Essentials for a Visitor

That Runza thing sounds strange.

It is strange. Just look around you in the stands and you'll see someone eating one. It's hamburger & cabbage in a bread-like crust. It's absolutely nothing to get excited about. God only knows why they're popular here.

Immigrants. My grandparents and great-grandparents, etc. on both sides of my family made/make them pretty often. We just call them cabbage burgers, but it's the same thing. They're seasoned with a lot more than just "salt." :lol:

And I know some of you don't like Runzas, but the Runza Restaurants use USDA Choice beef, which is the second highest grade of beef behind Prime. :thumbs

That Runza thing sounds strange.

It is strange. Just look around you in the stands and you'll see someone eating one. It's hamburger & cabbage in a bread-like crust. It's absolutely nothing to get excited about. God only knows why they're popular here.

Immigrants. My grandparents and great-grandparents, etc. on both sides of my family made/make them pretty often. We just call them cabbage burgers, but it's the same thing. They're seasoned with a lot more than just "salt." :lol:

And I know some of you don't like Runzas, but the Runza Restaurants use USDA Choice beef, which is the second highest grade of beef behind Prime. :thumbs

Everytime I go to Runza I not only get a Cheese Runza but also a double cheeseburger. By far the best fast food burger I have ever come across and I think you will agree. Not thin little patties, but thick hand packed type burgers.

I for one am a big fan of Runza, but growing up in Nebraska can do that to a man.

For those still interested, they can trace their roots to both Germany and Russia. I used to have home-made one's called Bierocks that my grandmother would make. Very tasty for ethnic food if you can get past the looks of the inside.

I'll give a +1 for Bisonwiches for the sandwiches, its a pretty good lunch place.

Misty's is good, but out of the way of the downtown area. If you are drinking, you probably will not want to make the commute.

For the downtown area, Buzzard Billie's is a pretty decent creole restaurant and Old Chicago is your standard bar meets pizza joint.

For bars, just head South of the Stadium until you hit "O" street and then take a left. The bar strip is in the mid teens and has ten or so on each side of the street. No one has mentioned Duffy's, they have $15-20 fishbowls which are a great way to start off the evening.

One word: Runza.

I will be attending my first big red game as well, love the sooner fans. Never a more respectable group of people to talk football with. Where is Runza or what is a runza and where can i find it.

Closest Runza to the stadium is in the Nebraska Union just east and a little south of Memorial Stadium. A 'Runza' is stinky cabbage. cheap meat and a special spice mix (salt), encased in greasy baked dough. Hungry dogs turn up their noses at them and instead go in search of cat droppings.

Once agian i find myself agreeing with a Missouri fan. I am starting to question myself.

Misty's is good, but out of the way of the downtown area. If you are drinking, you probably will not want to make the commute.

There's a Misty's on O st. right across from the Embassy Suites.

Good God, since 2003 no less. Somehow, I have never seen the place despite walking within a block of it for the past 6 years. Guess I need to stop taking just 10th street.

Forgot to mention earlier: Lazlo's has some pretty good Nebraska brewed beers. Third stone brown is quite tasty and can put you one your ass in a hurry.