Watson

For all the people obliterating Shawn Watson, take a step back and think about this:

Last year we were among the top teams in the country in t.o.p. and total offense. We could have easily been 11-2 last year if there were 2 plays that didn't happen.

We did all of that with a QB who rode the metal for 4 years and two white wide receivers who weren't the fastest, strongest, or most physically fit in the football field but made up for it with grit and determination. Not to mention a struggling running game for most of the season.

The running game seems to have been forgotten after clemson and colorado, but there was a lot of controversy last year dealing with whether Marlon Lucky should have been starting all of those games. That really hurt us in a couple of games, playing up to four backs threw off our rhythm a little bit.

Taking all of that into account, we were one helluva offense last year, and most of that was play-calling since we didn't have a lot of studs at the key positions last year. ESPN even ranked Wats in the top ten offensive coordinators in the country by the end of the year.

THAT MUCH SKILL JUST DOESN'T DISAPPEAR OVER ONE YEAR.

There is obviously a problem with the team's ability to execute this year, so although there have been some questionable calls this year, it's not all his fault.

Remember, two plays THIS year and we would have one loss and i bet no one would be questioning him then. (Va Tech and N.Paul)

Just saying. :dunno

For all the people obliterating Shawn Watson, take a step back and think about this:

Last year we were among the top teams in the country in t.o.p. and total offense. We could have easily been 11-2 last year if there were 2 plays that didn't happen.

We did all of that with a QB who rode the metal for 4 years and two white wide receivers who weren't the fastest, strongest, or most physically fit in the football field but made up for it with grit and determination. Not to mention a struggling running game for most of the season.

The running game seems to have been forgotten after clemson and colorado, but there was a lot of controversy last year dealing with whether Marlon Lucky should have been starting all of those games. That really hurt us in a couple of games, playing up to four backs threw off our rhythm a little bit.

Taking all of that into account, we were one helluva offense last year, and most of that was play-calling since we didn't have a lot of studs at the key positions last year. ESPN even ranked Wats in the top ten offensive coordinators in the country by the end of the year.

There is obviously a problem with the team's ability to execute this year, so although there have been some questionable calls this year, it's not all his fault.

Remember, two plays THIS year and we would have one loss and i bet no one would be questioning him then. (Va Tech and N.Paul)

Good post. Food for thought and I am in the camp that wants Watson to go. If I were N. Paul's head coach, that dude would still be running stadium steps after dropping that sure touchdown. Also, he would be carrying the football with him EVERYWERE!!!

Good post. Food for thought and I am in the camp that wants Watson to go. If I were N. Paul's head coach, that dude would still be running stadium steps after dropping that sure touchdown. Also, he would be carrying the football with him EVERYWERE!!!

Agreed, that kid is just such a stud but he also must have a g.p.a of about 1.3

The ISU paul and the MIZZOU paul are polar opposites, but you gotta have both, you can't just choose one. thats the most maddening part.

"THAT MUCH SKILL JUST DOESN'T DISAPPEAR OVER ONE YEAR."

yes, it actually does. you said it yourself, we lost our starting QB and two very, very good WRs. that's a lot of skill that just happened to disappear (aka graduate).

maybe i wasn't clear enough, i meant watson's playcalling ability, not our player's ability. We lost a ton of good players, although arguably more athletic but less experienced players have taken their place.

Saw this on another board, and I thought it was very insightful:

Watson may not have turned into a moron in one season, but he is stubborn and arrogant. For example, there were a lot of things I didn't like about the offense last season. A lot of people were calling for the changes Watson finally made after the Missouri (in 2007) game long before he implemented them last season. He insisted on starting Lucky long after it was clear Helu was the best back. Some of his comments in the media this season have been contradictory and/or outright untrue: that time in a system doesn't matter unless it's in games - and then later going with Lee because of his practice performance. Huh? He also refused to play Green last week for a single play, described Lee's management of the offense as "perfect" and then a week later yanked him for Green. Either Lee's performance wasn't "perfect" or Green won the job in practice...which Watson last week was telling us wasn't that important.

These are the contradictions of a coach not sure of himself and trying to talk his way out of it.

Further, he refuses to call zone reads for Green even though he continually called them for Lee. He has stubbornly called outside zone for two years, even though it never works, and has far too many formation tendencies that casual fans pick up on (so you can bet d-coordinators do). Watson is also a very poor play caller near his own goal line. Think about how many pick-six's (or turnovers that led to turnovers/safeties) his offense has given up since the beginning of 2007 (VaTech, Missouri, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc, etc). He stubbornly insists on calling horizontal routes that risk interception returns for 5-yard gains and is far too quick to give up on the run or rely on the pass.

If Watson's offense can only succeed with a 5th year senior QB and two 5th-year senior receivers, than his offense is worthless because having all three of those elements is rare. Just about any offense will find success with those variables...show me an offense that succeeds when hampered by injuries or inexperience...THAT is good offense.

For example, Cincinatti has been forced to play five QBs in the last two seasons due to injury...and Brian Kelly's offense continues to thrive. Texas Tech was forced to start a kid making his 2nd start in Lincoln and he did okay...and then Leach's offense was good enough to put 42 on Kansas after they lost the *2nd* string QB and was forced to start the 3rd stringer. For that matter, Iowa State was forced to start two backup freshmen in Lincoln at QB and RB and managed to escape with a win.

Those are examples of coaching. Watson needs to leave; an offense that only succeeds with 5th-year senior starters is worthless. Still, I think Nebraska can salvage this season if Watson can just improve the offense to "average"...I think they'll eventually get it done.

And then he needs to leave after the season.

Watson may not have turned into a moron in one season, but he is stubborn and arrogant. For example, there were a lot of things I didn't like about the offense last season. A lot of people were calling for the changes Watson finally made after the Missouri (in 2007) game long before he implemented them last season. He insisted on starting Lucky long after it was clear Helu was the best back. Some of his comments in the media this season have been contradictory and/or outright untrue: that time in a system doesn't matter unless it's in games - and then later going with Lee because of his practice performance. Huh? He also refused to play Green last week for a single play, described Lee's management of the offense as "perfect" and then a week later yanked him for Green. Either Lee's performance wasn't "perfect" or Green won the job in practice...which Watson last week was telling us wasn't that important.

These are the contradictions of a coach not sure of himself and trying to talk his way out of it.

Further, he refuses to call zone reads for Green even though he continually called them for Lee. He has stubbornly called outside zone for two years, even though it never works, and has far too many formation tendencies that casual fans pick up on (so you can bet d-coordinators do). Watson is also a very poor play caller near his own goal line. Think about how many pick-six's (or turnovers that led to turnovers/safeties) his offense has given up since the beginning of 2007 (VaTech, Missouri, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc, etc). He stubbornly insists on calling horizontal routes that risk interception returns for 5-yard gains and is far too quick to give up on the run or rely on the pass.

If Watson's offense can only succeed with a 5th year senior QB and two 5th-year senior receivers, than his offense is worthless because having all three of those elements is rare. Just about any offense will find success with those variables...show me an offense that succeeds when hampered by injuries or inexperience...THAT is good offense.

For example, Cincinatti has been forced to play five QBs in the last two seasons due to injury...and Brian Kelly's offense continues to thrive. Texas Tech was forced to start a kid making his 2nd start in Lincoln and he did okay...and then Leach's offense was good enough to put 42 on Kansas after they lost the *2nd* string QB and was forced to start the 3rd stringer. For that matter, Iowa State was forced to start two backup freshmen in Lincoln at QB and RB and managed to escape with a win.

Those are examples of coaching. Watson needs to leave; an offense that only succeeds with 5th-year senior starters is worthless. Still, I think Nebraska can salvage this season if Watson can just improve the offense to "average"...I think they'll eventually get it done.

I would say that Watson was only saying that to try to boost Lee's morale. Remember he was also captain. I mean, the whole state of Nebraska knew that ISU was his last chance. Coaches do funny things somestimes.

Also, Cincinatti's QB's are all the same for the most part, all drop back passers except for Colaris. Our two main QB's are about as opposite as could be with respect to play-calling for their strengths.

Beautifully said. I have felt all along Watson is way to stubborn for his own good. I have mentioned that before, other D coordinators must be salivating when they look at game film of our offense.

WTF does that mean dude? Thats f@#ked up brah! No matter how you flip it! :wtf:angry:

Last year he did the same crap. We would run with Helu, be successful, he would start running lucky up the middle (lucky was really only good on the outside runs) and then he would abandon the run all together and start throwing 3 and outs with the occasional big play being made that put points on the board. It was waaaaaaayyyy to inconsistent for my liking and he consistently went away from a running game that was working and gave the opposing offense time to score. I'm not just unhappy with Watson for this year, I've never really been happy with the play calling for about the last 6 or 7 years lol.

I agree. Our offense is ridiculous and is set up for failure unless you have the correct personnel and they execute to near perfection every play. There is very little room for error. Time for an offensive change.