1995 Huskers the best college football team ever?

OK just went back and watched this game again for the first time in 14 years. I was kinda tipsy during that Fiesta Bowl and didn't really fully appreciate what that Husker team did.

In that championship game you had an undefeated Florida team led by Danny Wuerffel who had best passing efficiency season in college football (210 completions-325 attempts-3266 passing yards-35 TD passes) He was absolutely shut down by the Blackshirts of Wistrom, Peter brothers and Farley.

Tommie Frazier really should've won Heisman that year he was the best player in college football. Had 199 yards RUSHING in game vs Florida and Lawrence Phillips had close to 165 yards rushing.

In the end Nebraska set school records in a bowl for total yards of 629, rushing yards of about 520, individual rushing yards in a game by both Frazier and Phillips and most points scored. People argued that Osborne shouldn't have played Phillips but his backup Ahman Green had a great NFL career with the Packers so I really don't think that was the factor.

25-0 during that 94/95 back to back National Championship season and if it was wasn't for a missed FG at the last minutes of the game in 1994 Orange Bowl against Florida State in their 18-16 loss we would've been THREE PEAT champions.

Now USC back to back championship teams a few years back with Linehart and Reggie Bush were one of the best ever but that stretch in the mid 90s by Huskers I don't think will ever be surpassed.

The 1997 Huskers beat the Tennessee Vols against one of the best NFL QBs ever in Peyton Manning. They put up 42 points and 534 total yards against them and had to share the national title which was a joke.

So if not for a missed FG in 94 Orange Bowl the Huskers would've had national titles in 93/94/95 and 97 season. Had 36 wins in that 93-95 team stretch.

Ok so I made my argument so who else was that dominant other than USC a few years ago?

Going by the stats, 1995 Nebraska has been consistently voted the best college football team of all time.

The fewest points they ever scored was 35, and the smallest margin of victory they had was 14 points. They also played 4 top 10 teams, manhandling each one. If you go and see how those schools finished their seasons, you can see that they weren't pushovers and that the Big 8 was having a huge year.

Nobody can statistically compare with the 95 Nebraska squad, not even the '01 Miami team. 95 Nebraska just couldn't be stopped.

erby is still one of the best analysts at ESPN. Although I think Jesse Palmer is by FAR the best if you had to look at all of them. Him and Craig James are seriously the only people that I ever listen to that don't seem to be very bias in any direction.

I could be way off on that but in my opinion JP and CJ should be the game day crew now that Corso has had that stroke he's just not as fun to listen to. :dunno

erby is still one of the best analysts at ESPN. Although I think Jesse Palmer is by FAR the best if you had to look at all of them. Him and Craig James are seriously the only people that I ever listen to that don't seem to be very bias in any direction.

I could be way off on that but in my opinion JP and CJ should be the game day crew now that Corso has had that stroke he's just not as fun to listen to. :dunno

CJ, although he didn't play there, is a UT homer. The whole thing with his son and TTech really soured him for me but usually he's a "good gosh-golly" kind of good ol' boy.

If you have some extra time try whatifsports.com. The 95 Huskers kill everyone, under every condition.

Tommie did deserve the Heisman, but so did Eddie George. I wonder, but I am not going to look it up, if that was the last year that the Heisman winner did not play in the NC game

If you have some extra time try whatifsports.com. The 95 Huskers kill everyone, under every condition.

Tommie did deserve the Heisman, but so did Eddie George. I wonder, but I am not going to look it up, if that was the last year that the Heisman winner did not play in the NC game

Ricky Williams, Ron Dayne, Carson Palmer, Tim Tebow.

It's hard to compare football teams from different eras because the game has changed so much from the power running styles of the 40s and 50s to the spread style teams of the late 90s and 2000s.

It's really hard to argue against the 95 Huskers being the best CFB team ever.

The teams Bud Wilkinson of OU had from 54-57 (31-0, 2 NC) would be comparable to the 94-97 Huskers in their complete dominance of their competition. Their string of 47 straight victories from 10/10/53 to 11/16/57 where they beat 9 ranked teams (1, 3, 8, 12, 12, 14, 15, 15, 20) by the AP still stands as a NCAA record today.

It's hard to compare football teams from different eras because the game has changed so much from the power running styles of the 40s and 50s to the spread style teams of the late 90s and 2000s.

It's really hard to argue against the 95 Huskers being the best CFB team ever.

The teams Bud Wilkinson of OU had from 54-57 (31-0, 2 NC) would be comparable to the 94-97 Huskers in their complete dominance of their competition. Their string of 47 straight victories from 10/10/53 to 11/16/57 where they beat 9 ranked teams (1, 3, 8, 12, 12, 14, 15, 15, 20) by the AP still stands as a NCAA record today.

And they only ranked the top 20 back then, not the top 25, so by today's standards, it could be more ranked teams.

CJ, although he didn't play there, is a UT homer. The whole thing with his son and TTech really soured him for me but usually he's a "good gosh-golly" kind of good ol' boy.

And that's a good thing? :hmmph

No, no it's not. When he announces I usually get the impression that he's a little slow, therefore I should tolerate him as an equal-opportunity or Americans with Disabilities Act sort of thing.

Herbstreit looks pretty bad when he questions whether the 95 Huskers played any tough competition.

That team was the best EVER, no doubt.

He looked like an idiot when he said that. If you're going to be the one questioning all the results, at least get your facts straight. Four top-ten teams in your schedule isn't exactly what constitutes a "lack of competition."