A worrying thought...

Gut reaction is that we need to bring someone in.. however our history with transfer qb's is pretty bad (Keller, Lee).. so i don't think that is an option

I'm not giving up on Green, I think he'll improve tremendously this offseason... he has an entire game of film to be evaluated on and has gained some good game experience... he needs to be our guy.. sorry if i was entirely sold that Lee is terrible before last nite, i am now convinced. Gabbert isn't the answer next year and Spano's knee really leaves doubt in my mind if he will ever be able to fully recover and trust it.

Our offensive line also as a lot of improving to do.. and we lose our biggest leader in Hickman too... We have two great recruits committed for 2011 and i know that does us no good for next year.. but it is a glimmer of hope for a bright future we will have under bo

Let's be honest husker fans, we all trust the Pelinis, we trust them because frankly they're the sh*t. Bo knows what's good for Nebraska.

That being said, my mom (Biggest husker fan I know) and I were discussing the game this afternoon and she brought up a worrying thought..."How bad must Cody Green be if we continue going back to Zac Lee?"

Now that got me thinking, obviously we in red are clamoring for SOMETHING...ANYTHING to give our offense, well, ANY sort of hope, and that starts with the QB, so we've been calling for Cody. But if it's true that we trust Bo to know what he's doing, and if it's true that everyone, Pelini included, realizes how poorly Zac is playing out there (Along with the rest of the offense, granted) then shouldn't it logically follow that Zac is the lesser of the two evils we have for QB?

Now, I'm not talking smack about Cody, frankly, we haven't seen him play enough to get any kind of idea how good (Or bad) he really is. But it's an intersting thought, and frankly, a scary one, that Zac might really be the best we have, or else you'd figure that he'd be gone already...

Thoughts?

(FYI - This is merely an academic question, so if you're p*ssed about it...get over it, lol)

Cody Green is NOT bad. He's a FRESHMAN (caps used to emphasize a point, not to offend you).

He's going to be a very good QB at Nebraska, IMO. Just give him time. What true Freshman QB's can you think of, without looking it up, have had good true Freshman seasons in a BCS conference? Barkley was the #1 recruit and had a load of talent surrounding him and yet he still struggled MIGHTILY for big chunks of the season.

I know the offense is subpar but really, there's zero reason to panic about Cody Green. He's going to be good, he was a 4* recruit for a reason, but furthermore, Bo Pelini brought him to Nebraska for a reason as well.

In short... Relax. :)

Um, can anyone tell me why the hell we have 5 Defensive Ends committed in this recruiting class?

Nepotism aside for the Cotton kid, why do we need 4 DE in this class?

We could use a few more positions of emphasis on the offensive side of the ball.

Oh wait, we are going to lose the WR Carter due to Carl talking about us switching to a more running style during the breakfast on Friday.

Lil Gabbert? unless he is phenomenal, I don't want him here, and he might be re-thinking again.

Oh yeah, all the offensive talent out there is already taken.

Someone was just out of there mind to recruit CG.

His high school film is crap.

What BO wants is bible thumpers (oh no, I said it)

You want championships?

You gotta recruit the Lawrence Philips and Johnny Rodgers of the world.

It's nice to have "character" players, unless you are tired of losing.

Osborne won with allot of good character players, but also a good helping of thugs too.

He just cared enough to try to develop them.

BC even recruited a few questionable ones, "Culbert" etc.

Bo thinks winning will cure all the recruiting issues...

Newsflash, defense DOES NOT ALWAYS WIN championships.

Where are the OLine recruits? or are you going to convert half the DE's into OL's???

Maybe that is the plan...

I don't see how NU does any better than 9 wins next year...

rant off/

Jesus, I hope this was sarcasm.

The kid is only a true freshman, give me a break. He is green, and has never played at this level with this kind of speed coming at him, and the offensive line isn't doing much to slow it down.

Cody will develop, and I would say give him another year, he may very well be the starter, if he isn't next year. The kid has a great arm, and can run, and from from all indication has a good head. So let's just let the coaches develop him along their time line.

I honestly think they pulled Lee for that one series just to get in his head and make him slow down and think....not that it worked all that great. Too bad they can't pull the offensive line and do the same. They are the root cause of our problems.

Let's be honest husker fans, we all trust the Pelinis, we trust them because frankly they're the sh*t. Bo knows what's good for Nebraska.

That being said, my mom (Biggest husker fan I know) and I were discussing the game this afternoon and she brought up a worrying thought..."How bad must Cody Green be if we continue going back to Zac Lee?"

Now that got me thinking, obviously we in red are clamoring for SOMETHING...ANYTHING to give our offense, well, ANY sort of hope, and that starts with the QB, so we've been calling for Cody. But if it's true that we trust Bo to know what he's doing, and if it's true that everyone, Pelini included, realizes how poorly Zac is playing out there (Along with the rest of the offense, granted) then shouldn't it logically follow that Zac is the lesser of the two evils we have for QB?

Now, I'm not talking smack about Cody, frankly, we haven't seen him play enough to get any kind of idea how good (Or bad) he really is. But it's an intersting thought, and frankly, a scary one, that Zac might really be the best we have, or else you'd figure that he'd be gone already...

Thoughts?

(FYI - This is merely an academic question, so if you're p*ssed about it...get over it, lol)

Good post and I only disagree with you on one point. I noted it above. As far as I'm concerned fixing the offence begins with 3 other things. The line, the line and the line after that the quality of your team will rise with the quality of your skill players. For example Frazier had great lines in front of him. Those O-lines allowed Tommie, LP and Ahman to show case just how really great they were.

T_O_B

:)

Thoughts?

Good post and I only disagree with you on one point. I noted it above. As far as I'm concerned fixing the offence begins with 3 other things. The line, the line and the line after that the quality of your team will rise with the quality of your skill players. For example Frazier had great lines in front of him. Those O-lines allowed Tommie, LP and Ahman to show case just how really great they were.

T_O_B

:)

Totally agree with TOB, Tommie or Crouch would not have been near as good if it wasn't for the big boys up front doing their job, even last year the line gave Ganz a chance to sit back and fire the ball, Lee has hardly had enough time to set and let the receivers run their routes w/o someone chasing him or getting in his face.

The kid's a TRUE freshman, and its not the Osbone offense where there's only 5 different plays run out of 10 different formations. This offense is too damn complicated for a 1st year player to take on. Lee knows it better, but his talent can't back it up, Green is obviously a better talent, but aint got the Off. figgered out yet. Hence Sam Keller and Joe Ganz. It was Keller's 1st full season (he played scout team his bench transfer year) running the offense and Ganz 4th. That's why Ganz made him look pitiful when he got his shot. This is a "ride the bench for 2 or 3 years to learn, they play 1 or 2 years when you have it down" offense. and that's what scares me. We never really sit on one guy to build a substantial run with liek we did Frazier and Crouch, cuz they cant handle mentally. It's a constant game of musical QB's, playin only juniors and seniors cuz of their mental grasp on an offense that frankly, I beleive is just too complicated for college football. Now i know theyve simplified over the last 6 weeks and went to power, but our current personnel is not built for that either.

Spano?

Spano for starter next year!

You could stick Brett Favre behind our current O-line and he would not shine. There is going to be a QB battle of epic porportions come next spring. The best man will win and trust the staff on who they will select. Putting Green in on those plays where we were at our own 1 yard line was Watson's best play calling of the year. Why we didn't do the same thing on 3rd and short anywhere else on the field is puzzling.

Might as well add my $.02. If we're just going to try to run the ball in an effort to not make errors (game plan against UT, for example), then why not put Green in? He's actually a threat that you would have to account for as opposed to Zac Lee. I mean, it's painful watching him run the option...just don't do it! Now, if you're going to have to put it up, I think Lee is your guy. I don't think Green is there yet in the passing department. The throws you made in high school just aren't there. With all that, we need to find some game breaking wide receivers...ASAP. Kinnie looks to be coming along but we need a go to guy who plays every down. Paul is close but not quite. Maybe next year he'll be that guy. Until then, if we're going to hang our hat on trying to run and not make mistakes, give Green some snaps.

I don't see anything wrong with questioning if he is actually as good as people made him out to be after one run against Arkansas State. He was only a true freshman back then as well but that didn't stop folks from saying how great he was.

It is quite reasonable to ask the question. Consider that most of the schools that recruited Cody were looking at him as an athlete and not as a QB.

I stated (as did many others) when they blew Cody Green's redshirt that it was a mistake at that point. Time has shown that this initial concern was well founded. Green should have redshirted this year. As it were, you wonder about the kids confidence. When he has played he has played poorly and looked visibly shaken. He must know how bad Lee is doing and how little confidence the team has in Lee. And yet, if he is thinking about it, he'd know that the coaches trust him even less (otherwise he would be playing). So, that too must be a confidence deflating issue for Cody Green.

It is a bad situation.

Honestly, as has been pointed out already Green is young and things can change. He may end up fine. I hope so. That said, I would really, really be surprised if Green ever is much of a QB (if he had that potential, a rational coaching staff , after burning his shirt as they did and in view of how poorly Lee is playing, would certainly have had him starting by now --- and since we have a rational coaching staff, it follows that Green has showed very little potential so far). Moreover, I would not be surprised if Green is never really much of a contributor --- at least at QB.

What does that leave NU with at QB? Who knows? Martinez, Spano, Lee or Green. We know seemingly about the last two (and have reason to be well.... disappointed) and know nothing about the first two. Hopefully we have a D1 QB on the roster.

Thoughts?

Cody isn't bad he's young and inexperienced! He has tremendous potential and you will see him improve.

I was also personally upset to see him only get one series. I think the kid would have gotten it done given another chance.