Scott Frost's amazing comments in 2005.

Husker1995

The days of having 9 out of 11 starters being from Nebraska are over - if we want to compete on the national level. I think there is still room for Nebraskans being a part of this team, but it will be more limited from here on out, just because Nebraska is not one of the hot beds of talent in the country.

I think what Frost was trying to say is we don't need all of those guys from Texas, Florida, Georgia, or California. That we have the guys here in our state that can do just as good as any of those top recruits if we had the right system and coaching. The coaches we used to have knew how to develop talent, how to coach them, and molded them into men. (Dr. Tom, Mcbride, etc.)

It is nice to have talented guys from other states, but it doesn't necessarily mean you will win games. Take Notre Dame, Michigan right now, Miami, and I am pretty tempted to put Tennessee on that list of schools that have theoretically large amounts of talent, but still can't get to the top.

I am tempted to say that if we had 9 out of 11 starters from Nebraska and the right system that plays into what Nebraska guys are built for...then I bet we could be right back on top even in today's game. Developing players is the most critical element for any team I believe. Talent matters to certain degree, but in the end you have to be able to keep coaching and developing them. And Nebraska isn't a hotbed of talent, because of how many small towns there are in my opinion which the analysts don't go to. I don't care how many stars a guy has...if you have coaches that can develop talent and know how to coach, then you can take a lot of guys to whole other level.

Back when we could take some big corn fed guys and throw them on the line, we may have been able to rely on "talent" from Nebraska. But if you want to be able to play with the best, with as fast as the game has gotten, I don't think you can do that anymore. There is just more population in those other areas, and the emphasis on football is a lot more than it is in Nebraska below the college level. They are also warmer climates, and athletics are more conducive in the warmer climates. The chances of finding the better players are better there.

I also know that you can't always go by the number of stars someone has by their names. We have had our share of people that have gone bust at Nebraska to prove that. It all comes down to coaches doing their homework, knowing the best talent when they see it, and going after it no matter where the kid may reside.

Are you talking about skill positions? I think our skill positions should be out of state guys for the most part. I mean you gotta have speed at WR and you will probably have better success with out of state RB/QB's. I think Lineman, TE's, and FB's from Nebraska can be great players. We have some pretty big kids right in our backyard, but I think they would be best in a less complicated offense and more run blocking type of guys. They might be a bit slower than other guys, but I bet after awhile (with the right conditioning program for them) they would outlast the faster guys on defense and be able to have their way once the defense is wore out.

Defensively though I think you need speed to counter the pass happy offenses we are seeing these days. So that would probably be made up of mostly out of state kids and maybe you get lucky with a few walk-ons or the few higher ranked kids from Nebraska. Just kind of my opinions...I just think we would be all right with Nebraska players who would give everything they have for this program with the right coaches who can get the most out of their players.

The days of having 9 out of 11 starters being from Nebraska are over - if we want to compete on the national level. I think there is still room for Nebraskans being a part of this team, but it will be more limited from here on out, just because Nebraska is not one of the hot beds of talent in the country.

I never understand this thinking.... this was roughly 10 years ago.. how has the world changed so much in a decade that it can't be done again. I'm not saying that we need to field an all-Nebraskan team, but what is the reasoning for thinking this same sort of thing that worked not so long ago can't be done again?

I think what Frost was trying to say is we don't need all of those guys from Texas, Florida, Georgia, or California. That we have the guys here in our state that can do just as good as any of those top recruits if we had the right system and coaching. The coaches we used to have knew how to develop talent, how to coach them, and molded them into men. (Dr. Tom, Mcbride, etc.)

It is nice to have talented guys from other states, but it doesn't necessarily mean you will win games. Take Notre Dame, Michigan right now, Miami, and I am pretty tempted to put Tennessee on that list of schools that have theoretically large amounts of talent, but still can't get to the top.

I am tempted to say that if we had 9 out of 11 starters from Nebraska and the right system that plays into what Nebraska guys are built for...then I bet we could be right back on top even in today's game. Developing players is the most critical element for any team I believe. Talent matters to certain degree, but in the end you have to be able to keep coaching and developing them. And Nebraska isn't a hotbed of talent, because of how many small towns there are in my opinion which the analysts don't go to. I don't care how many stars a guy has...if you have coaches that can develop talent and know how to coach, then you can take a lot of guys to whole other level.

Back when we could take some big corn fed guys and throw them on the line, we may have been able to rely on "talent" from Nebraska. But if you want to be able to play with the best, with as fast as the game has gotten, I don't think you can do that anymore. There is just more population in those other areas, and the emphasis on football is a lot more than it is in Nebraska below the college level. They are also warmer climates, and athletics are more conducive in the warmer climates. The chances of finding the better players are better there.

I also know that you can't always go by the number of stars someone has by their names. We have had our share of people that have gone bust at Nebraska to prove that. It all comes down to coaches doing their homework, knowing the best talent when they see it, and going after it no matter where the kid may reside.

Are you talking about skill positions? I think our skill positions should be out of state guys for the most part. I mean you gotta have speed at WR and you will probably have better success with out of state RB/QB's. I think Lineman, TE's, and FB's from Nebraska can be great players. We have some pretty big kids right in our backyard, but I think they would be best in a less complicated offense and more run blocking type of guys. They might be a bit slower than other guys, but I bet after awhile (with the right conditioning program for them) they would outlast the faster guys on defense and be able to have their way once the defense is wore out.

Defensively though I think you need speed to counter the pass happy offenses we are seeing these days. So that would probably be made up of mostly out of state kids and maybe you get lucky with a few walk-ons or the few higher ranked kids from Nebraska. Just kind of my opinions...I just think we would be all right with Nebraska players who would give everything they have for this program with the right coaches who can get the most out of their players.

I don't think you can even go after all the linemen in state. There is so much speed and size at even that position now. It isn't like it used to be when you could just plug a 300 pounder in on the line and run over everyone you face. I would bet that we will never see a offense or defense that has 9 out of 11 from in state.

I have to agree completely. It is about using what works with Nebraska and that is taking advantage of the fire we have to play hard for our own state. Look at us on these forums, I think some of us have more heart than we see a lot of times on the field.

No doubt Steve Pederson f'd things up, look at the state football schedule for example, what a f'ing retard.

The power run game, worked with Nebraska. It is only a matter of time before we return to it.

"Defensively though I think you need speed to counter the pass happy offenses we are seeing these days. So that would probably be made up of mostly out of state kids and maybe you get lucky with a few walk-ons or the few higher ranked kids from Nebraska. Just kind of my opinions...I just think we would be all right with Nebraska players who would give everything they have for this program with the right coaches who can get the most out of their players."

That is what was cool about the run/option... the offense is a second defense. You beat the sh#t out of the other team, and take forever to score, and eat up clock. Look at Georgia Tech... That sh#t works.

"Defensively though I think you need speed to counter the pass happy offenses we are seeing these days. So that would probably be made up of mostly out of state kids and maybe you get lucky with a few walk-ons or the few higher ranked kids from Nebraska. Just kind of my opinions...I just think we would be all right with Nebraska players who would give everything they have for this program with the right coaches who can get the most out of their players."

That is what was cool about the run/option... the offense is a second defense. You beat the sh#t out of the other team, and take forever to score, and eat up clock. Look at Georgia Tech... That sh#t works.

Who you callin' slow?

Haven't the fastest Huskers historically been from instate?

Ahman Green..Eric Crouch..Todd Brown..Johnny Rodgers..Gale Sayers..oops..Jayhawk

Don Beebe?..Bad example..played for Chadron and Buffalo Bills and raised in Ill.

I've always wondered if Frost could have cut it as a QB at Stanford would he still have come crawling back to Nebraska instead of sticking it out at the place he went to first. (Sorry I still hold it against Frost for dissing NU right out of High School so he could go play for Bill Walsh and try to make it to the NFL instead of going to the school that he "loved" so much)

Yeah, let's hold people to decisions that they made when they were 17 years old for their entire lives. Cripes, he came to NU and helped lead the team to a National Championship, treated his body as a ballistic weapon to secure a win, and played every game all out. Yeah, he definitely needs to have his love for the school and team questioned by you.

It's valuable insight from a former player, although it's important to not lean too much on it. There's a certain amount of "this-is-how-we-used-to-do-it-so-this-is-how-it-should-always-be" to it, and part of it I understand, and part of it I disagree with. They made their legends; now it's time to let a new generation make their own, with maybe a teensy bit less chest-thumping by the granddads.

Any case, Scott's a great Husker QB and I always enjoyed watching him play. He shared a good bit about his experiences here, and I appreciate him for doing so.

I don't agree that Frost hit this as this is how we used to do it therefore how we should be doing it. He went against the grain when he left Nebraska for Stanford. He was coached by a legend and founder of the West Coast Offense. Of any past players, he should have had the most foresight of whether or not it could/would work in Lincoln, NE. Had Walsh stayed at Stanford, Frost would have never returned to Nebraska to play. He was one of the smartest players to ever play at Nebraska.

Haha, not sure I'd like to see Crouch doing some coaching...Frost, that would be nice.

And jeez, knapplc, it's like you've met EVERYONE! Wow.

Frost I could see being a part of coaching staff in a few years......but Crouch? Hes not exactly a member of Mensa :)

Scott Frost is also quietly building one heck of a Coaching Resume. After playing Safety in the Pros for a few years, he started out at Northern Iowa Coaching LB's. He got elevated to Defensive Coordinator after 3 years or so and was the D-Coordinator for the N. IA team that played in the Title Game 2 years ago. He moved on this year to coach WR's at Oregon under new HC Chip Kelly. His past experience playing QB I am sure helps him in this. He is becoming a very well rounded Coach, more so than most, and it seems that he is a good one too just basing on how his career is going. I remember him doing an interview on 1620 just after he got the job at Oregon, he said he was excited for his next step but said someday he would love to end up back at NU. I would love for Scott Frost to be a part of Bo's Staff in the near future. Rumors abound about Ted Gilmore, I would bet that Scott would make a great replacement as WR coach.

I've always wondered if Frost could have cut it as a QB at Stanford would he still have come crawling back to Nebraska instead of sticking it out at the place he went to first. (Sorry I still hold it against Frost for dissing NU right out of High School so he could go play for Bill Walsh and try to make it to the NFL instead of going to the school that he "loved" so much)

Easy answer. No, Frost would have never came crawling back to Lincoln had Walsh stayed the coach at Stanford. I think it was pretty clear Frost was not going to become the QB at Stanford. This is why he was playing defense. Walsh knew he was too good of athlete to ride the pine. Amazing isn't it how even Walsh knew his best place on the football field was in the defensive secondary? If I recall correctly, this is where he ended up playing pro ball. For Frost's NFL career, he would have been better served to stay at Stanford. However, Walsh left and things were in limbo.

IMO, Frost made the best decision when he went to Stanford. He wanted to play professionally as a QB. Who better to teach him than the founder of the WCO? Things don't always work out like we hope. However, Walsh still did have the Super Bowl rings. He knew what players needed to succeed at the next level. This is why he put Frost in the defensive secondary. Had Frost came to Nebraska, he wouldn't have gotten to play until 96' anyway. He would have been a QB only more than likely which would have meant he probably doesn't get drafted or get a chance to play in the NFL.

I'm sure Notre Dame holds it against Urban Meyer that he took the Florida job over his dream job. However, I think he still made the right decision. There will always be things that we'd do in a "perfect" World that we don't do in the "real" World even though the opportunity may present itself. If TO had a pipeline to getting QB's into the NFL, there never would have been any question whether or not Frost comes to play at Nebraska. Frost's NFL career is over. However, look at all the valuable knowledge he's gained for his coaching profession having played under both Walsh and TO.

Yeah, let's hold people to decisions that they made when they were 17 years old for their entire lives. Cripes, he came to NU and helped lead the team to a National Championship, treated his body as a ballistic weapon to secure a win, and played every game all out. Yeah, he definitely needs to have his love for the school and team questioned by you.

I’m sorry but when he comes out and says we need a ton of Nebraska kids because they grow up loving the University and will give their all for it, it seems kind of weird. Considering he was one of, if not the Highest Profile High School player to ever come through this state and he decided to put his personal gain above the University. Sorry but that is exactly what he chose to do. Did he have a change of heart and come back? Sure he did but that was also after the coach that recruited him left and he had a position change. Am I glad he had a came back? Heck yes I am and I applaud the things he did for the University but like I said I still hold it against him that he left in the first place.

Don’t give me the 17 – 18 year old crap. People hold things against a lot of players for choices they made when they were coming out of High School or in College. Josh Freeman, Blaine Gabbert, DeAngelo Evans, Eric Crouch, Harrison Beck, or any player from the University of Miami or Florida State that played in the late 80’s or early 90’s, to name a few.

FWIW: Me holding something against someone means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Easy answer. No, Frost would have never came crawling back to Lincoln had Walsh stayed the coach at Stanford. I think it was pretty clear Frost was not going to become the QB at Stanford. This is why he was playing defense. Walsh knew he was too good of athlete to ride the pine. Amazing isn't it how even Walsh knew his best place on the football field was in the defensive secondary? If I recall correctly, this is where he ended up playing pro ball. For Frost's NFL career, he would have been better served to stay at Stanford. However, Walsh left and things were in limbo.

IMO, Frost made the best decision when he went to Stanford. He wanted to play professionally as a QB. Who better to teach him than the founder of the WCO? Things don't always work out like we hope. However, Walsh still did have the Super Bowl rings. He knew what players needed to succeed at the next level. This is why he put Frost in the defensive secondary. Had Frost came to Nebraska, he wouldn't have gotten to play until 96' anyway. He would have been a QB only more than likely which would have meant he probably doesn't get drafted or get a chance to play in the NFL.

I'm sure Notre Dame holds it against Urban Meyer that he took the Florida job over his dream job. However, I think he still made the right decision. There will always be things that we'd do in a "perfect" World that we don't do in the "real" World even though the opportunity may present itself. If TO had a pipeline to getting QB's into the NFL, there never would have been any question whether or not Frost comes to play at Nebraska. Frost's NFL career is over. However, look at all the valuable knowledge he's gained for his coaching profession having played under both Walsh and TO.

Can't argue with that. Nicely put. :thumbs

That's where an "Offensive identity" can be benneficial..You can structure your highschools to run similar offenses and defenses to help prepare your kids for the next level...or something different if you want to help them get on with what everyone else is running.

I don't think we really need to have a huge population base to be able to compete with the Texas or Fla highschools for producing talent.

Back in the day..We pretty much introduced weight training to the football world and they all caught up to us.

It just takes a commitment from all of us...and some proper traning in health/nutrition and trying to get our kids involved with whatever sport is being played in that particular season.

(My own cousin went to NU on a track scholarship and ended up being a 3year starter in Football and playing in the CFL).

We need to lead with our strengths..(The DESIRE and the "Midwest work ethic") to get our state to start supplying BCS quality talent..It's not like the more populated areas have kids with different DNA or their water is any better than ours...You just need to get them more active and actually have more vacant lots to play "smear the queer" in if you don't have enough kids for two teams.

And another thing!

[ change gear ]

I was watching my young Son play soccer yesterday and couldn't figure out why both teams looked so bad.

Turns out they don't even play soccer at lunch like we used to "back home"..and barely ever do at recess.

They just have one or two hour long practices each week.

Is that occuring all over or just in large metro areas like Phoenix?.

Side note...I do remember coming across some "elite league" Football practices with JR.High age kids out here..I've got mixed feelings about that, though..Too much burnout?

Those are some fond memories, going out after eating lunch to the playground and playing some kick ball or maybe softball or flag football. They probably don't let them do that now days because the academias have taken up the view that there shouldn't be a winner or a loser, because it hurts their self esteem.

No wonder our kids are so damn f'd up now days and sit on the couch playing video games and getting carpal tunnel texting everyone they know about nothing. :hmmph

First of all, you do not want Scott Frost or Eric Crouch anywhere NEAR the teaching of quarterbacks how to pass. Great competitors and leaders, but even as seniors they didn't seem to grasp the basic fundamentals or mechanics of passing. That Frost has become an astute defensive coach suggests Bill Walsh was right.

Keep in mind that while Scott Frost was a small town Nebraskan, his father had played for Devaney/Osborne and his mother was an all-American track star at UNL. If there was a "diss" to the program, it was by a couple savvy parents and UNL sports alums. In fairness to them, when Bill Walsh comes to your kitchen table in Wood River or wherever and offers a scholarship to one of the finest academic universities in the country, your loyalty to your son might weigh heavier than your loyalty to your state.

I think there was also some scuttlebutt that Mr. and Mrs. Frost did not think UNL was giving Scotty enough love and/or had some older slight they held against the athletic department.

And since we have a thread with Bill Walsh in it, might as well point out yet again that the WCO was never a pass-happy offense. It was designed to be a high-percentage offense. And the legion of coaches who went on to adopt and fine-tune the WCO would be perfectly happy to have 200 yard rushing days if that's what's clicking