Who are some of your all time favorite Huskers?

suh_fan93

Ohhh boy...the list is endless but I'll put in my 1,000 cents. I apologize ahead of time for slaughtering any name spellings:

Favorite Announcers: Kent Pavelka and Gary Sadlemyer!! Thank you for the wonderful memories fellas! I'd pay to have these two in the booth again. Nothing against anyone current or prior.

Kenny Walker-agree with the sentiment that he was amazing as a player, then add his deafness and the whole Mimi Mann(?) part and it is just a great story. I believe the crowd and Kenny signed "I love you" back and forth or something like that for his last home game.

Broderick "Sandman" Thomas-cocky but he was kinda a first of the newer generation of Rush Ends.

Baron Miles-might be one of the best corners ever as far as shutdown types and his size makes it all that more impressive.

Corey Dixon-so much heart, like Baron, for his size.

Cory Schlesinger- demolition derby on 2 legs. I will never forget those 2 scoring runs to put the dagger in the heart of the 'canes-watching with misty eyes and profound, deep Husker pride as TO finally wins his first title after coming sooo close so many times.

Dan "Danimal" Alexander: What a beast with a big heart. I loved watching his lowly 4.55ish speed leave Ben Kelly's 4.2 in the dust.

Both Double Nickel Peter Brothers--Peterbilt. Loved their intensity, their sense of humor and everything about them. Growling, snarling and infectious. Just as proud to be a fan of theirs today as I was when they played.

Grant Wistrom- he did have the physical tools and the motor just pushed it over the top.

Jared Tomich- you've got to include him in the same breath as the Peter Brothers, Grant, Terry Connealy and Dwayne Harris/Donta Jones. Kevin Ramaekers comes to mind here as well.

Johnny Mitchell-just a great all around athlete. It's too bad we didn't get to see his full career.

Derek Brown- what a tough, gutsy runner and my favorite of the "we-backs" because he was a tough runner who always collapsed the tackler and gained YAC. He was so shy but such a pounding runner. I think Rex is very similar in style.

Keithen McCant-proud as hell of the way this guy stepped up his senior year.

Mike Anderson- prototypical MIKE

Zach Weigert- when he came around the end of the line with those arms "cocked", look the heck out. I loved watching him sending guys pinwheeling across the turf. I remember Derek Brooks saying that Zach hit him harder than anyone had and I believe this was after he was in the pros.

Will Shields- great guy, great player, great athlete.

Dave Rimington- our center was always "false starting"...lol. A man among boys in his day.

Aaron Taylor-too bad he was "too short" to play elsewhere in college. Our gain! Very versatile and a beast in his own right.

Aaron Graham- the quiet, cerebral player and absolutely one of the best.

Jim Scott- I remember him being called something like a pickup in the middle of the big rigs when they referred to our OLine with him in it. Heart!

Clint Finley-what a hitter. Remember him knocking a KSU lineman on his rear on a pick by Joe Walker, I believe. Stoned him. Joe Walker was great as was Eric Johnson and Eric Warfield.

Mike Brown- possibly our greatest safety ever. Sure tackling. He and Tyrone Byrd are in my Top 5 I'd say.

IM Hipp- my first fave player.

Roger Craig- loved his running style.

I'm leaving off some of the more obvious ones because we know who they are, even though some of the above are obvious too.

Not one single mention of one our greatest players of all time.

Rich Glover, a smaller version of Suh.

The only difference, in the game of the century against All American Center Tom Brahaney, he had 22 tackles. He and Johnny Rogers on the same team. 1 and 3 in the Heisman.

Turner Gill, just because he is what he is. A great man.

Cory Ross, no need to explain, most are sick of my man crush on Pork Chop.

Zac Taylor, thank god for him, being a Nebraska fan could have been a much worse situation without him.

Kenny Walker. A true inspiration to any and all who watched him play.

And Suh, not just because I think he is the best Husker there as ever been, but because he lived up to his commitment to his parents and this program. For being the great person that he is on and off the field.

Jamie Williams

Wikipedia One of the friendliest people I met in college.

Ex-49er Jamie Williams breaking new ground at Academy of Art University

When I was newspaper sports writer covering the 49ers beat, tight end Jamie Williams was someone I relied on for deep, philosophical answers on a wide range of subjects related to the team.

Williams shattered the stereotype of the tunnel-visioned pro athlete who rarely thought of issues beyond the playing field or locker room.

Some 14 years since retiring from the NFL, Williams is still busting stereotypes and dancing to his own unique beat. Make that, Dr. Williams. After playing his final NFL season with the Raiders in 1994, Williams went on to earn a masters degree in mass communications from San Jose State and his doctorate in education from the University of San Francisco.

Williams now has the perfect job for someone who likes to go against the grain. He’s the athletic director at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, building an NCAA Division II program from the ground up. This is the Urban Knights’ inaugural year.

NCAA sports at a private art university may seem like an odd mix to many. But to Williams, it’s a perfect match.

“Personally, I’ve always broken the mold,” Williams said. “Somebody just came up and showed me a picture of when I had dreds (in the NFL) before anybody did. I’m smiling in the picture like no problem.

“When I was in college (at Nebraska) I was doing the creative, artsy thing. Everybody thought it was different, but I was the top cat in my class in terms of that field of study (broadcast journalism). At the time, I was chasing linebackers in the Big 8.

“That’s my big problem, people putting restraints on others because of what they don’t believe. I think that’s the wrong answer. If a kid loves art, has a passion for it, but is also proficient in a sport, who are we to take that opportunity away from them?”

On the school’s athletics web site, Williams has his mission statement. It reads: “I seek to inspire through the three A’s: Academics, the feeder of intellect and wisdom; Arts, the emancipator of spirit and expression; and Athletics, the builder of physicality and courage.”

The university has six men’s teams (baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer and track and field) and seven women’s teams (basketball, volleyball, softball, cross country, soccer, tennis and track and field). And yes, these teams offer scholarships.

Not surprisingly, as a new program the Urban Knights are taking their lumps this year, and Williams said he has experienced some dark days.

“But the highs outweigh the lows for sure,” Williams said. “Because there’s a there there. There wasn’t before I came and put the (program) together.”

Former Warrior Peter Thibeaux is part of the coaching staff that Williams hired. Thibeaux coaches the men’s basketball team while ex-Stanford and WNBA guard Lindsey Yamasaki leads the women’s team.

Williams credits university president Dr. Elisa Stephens and her father, former president Dr. Richard A. Stephens, for the decision to create an athletic department. According to Williams, they’re both “huge sports fans” who want to include a few traditional college touches to their non-traditional university as a way to bring students together.

“They understand that athletics can kind of break down inherent fragmentation that you find at schools that have a lot of different disciplines,” Williams said. “Sometimes there’s a disconnect there.”

Of course there are plenty of students who question the move.

“People inherently don’t like change,” Williams said. “The athletics part is not just about going to a game and cheering. It’s also about intramurals and living a holistic life with wellness. That’s all part of it, too.”

The Brown brothers were great, especially Mike. I really liked Julius "Magnet-Hands" Jackson and Joel Mackovicka was a guy I tried to emulate when I started playing fullback.

Ralph and Mike Brown weren't related.

Yeah, I know they weren't, but they always kinda seemed that way to me, especially after seeing the College Gameday piece on how they were roommates and how Mike tried to get to sleep really quick because Ralph's snoring was so bad :) .

Langston Coleman. Come on, the first Husker walk-on has to get a mention.

Johnny Rodgers

Mike Rozier

Neil Smith

The Makovica Bros.

Dejaun Groce

The Brown bros. (iktnrb)

Demorrio Williams

Grant Wistrom

Eric Crouch

Toniu Fonoti

Cory Ross

The Bullock bros.

The Rudd bros.

Suuuuuuh!

And my Dad would hate me if I didn't also mention Jeff Kinney............and besides those this list could go on and on and on.