Blackshirts on national stage

HANC

Because my head is about to explode re-hashing the entire scenario of the final 2 minutes and reading topics that point fingers, making excuses (both which I have done, so I am not attacking anyone), I thought I might go onto a different tangent.

How important was last night's performance by the Blackshirts on national tv to turn in a performance for the ages vs the Longhorns? Everyone in the media "gushed" and still are "gushing" over their performance.

Suh's recognition and the fact that he should win ALL 6 of the awards that he is a finalist for, and should be in top 5 on Heisman voting will also go a long way in helping NU bring "talent" to NU.

IMO, this game was a HUGE recruiting tool, despite the loss. Maybe it will help sway guys like Owa and Cooper to NU, along with planting seeds in high school juniors who aspire to play at that level.

This staff will have the defense playing at the highest level for a long time.

I'm hoping people see the massive lack of an offense we have right now, and decide to come to NU because they know they have a chance to play right away.

I agree that our defensive recruiting from here on should be more than phenomenal. What pisses me off is that the offense has completely flipped, and is almost as inept as the defense was in 07. I hope Pelini has the wisdom to see what needs to be done here, and it may involve some bad news for some on the staff.

I'm hoping people see the massive lack of an offense we have right now, and decide to come to NU because they know they have a chance to play right away.

Or maybe d-recruits see a lot of three and outs and think that they will get a lot of playing time since the offense isn't on the field. <_<

It sure can't hurt our recruiting. Any upcoming HS defensive player worth his salt was pointing at the tube last night and saying "I want to play on a defense exactly like THAT!" I don't think the weak offensive performance would scare away offensive recruits either. They know that our offense will be turning around, and they might think that they'll get a lot of playing time in right away.

Yeah I'm hoping the offense quickly decides on a fix (whether that be coaching changes or committing to a style). Then kids can say ok here's what we have and what the coaches have done to the defense shows that we can compete with anyone and a good offense should be enough to tip the scales for NT contention.

Yes, I am really proud of our defense. I am in So. CA and people are coming up to me wanting to talk about Suh. Think of the job the Pelini Bros. did with him. Under the old regime he was good but it was like they thought he had maxed his potential...dude has been coached up to be ALL WORLD! Dillard is like a new player under the Pelini's! And how about a guy like O'Hanlon and how the coaching has benefited him...he has improved so much. Guys like Crick, Prince, Dennard, and Gomes...no way are they playing like this without our defensive staff. I am really excited for some of the young guys coming up...we have seen some playing time from Compton, Meredith, Steinkuhler, etc. I am excited to see Ankrah and what he can do. And P.J. Smith can be a good one too. I love Eric Martin...just get him on the field. And I hope a guy like Blue (who was fairly solid prior to injury) can re-emerge in the mix. Defensive recruits gotta come here if you want to be part of the best defense in the country...Blackshirts R Back!!!

:bonez:bonez:bonez

O'Hanlon looks like a whole new player this year. See him flying down the field to hit Colt McCoy on a run? He locked on like a missile and shot in there.

Gomes has just made plays for us all year. I'm excited about the potential of our secondary next year...they'll need to be better, too.

Here's my projected DB starters for next year:

CB: Dennard and Amukamara

NB: Either Gomes or Hagg

DB: Either Gomes or someone stepping up, maybe Blue if he gets to pre injury shape

FS: Smith or Thenarse (depends on if he gets Medical Redshirt)

SS: Hagg or Thenarse

This does not take into account anyone who steps up or Freshmen ready to play.

Really I have a hard time changing something that works, but Hagg has shown an inability to guard someone running a fly pattern. He's probably had somewhere between 3-5 Pass Interference penalties for face guarding over the season. He'd probably be a better fit at a safety position, which we are losing both starters next year.

Dennard needs to learn how to catch and stay healthy but otherwise he's done a good job. Gomes has been very good as our Dime Back, will that translate to him earning a starting spot next year? Who knows.

Thenarse is a good hitter and could end up being a player like Asante next year if he gets a medical reshirt for blowing out his knee during the ULL game.

Smith has done good when he's gotten to play and hasn't made any glaring plays where he did bad. Overall he looks like he could be a good player.

Really I think outside of Suh and possibly Dillard (depends on if Compton or whoever are able to play dime like he did, or we may just go into a 7 DB set) I think of the positions that we'll have to replace seniors on next year, I think there's going to be very little drop off of production.

Really I have a hard time changing something that works, but Hagg has shown an inability to guard someone running a fly pattern. He's probably had somewhere between 3-5 Pass Interference penalties for face guarding over the season. He'd probably be a better fit at a safety position, which we are losing both starters next year.

Smith has done good when he's gotten to play and hasn't made any glaring plays where he did bad. Overall he looks like he could be a good player.

Really I think outside of Suh and possibly Dillard (depends on if Compton or whoever are able to play dime like he did, or we may just go into a 7 DB set) I think of the positions that we'll have to replace seniors on next year, I think there's going to be very little drop off of production.

I agree totally about Hagg. If he would have turned around and found the football on the Pass Interference call in the endzone he could have picked that ball off.

The coaches believe that they have something special in PJ Smith. He got some good experience this year as well.

I hope Lavonte David (assuming that we get him from everything that I have read) has a smooth transition to big time CFB. He will be on campus in January (again, assuming we get him) ready to learn our system. He is an upgrade in terms of athleticism from most of the other backers that we have on our roster.

Here's my projected DB starters for next year:

CB: Dennard and Amukamara

NB: Either Gomes or Hagg

DB: Either Gomes or someone stepping up, maybe Blue if he gets to pre injury shape

FS: Smith or Thenarse (depends on if he gets Medical Redshirt)

SS: Hagg or Thenarse

This does not take into account anyone who steps up or Freshmen ready to play.

Dennard needs to learn how to catch and stay healthy but otherwise he's done a good job. Gomes has been very good as our Dime Back, will that translate to him earning a starting spot next year? Who knows.

Thenarse is a good hitter and could end up being a player like Asante next year if he gets a medical reshirt for blowing out his knee during the ULL game.

As much as the Defense has to play Nickle sets, you may as well consider Gomes a starter since he will be on the field ALL of the time. I agree for the most part of how you have it listed. I think NB is either Gomes or Hagg, unless Hagg moves to Safety full time. The Back up NB and the DB could be a lot of different players. Lazzari Middleton (who is on a RS this year but the coaches really like his abilities), Blue (if he is healthy), Thorell (who played the DB a lot this year), West (I know, I know but coaches love him and he will be a Sr.), oh and Andrew Green (another possible future stud).

At Safety, losing 2 seniors hurts but I really like the potential of PJ Smith, Thenarse could be a big factor, Hagg should be moved and should be a stud at the position, Dijon Washington will get a shot to compete, Courtney Osborne is up on the charts so it appears that Marvin has a lot to work with in the back 4-7 next season. Great news is that he has 2 great players at CB to build around next season.