SIGNED LB Lavonte David

We have plenty of young LB's to fill out the depth chart. LD's biggest assistance really is if he can come in and make an immediate impact as a starter or backup. That looked much more promising when we thought he'd be here for spring ball, but much less likely only having fall camp. While getting Lavonte would certainly help, he's not a make-or-break player for us, IMO.

Make no mistake, losing David would be a HUGE blow to this recruiting class. He almost certainly would've been immediately inserted into the starting lineup at a position of need. This really is something we should be concerned about, probably more than Cooper's decision.

I disagree. I don think he can pick up the system that quick..... maybe if he would have graduated at semester and played spring ball. but there is no way he starts the season as a starter unless he is an absolute super star(i'm talking 1st round pick type player)

• Fire 1

We have plenty of young LB's to fill out the depth chart. LD's biggest assistance really is if he can come in and make an immediate impact as a starter or backup. That looked much more promising when we thought he'd be here for spring ball, but much less likely only having fall camp. While getting Lavonte would certainly help, he's not a make-or-break player for us, IMO.

Make no mistake, losing David would be a HUGE blow to this recruiting class. He almost certainly would've been immediately inserted into the starting lineup at a position of need. This really is something we should be concerned about, probably more than Cooper's decision.

I disagree. I don think he can pick up the system that quick..... maybe if he would have graduated at semester and played spring ball. but there is no way he starts the season as a starter unless he is an absolute super star(i'm talking 1st round pick type player)

His coach said in an interview is the best football player he has ever coached. I don't have the exact quote but I can find it. He will be starting or major playing time in my opinion.

His coach said in an interview is the best football player he has ever coached. I don't have the exact quote but I can find it. He will be starting or major playing time in my opinion.

other then Tennessee he didnt get one other major offer. dont get me wrong here... im not saying hes a bad player, but I think to come in an start on pelini defense your first year is tough tough task.

Seems every other coach says that about some player we're recruiting every year. I agree with melscott that he's unlikely to pick things up fast enough to play right away - even if he has awesome talent. I had high hopes for him coming in for spring but that didn't happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see him RS if the young LB's pick it up this spring and fall.

On the other hand, we're thin on experience at LB, so a new guy does have the chance to come in and compete right away. And we can always use more depth, especially at LB this fall.

Seems every other coach says that about some player we're recruiting every year. I agree with melscott that he's unlikely to pick things up fast enough to play right away - even if he has awesome talent. I had high hopes for him coming in for spring but that didn't happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see him RS if the young LB's pick it up this spring and fall.

On the other hand, we're thin on experience at LB, so a new guy does have the chance to come in and compete right away. And we can always use more depth, especially at LB this fall.

This kid wouldnt redshirt. He would play. He would be a Gomes IMO where he hits his stride by Big 12 play. You dont bring in juco kids to RS.

This kid wouldnt redshirt. He would play. He would be a Gomes IMO where he hits his stride by Big 12 play. You dont bring in juco kids to RS.

i agree a rs is unlikely, but we have RS a few jucos lately

Wasn't that the story on Ricky Henry when he first got to Lincoln? I'll admit that a LB is much more likely to play early than an OL, but I'm sure if someone looked, there'd be plenty of JUCO's who used a RS. Keep in mind that picking up the defense and being mentally ready to take the field is different than pure athletic ability.