Lee inaccurate on the long throw

Oldschool

Specifically during the KU game, every long pass to Niles Paul was a jump-ball. If Niles has the guy by 3 yards, he has to check-up, stop and jump to get that ball. Not necessarily a high-percentage catch (although Niles made it look easily), and with a Safety coming over, a good defender will make that receiver pay by knocking his legs out from under him or blasting him out of bounds. On the other hand, if you place the ball down the field near the sideline, if you overthrow, you just get an incompletion, but you avoid the interception or the risk of getting your receiver torn apart.

I give TO all the respect in the world, but the pass definitely wasn't his bread and butter. If I want advice on the option or smash-mouth football, TO is your man. If you want advice on pocket or play-action passing, you probably want to look elsewhere.

Specifically during the KU game, every long pass to Niles Paul was a jump-ball. If Niles has the guy by 3 yards, he has to check-up, stop and jump to get that ball. Not necessarily a high-percentage catch (although Niles made it look easily), and with a Safety coming over, a good defender will make that receiver pay by knocking his legs out from under him or blasting him out of bounds. On the other hand, if you place the ball down the field near the sideline, if you overthrow, you just get an incompletion, but you avoid the interception or the risk of getting your receiver torn apart.

I give TO all the respect in the world, but the pass definitely wasn't his bread and butter. If I want advice on the option or smash-mouth football, TO is your man. If you want advice on pocket or play-action passing, you probably want to look elsewhere.

Strangely when NU had the greatest passing seasons in their history pre-WCO, TO was the coordinator/head coach. Vince Ferragamo anyone? Didn't he start a Super Bowl? Maybe TO can coach passers?

Please check facts before you post a blanket statement like that.

Strangely when NU had the greatest passing seasons in their history pre-WCO, TO was the coordinator/head coach. Vince Ferragamo anyone? Didn't he start a Super Bowl? Maybe TO can coach passers?

Please check facts before you post a blanket statement like that.

So what if he was an Superbowl starting NFL QB...Mark Rypen was a Superbowl winning QB, and I wouldn't put him down in the top 100 passers in the NFL (make that top 1000 probably). Scott Frost had some magnificent passing drives under center as well, but these guys were born and bred to run the option, and the pass was used to keep defenses honest.

IMHO, there's a ton of HC's or OC's that I would pick over TO if I were going to establish a pass-heavy offense. You may disagree with that, but in my book, TO wasn't known for grooming QB's to be prolific passers.

Underthrow the long ball instead of overthrow the long ball?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Throw the ball as accurately as possible. That's all you ever do.

Anything other than trying to hit your receiver in stride increases the possibility of interception. Besides, an underthrown long ball stands a better chance of getting picked off than an overthrown long ball.

Nebraska had some guys who could pass, but even Dave Humm, who held the single season record for years got surpassed by Joe Dailey.

Did you know Osborne used to Coach QB's to underthrow the long ball? If you over throw and get no catch, you waste a down. If you underthrow, you at least pick up the yards, if not the score.

Seeing his qb's under throw over and over again, I believe he, at least, told them to make sure you don't overthrow the open deep receiver.

As for Lee, I thought the deep ball was his strength. :dunno Not necessarily great at it, but better than his other skills. There is definitely a problem when people think the thing you do best still stinks.

He's the best we have so :dunno . Our linemen are the best we have so :dunno . When Dennard is hurt and we have to play West, he's the best we have so :dunno . I'm not a fan of Lee either but he is the best we have and I seriously doubt he is missing throws just to piss you or I off. Give him credit for working his butt off and trying to get better. I'm sitting here drinking a beer wishing he'd get better! I doubt he's sitting around drinking a beer wishing I'd get better. Good luck with that!!