Maine not impressed with NU???

Foppa

:bang

:lol: I never thought you would give up. I am done with this thread right here and now. NU is louder than montana hands down :horns2

Lb Knox is gonna get rocked, GO BIG RED :clap

Don't be too harsh on this young LB from Maine. I have been to both stadiums and can attest that Montana's stadium is every bit as loud as NU's, if not louder. There are two major factors that contribute to the loudness of Washington Grizzly Stadium.

1. The seating places 23,000 plus crazed fans practically on top of the field.

2. The stadium is situated right next to two mountains that reverberates the noise around the stadium.

So, if you haven't been to both, don't assume 78K is necesarily louder than 23K.

WGS was recorded at 115 decibels last year during the playoffs. Near the equivelant of a jet engine.

OK, gotta step up for my team.

I'm a long time Griz fan, I live in Missoula and have attened every Montana Grizzly home game since 1993. (And many on the road as well).

Last year we played Maine in the 2nd round playoffs, but there was a scheduling mixup for ESPN, our side of the bracket was supposed to be a night game so we could be broadcasted nationally on ESPN 2 but our stadium doesn't have lights. I know, it's weird, we are the best stadium in 1AA football, and have the best attendance, but we don't have lights for night games. Well the problem was solved, ESPN brought out some moble units that lit the fields up, for pictucres check out the UM's main discussion board, www.egriz.com

That was the very first night game in our stadium, and the crowd was electric, it had never been like that before, we were as loud and rowdy as we've ever been. Maine came into the game saying, "No big deal, the noise cannot be worse than when we played Rutgers, they had over 35,000 fans at that game. Well the UM fans stunned the players and coaches with how much noise we made, and afterwards it was the same comments we had heard many times before, "We did not expect that much noise."

2 years ago Western Illinois came to Missoula, and said the noise wouldn't be a big deal because they had played against LSU that same year. After the game, where WIU had 6 false starts and 4 delay of game penalties, they were saying, "yeah, it can get loud here." -- Keep in mind, not saying as loud or louder than LSU.

Montana fans are proud of their team, and the noise that we can make. I'm sure when this Maine LB shows up to hear 77,000+ screaming, it will be louder than the UM, no doubt at all. But what he was saying is that he has played in some real "loud" football games, and the loudest he recalls was in our home stadium.

Also if you don't think we have any track record for having a great game day experience, look at Sports Illustrated's top 25 stadiums for college football, printed about a year ago. We were listed as 25th in college football, not in 1AA, but all of college football, we were the only 1AA team mentioned.

Thanks Grizzly fans, and welcome to our board. We have a great group of guys and girls on here. Some are just a little over protective of our team.

Thanks for the history lesson on Montana. I have never attended a game there so the information is much appreciated.

I think some here and possibly the reporter took these comments out of context. But what the heck he got some fans cranked up. All is good in the end.

I have always respected Montana Football in the 1AA Division. You guys have proven yourselves quite well by winning mutliple 1AA National Titles.

As stated above, no one is doubting your abilities to get the job done or the loyalty of your fans, we just dont like some youngster comparing our stadium to yours.

That's like comparing apples to Orange Bowls. :thumbs

Forgive them lord for they not know what they speak! I am from Minneapolis and My family has had season tickets to the Vikings since the mid '60s The Metrodome has been the site of 2 Super Bowls and is recognized as one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL, I have been to 80+ Vikings games and Griz stadium is as loud as the Metrodome. About 4 years ago we played Sam Houston State in a home playoff game I went over to the visitors section when the game was well in hand in the 3rd Qtr, and offered to trade my Griz hat with a Sam Houston hat. An older Guy stood up and held his hat up and we traded, he yelled out this is awesome! He went on to say that his daughter was a cheerleader for Sam Houston, but he was a Texas A&M alum he said this is louder than a Texas vs. Texas A&M rivalry game, he said no one at home would believe this. He said he was now a lifelong Griz fan from that point on. Oh and our tailgate is also 1st rate. So take the *********** and understand Nebraska just might not be the worlds mecca of football. Good Day!

[Edited by Admin]

Okay, here goes. You won't see me do this very often for our arch rival Montana but I will support them on this one. I'm a Montana State fan and I have been to a lot of NFL/NBA/HOCKEY arenas and I have yet go to a place where it is louder than Washington Grizzly stadium. Is it because of their fans? Somewhat yes, but it's also because of the way it is built (dug) down into the ground and is made up of solid concrete stands on all sides. This keeps the sound noise in BIG TIME. Invesco/Mile High stadium had 75,000 fans as well, but in no way was it louder than Washington Griz Stadium (111 decibals in the playoff game last year for the Griz). So in short, yes .. a 1-AA team can have a very loud stadium with 24,000 fans. lso, the fans are a lot closer to the field at Washington Grizzly stadium as well which could also add to the increased decibal level.

Welcome to all of the new members from other boards, we appreciate your perspective and anecdotes. Ive really enjoyed reading all of your posts & learning more about your traditions, so thanks for sharing!

GF Griz,

I edited your post, which was very informational & legitimate until the corn-cob comment. If you have experience with message boards, as it seems you do, you should know that those type of comments are flame-bait and usually only cause things to spiral downward.

Thanks again for everyone's input - very interesting discussion.

Take it easy Griz. No one was badmouthing your stadium and program. No need to get testy. He was just stating his opinion. The poster was comparing your stadium of 23,000 to a stadium of 77,000. He looked at the big crowd difference as comparing apples to oranges. I don't think he doubted your crowd noise. I'm sure it's very laud there.

But there's more to it than just crowd noise. It's the overall gameday atmosphere. It's the 77,000 people who are dressed in red that make Memorial Stadium in Lincoln one of the most colorful stadiums in the country. Many of the recruits from last year's top five class came to NU partly because they were in awe of the gameday atmosphere. They looked up and saw all those people dressed in red. It's quite a site. As far as the overall atmosphere, Montana's stadium can't be compared to a Nebraska, Michigan, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc.

I'm sure you have a wonderful stadium, and perhaps comparing it do other stadiums of similar size, it's state of the art. I'm sure Rosenblatt Stadium at times during the College World Series was as laud as some major league ballparks. And when comparing the Blatt to other minor league baseball parks, it's state of the art. But comparing the Blatt to major league stadiums that hold 40,000 to 50,000 is comparing apples to oranges.

Respectfully, Griz, you are welcome to disagree with me. Your reply is welcome anytime. But please try doing it in a tame way. -- Spartness

So, if you haven't been to both, don't assume 78K is necesarily louder than 23K.

In some stadiums yes, i.e. Minnesota, Purdue, something like that. No way, no how, not in my lifetime could ever compare 23K any fans to 80K screaming Nebraska fans on Husker football Saturday. I respect your team fully, but it's very difficult for me to believe this is equal.

Welcome to all of the new members from other boards, we appreciate your perspective and anecdotes.  Ive really enjoyed reading all of your posts & learning more about your traditions, so thanks for sharing!

GF Griz,

I edited your post, which was very informational & legitimate until the corn-cob comment. If you have experience with message boards, as it seems you do, you should know that those type of comments are flame-bait and usually only cause things to spiral downward. 

I didn't read GfGriz's corn cob comment, but your outrage is very selective, Admin. Where was your concern about "flamebait" at the beginning of this thread, when your fellow Husker fans were making ignorant sheep jokes about Montana?

Maine may not have a chance against NU, but this Montana fan will sure be cheering for them. I hope you guys go 0-11 this year (although if you do, I'm sure it will do nothing to stem your ignorance about the world outside of Lincoln, NE).

Goodbye,

--GL

Welcome to all of the new members from other boards, we appreciate your perspective and anecdotes.  Ive really enjoyed reading all of your posts & learning more about your traditions, so thanks for sharing!

GF Griz,

I didn't read GfGriz's corn cob comment, but your outrage is very selective, Admin. Where was your concern about "flamebait" at the beginning of this thread, when your fellow Husker fans were making ignorant sheep jokes about Montana?

Maine may not have a chance against NU, but this Montana fan will sure be cheering for them. I hope you guys go 0-11 this year (although if you do, I'm sure it will do nothing to stem your ignorance about the world outside of Lincoln, NE).

Goodbye,

--GL

:lol: Take that Blackshirt

GF Griz,

Goodbye,

--GL

:lol: Take that Blackshirt

Aww damn, right to the kisser. You see Law, it was not flamebait b/c there were no Montana fans involved in the discussion at the time - therefore, it was not directed at any CURRENT member to "bait" them into a tirade.

It is well within our members right to make friendly sarcastic jabs to stay entertained during the long off-season. So assuming the comments are not obscenely crude or offensive towards another member, or in violation of our rules it is perfectly acceptable and pretty typical message board banter, which Im sure goes on just the same at the board you frequent. And the lone inane sheep reference I found above was far from obscene. The Griz member that made the corncob reference was a direct attempt to incite our members -- and if any of our "Husker" members happen to do the same to our new "Griz" members, the same course will be taken.

Now lets put this petty crap behind us and get back to the purpose of this thread. You guys seem like you have a great venue for CF and are pretty classy overall, and Im now actually very intrigued to go see a game. :cheers

Will Grizlaw, you have been very selective yourself by only focussing on a few negative things that were said, but ignoring many of the nice things Husker fans have said about Montana. Come one. There were some very positive stuff here. Why are you ignoring that? I will say it again. I'm sure your stadium is wonderful, and you have great fans. I wish your the team the best of luck this year. Now don't act like we are all a bunch of horrible people.

I think this better be moved to Behind the Woodshed. And if these Montana fans, who I welcome on this board if they would just discuss football, want to continue this flaming, they should only be allowed to post there. Come on you Montana posters, don't get so upset. It's our board anyway.

A Div-AA fan is trying to school a team from Div-A? Excuse me for a few minutes while i laugh. Sorry but i find it hard to believe montana and its fans could be louder then a highschool team in texas. Is it possible that 23,000 fans can be louder then 78K fans? Not in this world we occupy. Is it possible for 78K fans to outdo 100K fans? Yes because i have bene to games at Nebraska and the rosebowl (100K capacity) and our loud noise still beat them. If you guys had 50K, then i would say maybe, but 23K? I wasn't born yesterday