Jason Peter and the Spread are done

I know that Double Nickel has forgotten more about how to be a defensive lineman than I can and will ever know, but let's be honest, he's probably forgotten A LOT. He was a junkie after all.

What do you consider a "junkie"?

Maybe I missed this one

His drug addiction is not news. He battled for most of his adult life.

Jason would be an awesome Defensive Line Coach.

Being loud, in your face and telling stories from the glory years is exactly how not to motivate this generation of student athletes. Jason Peter if he wanted to could become a great coach, but let him climb the ladder like he insist everyone else do. Try Division III first or even high school.

During the Callafraud "Error" it was an ok show at best. Now that NU is on the turn upwards, it has become a really bad show.

Now - if 1620 (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) would strengthen their signal so we can listen to their program(s) all up to our cabin in the spring and summer, I will be a happier man.

You hit the nail on the head. They made their bones off the Callafraud "Error" and when the team turned their fortunes around, the show lost its cash cow. During that time as with Perrault, the Husker haters helped boost their ratings big time, because they had a place to take joy in the Huskers demise.

This is the fickle business that is radio. You are only good as your last Armitron rating, and there is no such thing as loyalty or job security no matter what your pedigree is.

I would like to see Peter and Zatescka(sp?) do a weekend show critiquing Husker Football, whether it be on TV or radio. I really like Rob's take on things when he's on Sports Soundoff. Maybe Peter could replace Husker hater Travis Justice.

Refer to my signature as reference this man does not know the college game. He had not been back to Nebraska game until his job and book came out. Even during the Solich years, you can go listen to tapes of the show. I listen to him everyday. Everyone's response will be, well why did you listen to the show so much if you thought he was such as idiot, this is because Jeff Wilkerson was the brains of that show, that kid will be radio/broadcasting for the rest of his life. Jason gave him BS all the time for this and that and sometimes it was downright rude. The Double Idiot was a great football PLAYER, not commentator and will never be a coach. How many times can you listen to a man "who knows the game" repeatedly not know the rules and not know Husker history. My father and I would repeated have conversations about historic games that were referenced incorrectly, even about Tommie Frazier. (Peter tried to compared Green and Frazier while failing to mention we were embarrassed at Iowa State Fraziers freshman year.) Am I glad a man lost his job? Absolutely not, but could I see this coming, in a heart beat. I am sorry the guy DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE RULES. Suh is a great player and he would critique him for everything, "If they kept tackles records the way they did now I probably would have had about 400," give me a freaking break. I will never downplay his on the field impact, the man wears Championship rings, but as a analyst and a radio show host, his knowledge of the game was sub par. As for a coach? Just go hit'em in the mouth, I gonna smack you in the mouth! Just shut your mouth! Only motivators, not technique my friends, not a coach at this level and I am positive of that. My sig remains unchanged.

Probably not as good as the one we have right now though.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. If you have not seen improvement of the d-line in '08 and this year under Carl & Papuchis, well, I don't know what you have been watching. D-line - and probably the whole defensive staff - is the last place we need help at.

Would Peter be able to coach the o-line?

Jason would be an awesome Defensive Line Coach.

Being loud, in your face and telling stories from the glory years is exactly how not to motivate this generation of student athletes. Jason Peter if he wanted to could become a great coach, but let him climb the ladder like he insist everyone else do. Try Division III first or even high school.

:yeah

This is why I don't have a major problem with the fact that his show is now over with. I do feel bad in the sense that it was dropped quickly and that it apparently had good ratings, but Jason Peter was often too arrogant and too 'holier than thou' when talking on his program.

I mean yeah, I get it Jason, you were a great player and you deserve our respect. That said, it's possible that your opinions can just downright blow at times.

Refer to my signature as reference this man does not know the college game. He had not been back to Nebraska game until his job and book came out. Even during the Solich years, you can go listen to tapes of the show. I listen to him everyday. Everyone's response will be, well why did you listen to the show so much if you thought he was such as idiot, this is because Jeff Wilkerson was the brains of that show, that kid will be radio/broadcasting for the rest of his life. Jason gave him BS all the time for this and that and sometimes it was downright rude. The Double Idiot was a great football PLAYER, not commentator and will never be a coach. How many times can you listen to a man "who knows the game" repeatedly not know the rules and not know Husker history. My father and I would repeated have conversations about historic games that were referenced incorrectly, even about Tommie Frazier. (Peter tried to compared Green and Frazier while failing to mention we were embarrassed at Iowa State Fraziers freshman year.) Am I glad a man lost his job? Absolutely not, but could I see this coming, in a heart beat. I am sorry the guy DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE RULES. Suh is a great player and he would critique him for everything, "If they kept tackles records the way they did now I probably would have had about 400," give me a freaking break. I will never downplay his on the field impact, the man wears Championship rings, but as a analyst and a radio show host, his knowledge of the game was sub par. As for a coach? Just go hit'em in the mouth, I gonna smack you in the mouth! Just shut your mouth! Only motivators, not technique my friends, not a coach at this level and I am positive of that. My sig remains unchanged.

Wow, lots of hate in this post. I listened to Peter's show over the internet on pretty much a daily basis and I enjoyed it a lot. He and Wilkerson made a good combo. I think you read waaaay too much in to some of the stuff he says. A lot of comments came across as 'tongue in cheek' to me. And as far as your comments about his perceived possible future coaching style....it mirrors what he was taught from McBride, 80% emotion, 20% technique. I tend to disagree with that attitude in this day and age of college ball - a big part of defending spread offense is discipline and technique - as evidenced under Pelini. It makes for good radio though, when you don't agree with the view of the host it pulls you in.

It sounds to me like you doubt his love of the program? I think this guy bleeds scarlet and cream. Just because he didn't come back to games until after his book came out doesn't mean he wasn't a Husker through and through. If you read his book he talks a lot about what playing at Nebraska meant to him and how pro ball couldn't touch it.

To me, he didn't drink the Kool Aid, and yeah at times he could be almost over the top in his critique of the team and players but look at what the teams that guy came from. They crushed everyone week in and week out with very rare exceptions during his career. They had an extremely high standard that they as players made everyone live up to. I still remember hearing stories about how Wistrom and Peter used to make second and third team defensive players run steps because they let teams score on them in garbage time.

With all that, I think he ends up doing radio somewhere, but unfortunately no in Lincoln. It was probably too small a market for it's own local show to begin with.

To me Wilkerson and Peter were the Odd Couple of radio. Wilkerson was indeed the brains and was turning the dials during the show. Peter provided a no holds barred attitude and sometimes brutal honesty. Together those 2 opposites had a very entertaining show. I think the cancelation of their show was a big mistake, but if there are advertisers and $ to be had by someone else picking up their show, then another station will pick it up. I think the show would be much bigger if it was carried in Omaha on a stronger signal. I don't know if I see Peter joining the NU staff. He would definately have to take a few lumps from Bo as well as check his tough guy attitude at the door and not lose his temper.

I don't think Peter would make a good coach. At least, nothing I heard on the radio made me think he would. But as a radio personality, he's excellent.

He already mentioned he'd be doing a radio show in Texas. Maybe he'll come back up to Nebraska's airwaves in the future. I'd listen to him again.

I am only sad to see the show go because it was the only local programming on ESPN radio that we had. I routinely enjoyed listening to Peter and Wilkerson, but won't fret about not hearing it anymore. I thought Peter brought a great locker room perspective to the show and that was his niche. I hope that Three Eagles or whoever becomes our ESPN radio carrier puts a local show on in lincoln soon. I like the syndicated shows that we get, but it is nice hearing local programming once during the day too.