Should we bolt for the Big 10?

craigsker

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nebraska does not meet the academic standards of the Big 10, therefore, don't look for the Huskers to be invited. Any disagreement with this fact is futile.

University of Iowa...nuff said...

Iowa has one of the best med-schools in the country.

T_O_B

I think all this talk of going to the big 10 is just plain stupid. Why would we want to go to a conference that everyone hates? Our program is on the rise in the second best conference in the nation. When nebraska is back, we will be in THE best conference in the nation. All this just because some southern team bias?? Whatever. Big 12 is my favorite conference bar none. We won't leave, and we shouldn't leave.

I would also bet you they know Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Mack Brown. How is it after year after year these coaches can reload and rarely have a bad season? Nebraska hasn't had a well known coach since T.O. Frank Solich and Bill Callahan are reasons why we haven't had the same talent in the last 10 years or so. I would guarantee you that they know Pelini better than those two. Course he probably wears his LSU national championship ring when he recruits. People move around so much they hardly stay in one spot. This isn't the 50's where nobody knows other teams outside their conference. yes there are more educated people than me when it comes to recruiting but don't sit there and tell me it's strictly the conference we play in which is the deciding factor when it comes to recruits.

Those coaches recruit in some of the most football fertile regions of the country. Say what you will about Tressel but Ohio has some of the best football talent in the country year in and out. Carroll has CA locked down and Brown and Stoops control Texas. Nebraska will get the talent from various spots in the country like they did back in the 90s. The recruits will come especially on defense it is just getting those one or two difference makers on offense.

So apparently we need to be in a conference with Texas schools for recruiting, yet we were much, much better in the Big 8 (and first couple of years in the Big 12, when the recruits from those years hadn't taken hold) when we weren't in a conference with Texas schools. We got some decent players out of Texas back than, like Gill, Thomas, and Berns to name a few off the top of my head.

I'm not seeing a good correlation in being in the Big 12 with Texas schools and recruiting.

I understand there were other factors, the obvious one being Osborne vs. Solich/Callahan.

Maybe we'd have better luck getting the top players and some 2nd tier players out of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, etc, than getting mostly 2nd tier players out of Texas after UT, OU, A&M and Tech have their pick.

Not taking the subject too seriously, just saying that recruiting in Texas isn't a slam dunk reason for being in the Big 12.

....we aren't going anywhere...this is just a stupid discussion...are we really that bored? :(

THANK YOU!

for the record, Husker_99. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I would be willing to bet my car, house and everything I own that if you went and asked all of the Texas kids on our roster and ask them if they would have come here if we were in the big 10? Ask them that if they had grown up through out high school without the nebraska exposure in the texas papers from Nebraska traveling there to play games. Ask them if they would have even known who we were? Do you ever read comments about recruits out in the far west or far east regions? When asked about leaders and who is recruiting them, when Nebraska pops up, alot of them will say "I don't know very much about Nebraska, but they've been recruiting me hard".....hmm. I wonder why that is? ITS BECAUSE WE DON'T GET EXPOSURE IN THOSE PLACES!

please tell me there are more educated people when it comes to recruiting on here...sorry that may have been a bit much, but i'm just a little PO'ed that you thought it was crap.

:rant

I would also bet you they know Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Mack Brown. How is it after year after year these coaches can reload and rarely have a bad season? Nebraska hasn't had a well known coach since T.O. Frank Solich and Bill Callahan are reasons why we haven't had the same talent in the last 10 years or so. I would guarantee you that they know Pelini better than those two. Course he probably wears his LSU national championship ring when he recruits. People move around so much they hardly stay in one spot. This isn't the 50's where nobody knows other teams outside their conference. yes there are more educated people than me when it comes to recruiting but don't sit there and tell me it's strictly the conference we play in which is the deciding factor when it comes to recruits.

Grow a brain cell my friend.

Tressel's not a good example. He's good...in the Big 10. You can't compare the Big 10 to the Pac 10 or Big 12. The Big 10 won exactly ONE (1) bowl game last year. It's true that OSU dominates the Big 10, but for crying out loud, it's the Big 10. OSU is good (in the Big 10 that is) because they have the entire state of Ohio to recruit from. Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton.

If NU moved to the Big 10, their recruiting would be limited to a few fly-over states. Yes, NU being in the Big 12 is ALL about recruiting. How many of our southern states boys do you think would be here if we were in the Rust Belt Conference? A fraction. That's how many. You going to fill up your roster with boys from Omaha and Bugaha? Good luck with that.

You look at the Big 10 teams that aren't near major population centers, they SUCK. Purdue, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa (yes, they suck). That's EXACTLY what NU would become. Obscure. Under-talented. No media exposure. Irrelevant.

The Big 12, and the constant exposure to the states of Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and TEXAS, is the best damn thing to ever happen to Nebraska. We just need to step up and win the conference.

This is dumb. Let's move on.

So Nebraska was irrelevant before the Big 12? Is that what you are saying? The Big 10 might suck right now but it won't always be that way. Conferences are always up and down they are never constant. You forget Ohio St. won a national championship this decade and been in two others. My point is they are getting to BCS bowls and what has Nebraska gone to other than the National Championship Game in 2001? While Nebraska is getting like 100,00, Ohio St. is racking in millions for each BCS bowl game they go to every year. Most kids want to go to schools that are constantly in the big games. Same thing for Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops. When you are playing in Big Bowls every year it won't matter what conference you are in. The way you are acting you act like we are already an Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, etc. If you want to get down to it even Utah/Boise St is doing better than us and they are in a weaker conferences.

....we aren't going anywhere...this is just a stupid discussion...are we really that bored? :(

THANK YOU!

for the record, Husker_99. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I would be willing to bet my car, house and everything I own that if you went and asked all of the Texas kids on our roster and ask them if they would have come here if we were in the big 10? Ask them that if they had grown up through out high school without the nebraska exposure in the texas papers from Nebraska traveling there to play games. Ask them if they would have even known who we were? Do you ever read comments about recruits out in the far west or far east regions? When asked about leaders and who is recruiting them, when Nebraska pops up, alot of them will say "I don't know very much about Nebraska, but they've been recruiting me hard".....hmm. I wonder why that is? ITS BECAUSE WE DON'T GET EXPOSURE IN THOSE PLACES!

please tell me there are more educated people when it comes to recruiting on here...sorry that may have been a bit much, but i'm just a little PO'ed that you thought it was crap.

:rant

Grow a brain cell my friend.

Tressel's not a good example. He's good...in the Big 10. You can't compare the Big 10 to the Pac 10 or Big 12. The Big 10 won exactly ONE (1) bowl game last year. It's true that OSU dominates the Big 10, but for crying out loud, it's the Big 10. OSU is good (in the Big 10 that is) because they have the entire state of Ohio to recruit from. Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton.

If NU moved to the Big 10, their recruiting would be limited to a few fly-over states. Yes, NU being in the Big 12 is ALL about recruiting. How many of our southern states boys do you think would be here if we were in the Rust Belt Conference? A fraction. That's how many. You going to fill up your roster with boys from Omaha and Bugaha? Good luck with that.

You look at the Big 10 teams that aren't near major population centers, they SUCK. Purdue, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa (yes, they suck). That's EXACTLY what NU would become. Obscure. Under-talented. No media exposure. Irrelevant.

The Big 12, and the constant exposure to the states of Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and TEXAS, is the best damn thing to ever happen to Nebraska. We just need to step up and win the conference.

This is dumb. Let's move on.

LOL this is completely laugable. Are you saying Nebraska was irrelevant in the Big 8? Seriously? How many BCS bowls have Nebraska been to in this decade? How many has Ohio St.? The Big 10 won't be down forever and conferences always have up and down years. For most of the Pete Carroll years the Pac-10 sucked and USC was the only shining star in that conference.

back during the big 2...cough, 8 i mean. Nebraska never played anyone other than Oklahoma and a couple times CU or KSU was good but rarely.

Nebraska was elite at that time, yes, not arguing that, BUT it helped only having to worry about OU most of the time, and again, we lost, most of the time to OU.

either way, its pointless because ignorance is not reversible therefore I can't convince you that you are wrong.

I hope someday we do change conferences where there is no Texas exposure and watch us go from being "great" or "good" to being on the level of Michigan State/Wisconsin.

I wish I could be wrong about this, but i'm not. Sorry.

for the record, I would take 8-4 in the big 12 over 10-2 in the big10 and be laughed at when losing a bowl game and being called overrated like IOWA.

back during the big 2...cough, 8 i mean. Nebraska never played anyone other than Oklahoma and a couple times CU or KSU was good but rarely.

Nebraska was elite at that time, yes, not arguing that, BUT it helped only having to worry about OU most of the time, and again, we lost, most of the time to OU.

either way, its pointless because ignorance is not reversible therefore I can't convince you that you are wrong.

I hope someday we do change conferences where there is no Texas exposure and watch us go from being "great" or "good" to being on the level of Michigan State/Wisconsin.

for the record, I would take 8-4 in the big 12 over 10-2 in the big10 and be laughed at when losing a bowl game and being called overrated like IOWA.

You still aren't right. You are just delusional. You do know the Big 12 is really down this year right? Nobody was really dominant. I will be laughing all night when Alabama rips apart Texas. TBH there isn't a bowl that the Big 12 is in that is automatic win.

Also you do know that Iowa won their bowl last year right? might want to do fact checks before making stupid statements.

There's no better way to prove you are right than to repeat the same things over and over, all the while throwing condescending insults at those who disagree. Where did you learn that tactic the Charlie Wiess school of debate?

I wouldn't mind leaving the Big 12. The whole league is Texas' anyway. They always whine until they get their way on every single issue. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 12 title being played in Austin annually within the next 5 years.

We move to the Big 10, and have an east/west division with:

West- Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin

East-Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue

You'd have 3 powers in each division.

As for the Big 12, they could move both Oklahomas up to the North, and invite TCU to come in to the South. That would balance out that division better anyway.

Additionally, this would enable us to schedule OU every year, as an OOC rivalry much easier.

Those coaches recruit in some of the most football fertile regions of the country. Say what you will about Tressel but Ohio has some of the best football talent in the country year in and out. Carroll has CA locked down and Brown and Stoops control Texas. Nebraska will get the talent from various spots in the country like they did back in the 90s. The recruits will come especially on defense it is just getting those one or two difference makers on offense.

it will take a lot more then 1 or 2 guys to make the offense go...it is totally inept, except for Helu.

Really it wouldn't change anything, just trading which two teams the conference caters to and will screw over everyone else for. Texas and OU are clearly the preferred teams by our administrations. The Big 10 does the same thing for OSU and Mich, and maybe to a lesser degree for Penn State.

What would be better for us would be for the NCAA to take over ALL officiating, no more conference control and have the refs assigned just before the games. It would go a long way to killing some of this favoritism.