Pelini's temper

np_husker

My opinion, based on my experience, is that blowing your top with blow up in your face eventually.

Your anecdotal experience doth not a trend make. My anecdotal experience with jagermeister is that whenever I drink it, I hurl uncontrollably. So nobody should drink jager because it'll make you hurl.

Doesn't work that way.

I don't know what you're doing here but I'm hanging out giving my opinion which (based on anecdotal evidence), which I think is what most people are doing. I cannot give you a research paper with citations at this point. I can see I've struck a nerve with a few people, and, obviously some didn't read all my posts (which I wouldn't expect them to do). To sum up my OPINION:

Calm assertive leadership is the ideal because that is how good decisions are made in the heat of battle. No doubt sometimes a calm assertive leader will lose his temper, that's part of the deal. Problems with motivation and poor performance can be dealt with by "fear" or "anger" after action but it is of little use in the heat of battle because the troops/player are scared, tired, frustrated, or whatever. What they need are clear instructions on how to proceed. If they are not motivated at that point, the leader failed to prepare them correctly. It sounds like some of you have had a good experience with a coach with a short fuse, that's fine I'm not doubting you. In my experience, calm assertive leadership has been much more successful in my life in high pressure situations (football, the USMC, kickboxing, work). Good luck to all.

major difference, sir. The heat of battle as you put it is an actual war. LIVES ARE ON THE LINE. You can't be emotional because bullets will hit you if you dive right into battle.

Football is not a war. Emotion, especially for a defense, is key. I will say what Bo does on the sideline is paltry compared to many across the country. Ever watched Spurrier? Saban? Carroll? Stoops? Meyer? Leach? Nutt? Bobby Knight? Chuck Daly? Pat Riley? Parcels? Switzer? Hell even Paterno in his 80s chews his assistants ass on TV.

I could keep going, but the point is the stoic coach who is successful is the exception, not the norm.

Your anecdotal evidence is completely unrelated because it is from a different world than a football field.

This is a honestly a good point. I've never been anything close to a head coach in college football. I'm only guessing what I think it could be like. That being said, it's no surprise TO is my hero. He got it done without a lot of hair pullling.

B-rad's point is pretty valid. Technically every time you give your opinion you're using anecdotes based on your experiences, feelings, etc. Telling someone that's "just your opinion" is the stupidest argument. No sh#t it's his opinion, that's why he said it.

The difference is that he's saying "It's just my opinion," not me. I disagree with his opinion. It doesn't make his opinion wrong, I just disagree.

We can have differing opinions and still be friends.

This is turning into a semantic discussion, and nobody wants that. :)

My opinion, based on my experience, is that blowing your top with blow up in your face eventually.

Your anecdotal experience doth not a trend make. My anecdotal experience with jagermeister is that whenever I drink it, I hurl uncontrollably. So nobody should drink jager because it'll make you hurl.

Doesn't work that way.

I don't know what you're doing here but I'm hanging out giving my opinion which (based on anecdotal evidence), which I think is what most people are doing. I cannot give you a research paper with citations at this point. I can see I've struck a nerve with a few people, and, obviously some didn't read all my posts (which I wouldn't expect them to do). To sum up my OPINION:

Calm assertive leadership is the ideal because that is how good decisions are made in the heat of battle. No doubt sometimes a calm assertive leader will lose his temper, that's part of the deal. Problems with motivation and poor performance can be dealt with by "fear" or "anger" after action but it is of little use in the heat of battle because the troops/player are scared, tired, frustrated, or whatever. What they need are clear instructions on how to proceed. If they are not motivated at that point, the leader failed to prepare them correctly. It sounds like some of you have had a good experience with a coach with a short fuse, that's fine I'm not doubting you. In my experience, calm assertive leadership has been much more successful in my life in high pressure situations (football, the USMC, kickboxing, work). Good luck to all.

major difference, sir. The heat of battle as you put it is an actual war. LIVES ARE ON THE LINE. You can't be emotional because bullets will hit you if you dive right into battle.

Football is not a war. Emotion, especially for a defense, is key. I will say what Bo does on the sideline is paltry compared to many across the country. Ever watched Spurrier? Saban? Carroll? Stoops? Meyer? Leach? Nutt? Bobby Knight? Chuck Daly? Pat Riley? Parcels? Switzer? Hell even Paterno in his 80s chews his assistants ass on TV.

I could keep going, but the point is the stoic coach who is successful is the exception, not the norm.

Your anecdotal evidence is completely unrelated because it is from a different world than a football field.

This is a honestly a good point. I've never been anything close to a head coach in college football. I'm only guessing what I think it could be like. That being said, it's no surprise TO is my hero. He got it done without a lot of hair pullling.

Tom Osborne also had a degree in psychology.

Sorry dude, I did six years in the Corps so that don't fly with me. Calling out subordinates in front of other subordinates above the non-rate level is a pretty big deal, certainly not something you do on a whim.

I'm speaking along the terms of during bootcamp actually. I know I saw a Senior DI rip into one of his guys when he grabbed a recruit by the throat. That DI was put into his place immediately. I know that isn't common as well of course, but it got his point across. My point was basically that Bo is nothing compared to the coaches and DI I've had in my life. They all express their anger and they all will get their point across in the best way they see fit. Football is nothing like the corps, but there are ways that the DI's get to us as recruits, and Bo does this in his own way. He is nothing compared to a DI and I think we both can attest t that.

I'm sure this won't win me any friends on this board, but...

Pelini's outbursts on the sideline are boorish and serve no purpose. Does he really think making fools of his assistants and players on national TV does anything positive? It doesn't. Come on, you're a highly paid coach at a major college, show some class.

I'm not taking anything away from his coaching and what he has done with the team in the past two seasons. I think he will end up being a great coach, but watch the temper.

Pelini is Italian. End of subject. :)

Pelini's outbursts on the sideline are boorish and serve no purpose. Does he really think making fools of his assistants and players on national TV does anything positive? It doesn't. Come on, you're a highly paid coach at a major college, show some class.

I'm not taking anything away from his coaching and what he has done with the team in the past two seasons. I think he will end up being a great coach, but watch the temper.

oh, thank goodness no-one here has resorted to stereotypes. or sarcasm. that would be HORRIBLE.

Sorry dude, I did six years in the Corps so that don't fly with me. Calling out subordinates in front of other subordinates above the non-rate level is a pretty big deal, certainly not something you do on a whim.

I'm speaking along the terms of during bootcamp actually. I know I saw a Senior DI rip into one of his guys when he grabbed a recruit by the throat. That DI was put into his place immediately. I know that isn't common as well of course, but it got his point across. My point was basically that Bo is nothing compared to the coaches and DI I've had in my life. They all express their anger and they all will get their point across in the best way they see fit. Football is nothing like the corps, but there are ways that the DI's get to us as recruits, and Bo does this in his own way. He is nothing compared to a DI and I think we both can attest t that.

Ha ha, very true, but he would make a great DI if he wanted to go that way! Semper fi by the way, and happy belated b-day.

Yeah, well maybe if old Tom had been a little more like Bo (or Bob Devaney), it wouldn't have taken him so damn long to win his first NC. So there's your flipside argument....

"Wait" you say....."Tom Osborne was his own man." Exactly.......so let Bo be Bo. He'll find his own way just fine.

I like the comparison of Bo to the Bobfather. Both were/are fiery leaders, able to kick butt when needed. Or at least that’s what I’ve heard about Devaney anyway. I can’t personally remember much about him as a coach—just an AD.

oh, thank goodness no-one here has resorted to stereotypes. or sarcasm. that would be HORRIBLE.

My dad and myself are hot tempered with our italian blood. I'm not offended.

what ethnic group is not known for having a temper? it is almost universal.

what ethnic group is not known for having a temper? it is almost universal.

The japanese. :) Seriously it doesn't matter. Just like Nebraska and kansas are considered hick ville and missouri is meth country and california is wacko. If you can't laugh at yourself...

This. Osborne was literally the only one who didn't. Frank did it. Bill did it.

At least I never saw Dr. Tom do it. That is perhaps why some Husker fans are up in arms over this. T.O. was unique. He had a way to motivate and fire up his players without showing much emotion. Tom Landry (and former basketball coach John Wooden) could do the same thing, but I'm sure 99.9 percent of coaches can't. It's very likely that Bob Devaney got into the faces of his assistant coaches. It's part of coaching.

Do his assisstants or players have a huge problem with it? Is he like that all of the time? My guess is he gets into the game, a very competitive enviroment, and he hates to lose. I swear, there are some real cupcakes on this board. When I played ball in high school(I know, long time ago) our coaches were hard asses. We were held responsible for mistakes and yes we got yelled at, OMG. Then I got home and got yelled at by my dad. Then in a couple hours it was over and everyone forgot about it. My coaches back in high school are still people I talk to and consider friends, and I love my dad to death. It's football, it's competitive, and it's not for cupcakes. Other coaches get just as mad as Pelini does but Pelini's face just shows the anger more whereas other coaches can keep it off their faces, but believe me, it still comes out of their mouths. Please toughen up people!!!