Chris Williams

In post #27, you admitted to doing the same exact thing. But, you would have liked to see guys booted off for smoking pot? Please clarify.

I wasn't given a free education. There's a huge difference in standards between scholarship athletes and students in general. One generic student smoking pot doesn't reflect on the whole university. One scholarship athlete does.

[/quote

Ok. I assumed maybe you thought I was alluding to harder stuff or steroids (although I think some of that was going on then, but a different story). I do find it odd, however, that you wouldn't want to win football games with pot smokers on the team although it was alright for you to do.

As for Lombardi, easy for him to say, given his team's success on the field. I bet the current head coaches of the Rams and Lions would take crackheads if they helped win on Sunday.

As Knappic said he wasn't given anything. these kids are given an education on the Athletic Departments dime. They sign statements saying the wont do anything to tarnish the University, and if they do they can be striped of there scolly or removed from the team. If Knappic got caught with a joint no one would care. Look at LP, that guy is still a black mark on our program, no matter the side you where on back then, not a year goes by where I dont hear some fan from some other team bring him up. These kids are from places were the rules, more than likely, never applied to them. They were the big dogs in high school, and did what ever they wanted.

As people said above, in the end the athletic programs are not to win games, but to make boys and girls into men and women. I honestly believe that while TO was coaching and now again under Bo, that is what they subscribe to, and that attitude is what garners respect from other programs. I would never want this program to get to the point where winning was so important that we would be OK with anything. If you want something like that, go be a Miami, or USC fan.

I thought I recalled Sean Callahan saying (or at least implying) on Big Red Wrap Up that CW wasn't working hard enough on rehab and it didn't look like he'd ever see the feild. Then again, maybe I was high. I regret we won't get this guy to play, he hit like a freight train in high school (at least on film).

BTW, I'M CHRIS WILLIAMS, AND SO IS MY WIFE!

In post #27, you admitted to doing the same exact thing. But, you would have liked to see guys booted off for smoking pot? Please clarify.

I wasn't given a free education. There's a huge difference in standards between scholarship athletes and students in general. One generic student smoking pot doesn't reflect on the whole university. One scholarship athlete does.

[/quote

Ok. I assumed maybe you thought I was alluding to harder stuff or steroids (although I think some of that was going on then, but a different story). I do find it odd, however, that you wouldn't want to win football games with pot smokers on the team although it was alright for you to do.

As for Lombardi, easy for him to say, given his team's success on the field. I bet the current head coaches of the Rams and Lions would take crackheads if they helped win on Sunday.

As Knappic said he wasn't given anything. these kids are given an education on the Athletic Departments dime. They sign statements saying the wont do anything to tarnish the University, and if they do they can be striped of there scolly or removed from the team. If Knappic got caught with a joint no one would care. Look at LP, that guy is still a black mark on our program, no matter the side you where on back then, not a year goes by where I dont hear some fan from some other team bring him up. These kids are from places were the rules, more than likely, never applied to them. They were the big dogs in high school, and did what ever they wanted.

As people said above, in the end the athletic programs are not to win games, but to make boys and girls into men and women. I honestly believe that while TO was coaching and now again under Bo, that is what they subscribe to, and that attitude is what garners respect from other programs. I would never want this program to get to the point where winning was so important that we would be OK with anything. If you want something like that, go be a Miami, or USC fan.

Yeah, I clearly remember saying I'd be ok with anything. What planet is this Huskerboard from? I want the old one back. Who the hell stole my avatar? Some of you would apparently be surprised at the team we'd field, if we could even field one, if we banned everyone who smoked pot since they set foot on campus. Yeah, I live in northern California, so it is more accepted, but most of the parents (who are mostly in their 40's) of kids in my daughter's elementary school smoke. I don't like the stuff much myself, but it is always around. Hell, Michael Phelps, whose sport is all about processing oxygen, which starts with the lungs, smokes (now that I think about it, the swimmers were the biggest druggies at NU when I was there). Do you really think that most of the football team doesn't? As for you canttakeitanymore, do you really think these kids, who you describe as never having to follow rules, come to Lincoln and immediately change their ways? Keep dreaming!

So...

Since we've jumped to the conclusion that he smoked pot...

Would your feelings change if pot were now legal?

(And would it be against a team rule?).

I'm on the fence with this one, but I've only tried pot a couple of times with no effect...(That's what I get for trying to smoke the stuff that's growing next to the fence).

Oh, absolutely. If it's not illegal, or if the age was 21 like booze and he were 21, I have no problem with it.

As a fan base, we need to learn to turn the page and move on. We spend an inordinate amount of time re-hashing scenarios and players that are long gone.

While I would tend to agree, what else are we going to talk about? Once the season is over we can gnaw the old bones of the games we played, but that plays itself out pretty quickly since we've discussed them at great length already.

I'm not advocating threads like this, and I think it's fraught with potential disaster to discuss allegations against this kid or that, but I get why people do it.

You mean something like this... Granted it's Javarrio, but seems like a trend to me

Eh. That could just be a hookah and tobacco. When I was at UNL a few years ago that was surprisingly popular.

(it probably is exactly what you think it is . . . but we'd be jumping to conclusions.)

Wearing sunglasses inside while smoking doesn't necessarily mean anything, but...

. . . said Adam James

I would have. Lombardi was dead on when he said it's not about winning, and ultimately, it's not. Most importantly, it's about doing things the right way, and turning these kids into responsible, decent human beings.

Lombardi schmombardi! It's etched into the stone on the side of our stadium!

It continues to astound me how many people have no idea what those phrases mean.

Not the Victory but the Action;

Not the Goal but the Game;

In the Deed the Glory.

It's not about doing whatever you have to do to win. It's not even about winning. It's about the pure pursuit of athletics, and through that, making better men and women.

You're wasting your breath, Landlord. If people don't know this by now, they're trying not to know.

you forgot this :boxosoap

So...

I'm on the fence with this one, but I've only tried pot a couple of times with no effect...(That's what I get for trying to smoke the stuff that's growing next to the fence).

Oh, absolutely. If it's not illegal, or if the age was 21 like booze and he were 21, I have no problem with it.

I agree with this per se. I wouldn't have any kind of problem with it, but would still hope to see the players refrain from anything of the sort. It's like how the team voted to abstain from alcohol this year, there isn't anything inherently bad about drinking, but it certaintly doesn't help you be a better football player, and you could choose something else to do that could benefit yourself or your teammates in a more positive manner.

So...

I agree with this per se. I wouldn't have any kind of problem with it, but would still hope to see the players refrain from anything of the sort. It's like how the team voted to abstain from alcohol this year, there isn't anything inherently bad about drinking, but it certaintly doesn't help you be a better football player, and you could choose something else to do that could benefit yourself or your teammates in a more positive manner.

I thought Suh admitted to having had a drink before his accident. Am I recalling incorrectly? Also inherent to alcohol consumption is the possibility of addiction and screwing up your life royally. Other than that, it isn't too bad though.