Lee inaccurate on the long throw

Oldschool

That's two games now where receivers have had to adjust, sometimes unsuccessfully, to Lee's throws. I saw one where he overthrew and the receiver should have stretched out for the ball, but mostly his long throws are under-thrown. Niles Paul made a couple of good plays having to get his body in the way of the defender to get the ball, but if Lee puts a little more loft and distance on these things, our receivers could catch them in-stride and have a chance at a TD instead of a 20-yard gain.

I heard someone say that Lee under-throwing is "intentional", but I don't think that's the case. When a defender is on a fly, the under-thrown ball with a good defender is dangerous, because a good CB or a safety waiting in the shadows will be licking their chops for a pick-six.

That's two games now where receivers have had to adjust, sometimes unsuccessfully, to Lee's throws. I saw one where he overthrew and the receiver should have stretched out for the ball, but mostly his long throws are under-thrown. Niles Paul made a couple of good plays having to get his body in the way of the defender to get the ball, but if Lee puts a little more loft and distance on these things, our receivers could catch them in-stride and have a chance at a TD instead of a 20-yard gain.

I heard someone say that Lee under-throwing is "intentional", but I don't think that's the case. When a defender is on a fly, the under-thrown ball with a good defender is dangerous, because a good CB or a safety waiting in the shadows will be licking their chops for a pick-six.

:facepalm: i was first i win

I agree with you. This is something that I have noticed since the La La game when he underthrew a sure touchdown pass to Curenski. He did it a few times against KU and again against KSU. Needless to say, I miss the Joe Ganz deep ball.

I agree, Lee is not very accurate. He just throws Jump balls, when a good pass would be a touchdown. I am very concerned about the Texas corners and safeties... maybe we should just keep the ball on the ground.

We certainly have not seen the arm the coaches were all giddy about in spring and fall practice (legit 70yd arm my ace) I think the reason we see him check down so often is the simple fact that he doesnt throw a good ball longer than 10-15yds. We really need a QB with a decent arm, i dont know that we have ever had one. Ganz and Taylor were pretty accurate but they didnt have the arm to stretch the field, but then agian we dont have WR's that can stretch the field let alone catch the ball when they get there, so maybe that point is moot.

Honestly, I don't think I agree. I'd like to know what his completion percentage is on passes over 30 yards, I bet it's pretty good. I look at how often he goes deep and they seem to complete a lot of those passes. Look at Paul in the KU game. I think Lee threw to him 5 times and he caught four for 154 with a short reception of like 37 yards or something. I would like to see him throw the ball downfield more.

Honestly, I don't think I agree. I'd like to know what his completion percentage is on passes over 30 yards, I bet it's pretty good. I look at how often he goes deep and they seem to complete a lot of those passes. Look at Paul in the KU game. I think Lee threw to him 5 times and he caught four for 154 with a short reception of like 37 yards or something. I would like to see him throw the ball downfield more.

You're missing the point of the argument, which is that the completions should be touchdowns.

Did you know Osborne used to Coach QB's to underthrow the long ball? If you over throw and get no catch, you waste a down. If you underthrow, you at least pick up the yards, if not the score.

maybe, but they also had the offense to get the ball in the endzone. When this team has a chance to get a touchdown they NEED to get it. Getting the ball to the 5 yard line is no automatic with our offense (see KSU, VT)