McNeill Fired

default_28

ESPN Article

Texas Tech defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill and four other assistant coaches were fired Wednesday as new Red Raiders coach Tommy Tuberville cleared the way for his own staff.

McNeill and assistants Lincoln Riley, Clay McGuire, Brian Mitchell and Eric Russell were let go on Wednesday. A sixth assistant, Carlos Mainord, is retiring.

I guess Tuberville wasn't really true to his word. In the press release when he was hired, they said he would consider keeping assistants. Either that or he didn't consider it for very long.

Didn’t he keep a couple coaches and at least 1 Grad Asst? I would assume that is on par with what most new coaches do.

Yeah, but I think I read that he wanted to keep the offense the same, then he hired his own O-Coordinator, then fired Ruffin. From what I could tell, most of those players loved Ruffin, but I guess Tuberville feels more comfortable with his own guys. I can't say that I blame him, but I don't understand why he felt the need to pay lip service.

We had the same thing. Callahan wouldn't let Cosgrove go.

I never understood that one. I guess these coaches get their buddies early and hang on. That was part of the problem with Solich-hanging on to guys that were past their prime and just didn't have the energy anymore. Of course he did the hard thing and let his buddies go- well you know the rest of the story.

Of course Bo has Barney. I don't know if they go further back then 2003 but when I heard that Bo was bringing him aboard I had the same reaction as when I heard BC was bringing Cosgrove.