Ten Things We Learned From Bowl Season

GSG

3. Jared Crick is a force to be reckoned with. Though I spent most of the 2009 season -- OK, all of it -- pumping up the Heisman candidacy of Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh (watching his 4.5 sack Big 12 Championship Game performance was like watching your kid dazzle as the lead in a grammar school play), it was fellow Huskers DT Jared Crick who impressed me most in Nebraska’s 33-0 Holiday Bowl whooping of Arizona.

The ‘Huskers D forced Arizona into Holiday Bowl records for futility with just six first downs, a measly 109 yards of offense, 51 offensive plays and nine punts. The Wildcats didn't get into Nebraska territory until the first drive of the third quarter. Remember, this was a team that had beaten USC in Los Angeles less than a month earlier.

Crick, only a sophomore, was breathing down Arizona quarterback Nick Foles’ back from start to finish.

“He’s the next Suh,” Suh told reporters after Crick’s fine performance on Dec. 30.

At 6-foot-6, 285 pounds, Crick finished the year with 70 tackles, second only to Suh’s 82. He also had 9.5 sacks, second to Suh’s 12. With Suh facing double teams against Baylor on Oct. 31, Crick recorded a school record 5 sacks and 7 tackles for a loss.

“(Suh) is a good player, but I’ll tell you what: The guy next to him isn’t far off,” said Bo Pelini at the Holiday Bowl. “He’s a hell of a player too. The other guy is only a sophomore.”

NFL scouts love Suh, but from what I hear, they really dig Crick too. He should be a preseason All-American heading into next year. Consider yourself warned.

Schrager 2009-2010 All-Bowl Team:

QB: Tim Tebow, Florida; 482 yards, 3 touchdowns

RB: Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss: 184 yards, 2 touchdowns

RB: Jared Tew, Air Force: 173 yards, 2 touchdowns

WR: Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green: 17 catches, 219 yards, 3 touchdowns

WR: Ryan Broles, Oklahoma: 13 catches, 176 yards, 3 touchdowns

TE: Kyle Efaw, Boise State: 4 catches, 75 yards

OT: Anthony Davis, Rutgers

OT: Bryan Bulaga, Iowa

G: Mike Iupati, Idaho

G: Rodney Hudson, Florida State

C: Maurkice Pouncey, Florida

Defense:

DL: Jared Crick, Nebraska

DL: Jerry Hughes, TCU

DL: Adrian Clayborn, Iowa

DL: Marcell Dareus, Alabama

LB: Pat Angerer, Iowa

LB: Scott Lutrus, Connecticut

LB: Rolando McClain, Alabama

DB: Matt O’Hanlon, Nebraska

DB: Joe Haden, Florida

DB: Brandyn Thompson, Boise State

DB: Chris Thomas, Air Force

Rest of the story here

Living just south of the Palouse it's nice to see Iupati get some recognition. Although he has to have the most unfortunate last name I've heard in a long time, pronounced like you-potty.

I watched that game and was extremely impressed with that guy. Not only huge and physical, but he had great feet.

I have heard some people say Crick has the same tools as Suh, just needs seasoning. Crick is a great player and if Baker is a quick learner i think our D-line not only doesnt take a step back, they take a step FORWARD!

I ripped on O'Hanlon all year but he has been solid the last few weeks.

GBR

Agreed!! D-Line will be solid. Secondary will be stellar. Linebackers might need some work, but I'm sure Bo & Co. will take care of it.

:restore

Linebackers will be better next year. Compton and Fisher will get better, they did pretty good for it being their first year seeing the field.

I would say that Crick is probably gonna reach Suh's level. I dont think he will out shine Suh.

I think its safe to say Crick sophomore season was like seeing Suh in his junior season.

Sit back, close your eyes and just savor this for a moment...........we've been waiting basically a decade to be relevant again. Isn't it far nicer to ponder things like whether Crick will equal or surpass Suh versus something like "where in the heck are we going to get competent defenders and a DC so we don't get tossed for 50, 60 or 70 points again?" We've come a long way baby. Yeah, there's road left, but we're burning up the miles.

With all this media attention will come even more talented recruits, which our coaches should hopefully turn into even more success. All we've had to listen to for the past years is how weak and pathetic and unworthy we were to be in the same conference as OU and UT. Now it looks like we might be the highest ranked B12 team going into the season next year. My my.....times are changing. Enjoy it! :cheers

I have heard some people say Crick has the same tools as Suh, just needs seasoning. Crick is a great player and if Baker is a quick learner i think our D-line not only doesnt take a step back, they take a step FORWARD!

GBR

rumor is baker switches to OT and meredith moves to DT. therefore Ankrah starts at DE

GBR

rumor is baker switches to OT and meredith moves to DT. therefore Ankrah starts at DE

There isn't any basis for this rumor. The coaches gave baker the option of playing offensive or defensive line. He chose to play on the d-line. He has played at that position for two years, and will be the starter this year. Why would he switch now? He would be learning a completely different position. Besides the fact that we have depth at the o-line now, and he would be 5 steps behind on the learning curve compared to players in his class.

Meredith is settling in very nicely at the d-end spot. Expect He, Pierre Allen, and Ankrah to all contribute this year. This kind of depth is a wonderful thing and does not necessitate position changes.

I believe Crick "could" wind up better than Suh. Here's my reasoning. COACHING. Crick is already as good if not better now than Suh was as a sophmore, and Crick has already had 2 years under proven coaches, whereas Suh had his first 2 seasons under some idiots, and he still turned out to be great. This is said with full understanding that Suh probably has more natural talent, but i still believe in this possibility.