What do you want to see from the offense in the next 3 games?

carlfense

O-line to do it's job.

a big run from Cody Green (30+ yards)

no more shovel pass- ever.

I'd like to see the plays that make sense for Cody to be ran by Cody and not Zach (and vice versa).

Niles Paul step up and be what we thought he could be.

no false start penalties.

more tight end in the passing game (maybe SOME tight end in the passing game)

20+ points not counting special teams or defensive points.

and if it isn't too much to ask, since I'm gonna be at the game can we hang 60 on Colorado?

Let me preface this with a disclaimer. Watson knows more about football than I ever will. I wish we had a different OC, but I'm not delusional about my own knowledge. Also . . . this isn't so much about what we have in the future . . . more just about what I want to see with the pieces we have to work with in 2009.

The carlfense offense

1. Power running game at least 50% of the time. Power sets, tight ends, fullback, 1 (2 at most) WR split out.

2. 20% of the time hit the tight ends on mid-length play action passes. (in my dream offense, McNeill NEVER leaves the field. Ever.)

3. 10% of the time use change-up runs: counters, traps, etc.

4. 10% of the time bootleg the QB (Lee or Green) out with a tight end and a receiver paralleling him.

5. 5% designed QB runs (only if Green is the QB).

6. 5% shots downfield to the WR's (Paul, Gilleylen, Cooper, etc.)

In particular there would be ZERO:

1. Horizontal passing game/bubble screen.

2. 5 yard out routes.

3. Speed option out of the shotgun.

4. Zac Lee trying to run either an option or a zone read.

5. Trying to turn Cody Green into a pocket passer.

Zero "Horizontal passing game/bubble screen" & "Zac Lee running the option" sounds simply excellent to me. My God SW, surely you can figure that out sooner or later.....

I agree our best bet is the power running game. Give the ball to Helu and maybe the OLine can learn to get mean (hey, six years of fluffball can't be easy to shrug off). Maybe we can even get more than seven 1st downs this Saturday.

Run the ball! Be more physical! Incompletions are basically wasted plays. At least when you run the ball right at 'em you have a chance for yardage. I could also feel better about losing if it was straight up, let's see if you can stop us, football. The only ones confused with our multiplicity is ourselves. I'm also guessing that penalties would be reduced. I imagine most false starts are when O-lineman who are trying to keep an end from getting around them anticipate the snap. Also, less holding calls may result if we are running more.

First...cut back on the penalties. We have enough trouble on offense as it is without constantly being back at 1st or 2nd and 20.

They will have to run a fairly balanced offense if they want success. While I would love to see us successfully line up with the attitude of, "This is what we're going to do, try stopping us," it won't work for this offense. They're simply not capable of consistently executing at the level required for that.

I'd like to see the occasional short pass on first down...play action, slant, drag (if we could block long enough for it), and so on. We need to make good yards on first and second down so that if we need a third down, it's third and short. But that's not going to happen if we don't make the defense respect the pass to some extent, even on first down. If they're consistently getting pressure on us, move the pocket with bootlegs. I'd also like to see us take some shots down field, somewhere between 10 and 20 yards (preferably not at the times when it's 3rd and 15 and the defense knows we have to do that).

Power running for that side of it, but throw in the occasional misdirection if their defense starts to over-pursue.

Yes. Not going deep, like ever, is ridiculous. The offense never scoring if we start from our side of the field (happened twice agains BCS teams this year) should tell the coaches that maybe we should go for broke once in a while. If you chuck it 55 yards in the air it is like a punt. If it is caught, it is at least a 50-50 that it will be our receiver that catches it, as long as they throw it into single coverage. With PI, chances for success go up. Most will fall incomplete, but we are used to that, aren't we. If this sounds to you like the strategy of an inept pee wee team, you're right.

I want to see the Offense get up to the line with a purpose. I hate watching them slowly get the play in, slowly get to the line, casually check over the defense, then try to hurry up and call an audible. Have your play set up, and with very few exceptions don't audible, and go EXECUTE. And do it quickly.

That's about it.

I want to see:

- Improvement

- The o-line dominate by blowing open holes on running plays, and giving the QB(s) time to read then throw.

- Receivers that will get open and CATCH THE BALL

- Another RB or two to step up and take some of the heat off of Helu

- TE's being utilized

- More FB play

- Zero penalties

- Zero turnovers

- At least 350 yards of total offense