Mangino threads

stargazer

There were more deets on this stuff in the KC Star this morning. Basically, the guy got personal with kids. Someone's brother had been shot in St. Louis, he used this fact while berating the kid for dropping a pass. I mean, coaches are always yelling at players but c'mon. The stuff Mangino was doing was basically like fraternity hazing. It's one thing to ride a kids butt and say, "I'll run you from here to eternity" but dropping stuff like "you do that again and I'll ship you back to the hood where you'll be the next one shot" is over the line. One kid admitted to some teammates his old man was an alky and Mangino busted that one out as well. He constantly singled guys out in locker....at halftime of games even. I mean, I don't get it, what kind of behavior is this garbage supposed to get out of your guys????? These facts are out there and believe me, NO ONE, is going to want to play for this guy when they start reading these things. Mangino is as good as gone.

You know, if things had gone a different way I really think Callahan could have worked out here, long term, with a lot of success.

Gotta stop ya there....

BC didn't have any sense of the tradition at Nebraska

BC didn't have any respect for the players/coaches that were here before him

BC didn't have respect for himself in keeping his 'posse' on the staff well beyond their stay

BC didn't have the lunchpail attitude to satisfy the fanbase

BC didn't care for the walk-on program

BC didn't coach to win, he coached to 'not get blown out'

BC didn't maximize the potential of his recruits

BC straight up snubbed one of the greatest coaches of all-time

BC was the fifth choice for the HC job, desperation hire

Worse era of NU Football, period.

Hey, I can see that point of view too. But if BC won 10 games in '07, none of that matters. That season was a train wreck but it wasn't because he neglected the walk-on program or because he wasn't the first choice, or because he didn't understand "tradition"...point I was trying to make is it's a bottom line deal. You win and people are happy, you lose and people will point to EVERY single thing you do as evidence that you are fundamentally unqualified for your job, as well as a bad person.

Not to re-open old wounds, but back then I felt BC & co were really getting raw treatment. I'm happy now with Bo & co, though, but seeing what Husker Nation did to those guys...all I can say is, I hope we don't do the same to Bo one day. I think if we exercise some patience and show some commitment to our staff, whoever they are, we can see success. As has often been said on this board, Tom Osborne would have been a fired HC in today's environment. Maybe people just like a good shake-up every few years.

You're right that had he gotten 10 wins and kept moving upwards towards a Big 12 championship, BCS bowl game, top 10, etc, a lot of that would've been swept aside. People would've been saying that maybe we did need to leave the past and move forward. But, some of those things are real problems and were going to prevent him from ever having that kind of success, IMO. Staying with Cosgrove, for example, wasn't a recipe for success.

gee ira what if it was NU not MU that beat hd to hd in rivalry game, the by default number 1 team in the country won their division and played in CC game, lost to the best team in the conference in that game for your second loss, BTW only losses were against OU who had been #1 in country earlier in yr. KU played no top teams and only had the one loss because of easiest schedule in country and didn't win division or play in CC game.

So no, they didn't deserve to go to Orange bowl, by any objective analysis. sweet Lew made a underthe table deal with OB, which they didn't fulfill and were chosen. Is why bowl system is not credible as it isn't about the best competition and we need a NC tournament.

I hope KU keeps the huge one as what top recruit would go play for them now? Either way it is not going to end well for beaker fans.

gee ira what if it was NU not MU that beat hd to hd in rivalry game, the by default number 1 team in the country won their division and played in CC game, lost to the best team in the conference in that game for your second loss, BTW only losses were against OU who had been #1 in country earlier in yr. KU played no top teams and only had the one loss because of easiest schedule in country and didn't win division or play in CC game.

So no, they didn't deserve to go to Orange bowl, by any objective analysis. sweet Lew made a underthe table deal with OB, which they didn't fulfill and were chosen. Is why bowl system is not credible as it isn't about the best competition and we need a NC tournament.

I hope KU keeps the huge one as what top recruit would go play for them now? Either way it is not going to end well for beaker fans.

Missouri is crap.

So the guy is an @$$ to people and he apparently "poked" a player in the chest and had a few choice words for him because he was laughing in practice.

I guess I missed the BFD with this.

They're talking about firing the best football coach Kansas has had in, well, decades.

He made Kansas relevant for the first time in a decade in 2007.

Fire him if he is physically abusive and if his attitude is ruining the team, but don't fire him because he has had one bad season 2 years removed from the best Kansas record ever. It's not like he's coaching at Notre Dame or Florida. It's freaking Kansas. I apologize to any Kansas lurkers, but it isn't exactly a high-profile football job.

Getting to a BCS bowl or even competing for one yearly is not something Kansas will likely ever be able to do. It's simple fact. Mangino is the best coach out there for this team. Fire him, and you either need to find a diamond in the rough or a coach who has been shot down by everybody else.

You fire Mangino, this team won't make it to another BCS bowl game for a decade AT LEAST (unless they hire TG of course ;)).

This post nails it.

The damage is done, he's as good as gone. Lew successful ran this smear campaign against the fat man and is getting what he wants. I for one am disgusted with our AD. I do think he has a coach lined up ready for the spot because Lew isn't the type of guy to pull some stunt like this and not have a plan, here's to hoping we don't get another "I'll be your best friend" Terry Allen. This year has been horrible but it sure as hell beats being 2-10 every year and losing by 50 points all the time.

I know our former AD did not have a back up plan for Solich. Instead we got our former AD's 6th pick. I knew right from the start the pick was not going to work but I did wish for the best. This move by KU is going to hurt the football program for years to come.

Missouri is crap.

your momma <_<

Post from some dude on Phog.net

Was just told by a very good friend in the AD's office that Mangino will announce next week that he is stepping down for health reasons. He will coach through the end of the season, be it the Mizzou game or a bowl game. I was also told that we have a very short list of prospective coaches that we will begin with and that the name heading that list is a coach in the Big East. That is all that he would tell me so deduct what you may from the info.

I know our former AD did not have a back up plan for Solich. Instead we got our former AD's 6th pick. I knew right from the start the pick was not going to work but I did wish for the best. This move by KU is going to hurt the football program for years to come.

I strongly suspect he thought he could snag Urban Meyer at the time. Meyer was clearly looking to move on from Bowling Green, and I think Pederson thought it was a slam dunk to get him - or any other up-and-coming coach - to jump at the job. I think Pederson was honestly shocked when he was turned down. And turned down again, and again, and again. That's what led to that ridiculous desperation move of sending the private jet down to Arkansas, and eventually the hiring of the only man desperate enough for a job to work for an AD that fired a coach after a 9-3 season.

Post from some dude on Phog.net

Was just told by a very good friend in the AD's office that Mangino will announce next week that he is stepping down for health reasons. He will coach through the end of the season, be it the Mizzou game or a bowl game. I was also told that we have a very short list of prospective coaches that we will begin with and that the name heading that list is a coach in the Big East. That is all that he would tell me so deduct what you may from the info.

Yep, sounds right, like I said earlier, Randy Edsall, Perkins hired him once when he was @ UConn, I think he's looking to do it again.