it were Christiansen or Niles Paul, I would highly doubt that they would play the rest of the year after their earlier violations.

Pelini said. "I talked with the entire team last night and clearly explained to them that from this point forward, we will have a zero-tolerance policy regarding alcohol and social responsibility. Our players understand the intent of this rule and what we are trying to accomplish. Therefore, any violation will be handled individually as it pertains to the specific circumstance.

"Our players also understand that certain establishments are off limits, and that the policy also pertains to their behavior in other social settings. I made it clear to them that our policy will be strictly enforced.

"Coach Osborne, myself, and our staff are all in agreement that the culture of this program will be one centered on respect, integrity and discipline. We all agree that culture must extend well beyond the football field."

Exactly, Zero tolereance is zero tolerance, this is a football team rule, not the law that we are talking about.

Suh broke a team rule, like it or not. There has to be some sort of peanalty, or you have to lose respect for Pellini. Would benching him the first quarter of the OU game be severe enough or not? It sucks, but rules are rules.

You are forgetting who said that. This is the same guy who said Helu is "a little banged up" and that Lee had a "minor problem." Helu hasn't been right since Missouri, and Lee had a broken thumb. Bo's words don't always mean what they say.

Further, "we will have a zero-tolerance policy regarding alcohol and social responsibility" do not inherently mean "the team cannot drink." Especially with Bo's track record for public statements, you cannot make that a black-and-white statement. That is a very interpretable statement, and when Suh starts against Oklahoma, we'll all know that Bo's statement doesn't mean "the team cannot drink." Heck - we already know that because Paul has been starting all year.

ON TOP OF THAT, your quote is from 2008, meaning that it could only pertain to THAT team, ie, the 2008 team.

There are about a million ways Bo could answer the question "Why didn't you suspend Suh for this?" You are looking at ONE way, and you are looking at it incorrectly if our past 1.5 seasons with Bo are any guide.

Exactly, Zero tolereance is zero tolerance, this is a football team rule, not the law that we are talking about.

Suh broke a team rule, like it or not. There has to be some sort of peanalty, or you have to lose respect for Pellini. Would benching him the first quarter of the OU game be severe enough or not? It sucks, but rules are rules.

See my post above for several reasons why you're wrong here. ;)

Read your own post.

THE TEAM HAS A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY WITH ALCOHOL AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Meaning, kid gets drunk, and runs from the cops in the dorms, get's ticketed for disturbing the peace, etc, then that is what the zero tolerance policy includes. That doesn't include getting in a god damn car accident when you are COMPLETELY LEGAL TO BE DRIVING.

Players drink in public. If there was a zero tolerance with BAC at any point in time, then they wouldn't be doing that...

Good try, but FAIL.

Ok, so now we have a "sorta zero tolerance" policy

As long as we are all on the same page.

The #1 player on the team breaks team rules, rather than punish the player, we interpet the rules so that he can continue to play?

I'm a big Suh fan, but as a leader on the field, he has to be a leader off the field. I would have more respect for him if got some type of punishment rather than running stairs.

It is a petty offense, it sucks, but rules are rules.

The #1 player on the team breaks team rules, rather than punish the player, we interpet the rules so that he can continue to play?

I'm a big Suh fan, but as a leader on the field, he has to be a leader off the field. I would have more respect for him if got some type of punishment rather than running stairs.

How about you actually read it before you post?

there is no rule that says

"as a member of the university of nebraska football team, i will not consume any alcoholic beverage."

How about you actually read it before you post?

there is no rule that says

"as a member of the university of nebraska football team, i will not consume any alcoholic beverage."

It does talk about respect, integrity and discipline. It talks about alcohol and social responsibility, truth is only the players and Bo knows what it really means. If I had a bet, Suh is running extra, and probably had to apologize to his teamates. If I were Bo, i'd take his blackshirt away and tell him not to do it again. It's just a matter of opinion and a pissing contest after that, but hey, isn't that what message boards are for?

I really think we missed the most important part though, I read back through the police report, car 1 was parked illegally that he hit. If that moron would have parked legally Suh would have cut through the yard, got back to the road and been all good. :thumbs

I'm about the same size as Suh..

I seldom get more than 4 hours sleep per day..A couple swigs of Vicks44 would probably get me over the .035 BAC...

And yes..I do remember how narrow the streets in Lincoln are..I vaguely remember almost scraping both sides of my car at 5:30 AM on the way to work on an icy "J" street.

For all you begging for punnishment..I'd bet if it were left up to Damu..He'd be much harder on himself than anyone else would.

We should all just be thankful he was driving a car. Who knows what kind of damage might have been done if the decided to run down the street!!!

Nov. 2, 2009 1:12pm CST | from olsensm

:clap:laughpound