Okla. St., Ole Miss get Cotton Bowl bids

Maybe I am just be bias due that I live in DFW, but I believe Nebraska deserves this Bowl Game IF (that is a big if) they were to lose Saturday Night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=4703041

Ole Miss gets return invitation

Comment Email Print Share

By Richard Durrett

ESPNDallas.com

Archive

DALLAS -- The AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic matchup will feature Oklahoma State and Mississippi, a source close to the game confirmed Tuesday.

The Jan. 2 game will be played at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington for the first time. The selected teams won't be made official until later this week or after Saturday's Big 12 and SEC championship games.

The Cotton Bowl gets the first selection of Big 12 teams after the BCS is determined, making Oklahoma State (9-3) an easy choice. But the Capital One Bowl takes the first SEC West team ahead of the Cotton Bowl, and they will likely take LSU. That left the Cotton Bowl to choose between Ole Miss (8-4) and a handful of 7-5 teams.

Mississippi defeated Texas Tech in the final Cotton Bowl played at the Cotton Bowl stadium last January. Oklahoma State faced Ole Miss the last time they went to the Cotton Bowl in 2004. The Rebels won that game, 31-28, behind Eli Manning's three touchdowns (two passing, one rushing).

Oklahoma State, which has dealt with the suspension of playmaking wide receiver Dez Bryant and numerous injuries, had been considered a candidate for a BCS at-large berth before Saturday's loss to Oklahoma.

Ole Miss started the season in the top 10 and jumped into the top 5 before losing to South Carolina. Mississippi also lost at home to Alabama and on the road at Auburn and Mississippi State.

Interesting. Apparently the idea of us playing the same stadium twice in a row was too off-putting for the Cotton Bowl people. I've heard OSU fans do not travel all that well. If we lost close to Texas, I would think we would be the best choice for the Cotton. Finishing the season with five straight wins followed by a close loss to the #3 team in the country means Husker fans are a lot more enthused about the bowl game than Okie St. fans, after getting embarrassed in their spotlight rivalry game with OU.

I have a feeling if Arizona does beat USC this weekend, that still won't affect their Holiday Bowl bid. Apparently the sponsors want USC regardless.

I think that the PAC 10 has agreements with the bowls that make them take the teams based on place of finish in the conference unlike the Big XII that allows the bowls to pick whom they want. USC goes if Oregon beats Oregon St. and USC beats Arizona because there would be 4 teams tied for 2nd and then the Holiday Bowl could pick 1 of the 4. If Oregon St. wins then Oregon goes as it would be 2nd all alone.

I just purchased my Holiday Bowl tickets this morning. Got lower level tickets on the 10 yard line on the Big 12 side for $70 each. The prices will be twice this amount by Saturday night.

And just to clarify, in order for USC to go to the Holiday Bowl, they have to beat Arizona this Saturday AND Oregon must beat Oregon St. this Thursday. If either of these scenarios does not happen, then USC has no shot at the Holiday Bowl. The Holiday Bowl has an agreement with the Pac-10 that they MUST take the Pac's #2 team. But the bowl selection committee is allowed to choose among any teams that tie for second place. If SC beats Zona and OU beats OSU, then OU will go to the Rose and there will be a huge glut of teams tied for 2nd. The Holiday Bowl reps have already said they would take SC in that scenario. My friend, who is an SC alumnus and a huge Trojan fan, said he doesn't think SC fans would drive down to San Diego for the game. That's hard to believe, but I do know that Trojan fans are very fairweather.