Bought off refs = Texas win.

Just posted this in another thread:

There is so much stuff going around I don't know what to believe but this is the Big 12 Championship...an explanation is clearly due. I am sure there must be reporters digging through archives right now...surely there must be another college football game in history where the clock was out and time was put back on and gave a team another play? If so, I'd really like to see how the circumstances stack up against what happened tonight.

Look if this has precedence in past and rule can be explained to Bo and TO then so be it. But, if not then this is serious crap and NU should be Big 12 Champ.

It's not the first time I've seen this before. This happened this year in the Notre Dame-SC game. The clock went to 0:00 than the refs reviewed it and time was put back on the clock and ND got another play from like the 4 yard line.

Limitations on Reviewable Plays

ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.

However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those

involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable. This excludes

fouls that are not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c

and d, 12-3-4-b and 12-3-5-a).

Mind saying where that comes from?

Cause its not in anything I posted...

Ok... I see that you have edited your post to include a source...

Now this brings up another problem, because IIRC Conference rules overrule NCAA rules, so then:

Plays Not Reviewable

Article 4. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.

Comes into play because nowhere in the Big 12 rules does it say something to the effect of "Any rules not discussed herein will be covered by the NCAA rulebook"

So... that means that the play clock is NOT reviewable in Big 12 games

But it really should be. (reviewable)

Would you really want to win on that technicality?

But the pass interference call when Colt tried to throw it away..Why was that not reviewable?

And what is that..a 30 yd penalty for kicking the ball out of bounds?

The better (overall) team won.

Just posted this in another thread:

There is so much stuff going around I don't know what to believe but this is the Big 12 Championship...an explanation is clearly due. I am sure there must be reporters digging through archives right now...surely there must be another college football game in history where the clock was out and time was put back on and gave a team another play? If so, I'd really like to see how the circumstances stack up against what happened tonight.

Look if this has precedence in past and rule can be explained to Bo and TO then so be it. But, if not then this is serious crap and NU should be Big 12 Champ.

It's not the first time I've seen this before. This happened this year in the Notre Dame-SC game. The clock went to 0:00 than the refs reviewed it and time was put back on the clock and ND got another play from like the 4 yard line.

Ya... the funny thing about that game is that the home team was not a Big 12 team... therefore they don't use the Big 12 replay rules which are different that other conferences and the blanket NCAA rules...

But it really should be. (reviewable)

Would you really want to win on that technicality?

But the pass interference call when Colt tried to throw it away..Why was that not reviewable?

And what is that..a 30 yd penalty for kicking the ball out of bounds?

The better (overall) team won.

Its not whether they made the correct call after initiating the review or not... its about the fact that the game was over, and it should have stayed over. None of us have anything to do with the rules or why certain rules are made the way they are, but the simple fact is that they are rules... if you are not going to follow them, then why make them?

As for your second two comments...

Pass Interference is more of a judgment call, and without looking into it at all, I'd imagine that pass interference is one of the fouls that can't be reviewed... again, haven't looked into it so i'm not sure

I don't even know what you are trying to say on your last comment...

Agree with horrible holding calls they did not call against Texas. They tried everything they could to stop Crick and Suh and got away with it except the chop blocks.

As much as some of you may not like it. The 1 second back on the clock, was the right call. When the ball falls out of the bounds the time is suppose to stop, and it was pretty plain that once the ball was out the time kept going.

Plus the horsecollar maybe BS, but Asante really didn't need to do it, O'Hanlon and Hagg were right there to make sure he didn't get more yards. the only reason Asante did what he did, was to trying to move the spot of the ball back. Big mistake by him.

Adi has been kicking the ball great all year, and for one of the most important kickoffs this season, he boots it off to the side and it bounces out of the bounds. Ideal area you want to kick it is endzone for a touchback.

As for the PI, unfortunately it was the right calls, Hagg didn't turn around to look at the ball. The only PI i do not agree with was the pass way over the receivers head where he even quite going for it because he knew he couldn't catch it. That was a horrible call.

That's what I thought to but this article http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1812650.html says that the ball has to hit something first.

overall....i thought the ref,s did a good job with the game....in a big game like this, emotions run wild, and wild observations are like the stars, many. if nu just had a better offense , what a year they would have had...the defense this year was a national championship type...no doubt about .

big 12 refs dont call holding

Isn't that the truth. When we played Texas (A&M fan here), they held Von Miller (who is the national sack leader with 17) all freaking night without a call. Drove me crazy.

Unfortunately as you said, it seems to be a problem with the entire big 12. Everybody holds without getting calls. It actually shot Texas Tech in the foot last year. They got to their bowl game, the refs started calling holds, & it threw their whole game off.

big 12 refs dont call holding

Isn't that the truth. When we played Texas (A&M fan here), they held Von Miller (who is the national sack leader with 17) all freaking night without a call. Drove me crazy.

Unfortunately as you said, it seems to be a problem with the entire big 12. Everybody holds without getting calls. It actually shot Texas Tech in the foot last year. They got to their bowl game, the refs started calling holds, & it threw their whole game off.

But hey atleast they know about pass interference. :lol: It seems they can't wait to pull the flag out for that.

Unless I'm mistaken, the time on the game clock is only reviewable when the play is already under review for another reason and a call is overturned.

I was yelling at my TV but no one seemed to hear. How is this not a controversy??!?!??!?

Do I have my rules wrong? I don't think I do.

Also, because the game had already ended... I wonder if that is the case and the issue is raised, could the loss be overturned by the Big XII? Crazy I know, but just throwing it out there. If the game is over NU wins 12-10.

If anyone knows the official rule could you post that? Comments?

The official policy is life isnt fair. Bo willbe spending part of his Championship bonus on fines from the Big 12... This is politics, Nebraska is a very small ant in the grand scheme of things.. See Nobel Peace Prize nominees (the ones who took bullets) 2009.

My take on the officiating:

There were two pass interference calls that I thought were harsh the main one was when the Texas receiver was 5 yards out bounds to begin with and never even knew the ball was comming, that was an absolutely horrible call.(+1 for Nebraska)

There was a no-call unneccesary roughness penalty that should have been thrown against Nebraska when a Cornhusker DB tattooed a Horn receiver after the kid took about 5 steps after dropping the football.(+1 for Texas)

How many chop blocks can you get called for before you get ejected? The reason a chop block is a personal foul is for player safety issues.(+1 for Nebraska)

The kickoff where the Texas returner dropped the ball on the 1 yard line but was ruled down was clearly the wrong call, Texas was able to move the ball out of there which in retrospect seems to be ingored.(+1 Texas)

The clock issue, the ball does hit the ground with time on the clock, that issue seems to be not argued by the most ardent Cornhusker supporters but the issue of why it was reviewed is the issue. I think for both schools sake the NCAA or the Big 12 should really make a strong statement for both schools about this today. If the play is reviewable then it is owed to your shool to clarify the rule it should be explained to Texas as well to give them the peace of mind that they won fairly. If it should not have been reviewed then let the sh#t storm continue.

I think the balance of bad calls was about even, the real question is the clock and I would like to see an explanation today from the powers that be.